• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When Si Goes Wrong

soppixo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Si is about how you perceive, not something that makes you strive to perceive certain things over and over again. deciding to do something multiple times is an decision making process, even if its done unconsciously, Si is perceiving

It is hard to describe but Si can function as its own decision making process occasionally especially if the other tertiary functions are otherwise occupied or overwhelmed. On some level I am aware that my Si is running, but I don't always control the information it regurgitates to me, and sometimes when I'm not concentrating, I end up getting outdated information but because I'm so reliant on my Si being right, I don't question the information I receive until it is too late.

All this happens on a subconscious level, it is not like I purposely want to keep making the wrong move but because Si when left in charge always defaults to what it knows best, even if this "best" is actually wrong.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
jung says:

"These make themselves felt when, for instance, the intuitive suddenly finds himself entangled with a highly unsuitable woman-or, in the case of woman, with unsuitable man-because these persons have stirred archaic sensations. This leads to an unconscious, compulsive tie which bodes nobody any good. Cases of this kind are themselves symptomatic of compulsion, to which the intuitive type is as prone to as the sensation type."

In other words you stay in relationship with someone because he/she reminds you of your ex in some ways you cant consciously see.

" Not that he means to be inconsiderate or superior—he simply does not see the object that everyone else sees; his oblivion is similar to that of the sensation-type—only, with the latter, the soul of the object is missed. For this oblivion the object sooner or later takes revenge in the form of compulsive hypochondriacal ideas, phobias, and every imaginable kind of absurd bodily sensation."

these compulsive hypochondriacal ideas arent an product of Si, its obviously about N

even tho there is some sensation in the bottom of those hypochondriac ideas, but the idea itself is about perceiving possibilities and believing in them, which is N. you can see similar thing with all N doms(and aux to some, but usually lesser degree), they tend to assume things and orient themselves according to these assumptions.

where did you see jung saying that Si gives addiction to Ne dom? anyways, like i mentioned Si is perceiving functions, it does not make decisions, but i dont disagree that it cant make you see something in a way that would distort your judgment, but its the judgment that decides things, not perception. also these compulsions jung is talking about are mental compulsions, not physical compulsions that you see in OCD.

It's from Jung's original diagnostic tool for neurotics, which is where personality theory came from. The EN(F) or EN(T).

The words addiction and compulsions are actually used. I have links to this in my old blog from about a year ago, or so. The good Professor on Personality Nation introduced these.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It is hard to describe but Si can function as its own decision making process occasionally especially if the other tertiary functions are otherwise occupied or overwhelmed. On some level I am aware that my Si is running, but I don't always control the information it regurgitates to me, and sometimes when I'm not concentrating, I end up getting outdated information but because I'm so reliant on my Si being right, I don't question the information I receive until it is too late.

All this happens on a subconscious level, it is not like I purposely want to keep making the wrong move but because Si when left in charge always defaults to what it knows best, even if this "best" is actually wrong.

undeveloped functions can lead your consciousness without you realizing it. Si is not an decision making function in any way, it might just feel like it if those other unconscious (decision making)functions lead your consciousness without you realizing it, and your consciousness is mostly filled up with Si.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's from Jung's original diagnostic tool for neurotics, which is where personality theory came from. The EN(F) or EN(T).

The words addiction and compulsions are actually used. I have links to this in my old blog from about a year ago, or so. The good Professor on Personality Nation introduced these.

yes please link. but i dont see how this has to do with me not thinking that taking a wrong turn many times is related to Si.

soppixo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
undeveloped functions can lead your consciousness without you realizing it. Si is not an decision making function in any way, it might just feel like it if those other unconscious (decision making)functions lead your consciousness without you realizing it, and your consciousness is mostly filled up with Si.

I'm not saying that it literally takes over T/F as a function but rather when left to its own devices, can bypass the input of the actual decision making functions. I find it even more unlikely for my shadow functions to be taking over in this manner, as you say they operate in the deep unconscious of the human mind. Si works by viewing a problem and filling in the blanks with what it has known from the paths/consequences of decisions made previously by T/F. This is why I say it can occasionally function as its own decision making process, because it is essentially a sensory remembrance bank- it can regurgitate decisions made by T/F without any actual decision making input from either.