• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your type and other functions

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So it is considered rare for something like an INFP to have some good usage of Introverted Thinking. But do you go against the grain? Post what type you are and when and why you like or have to use other functions.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
So it is considered rare for something like an INFP to have some good usage of Introverted Thinking. But do you go against the grain? Post what type you are and when and why you like or have to use other functions.

What methods do you or other people use to tell what functions they are using? How do you know it is not just a misconstruing on their/your part about what you perceive a function to be when it is being used?

The nature of shadow functions means that they are put forth as something which is used, but usually only sparingly or when in moments of stress, otherwise they will end up tiring an individual out, especially if he or she is forcing themselves to act in a mode of operation that does not feel comfortable or 'natural' to their normal state.

Shadow functions CAN be developed, but ive never heard of any advice or reasoning that explains the benefits of doing so.
Besides if it is a perspective thing, I dont need to 'use' a function to any great degree, (since we do possess all 8 and 'use' them), myself in order to try and understand someone else's position.

For example, some might say that stucturing my life with lists would be a sign of Te. But im hardly going to become an advocate of impersonal logic used in a catagorically systemic basis just because of it.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
p2 - yeah that's exactly right, but how or why can't someone like to use two Ji functions? Imagine if the second was only used when say, something like music grabs their Fi's interest (for example, on some INFP career thing it explains something like 'once an INFP is devoted to a career, they will do their best to cover the details' or somethn), so they would use Ti in favour of Fi to understand how theory works and apply it, then it sounds good and inspires the INFP to use Ti more, etc. I was just wondering if anyone has odd strengths for a type, like an ISTP with developed Fe

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
p2 - yeah that's exactly right, but how or why can't someone like to use two Ji functions? Imagine if the second was only used when say, something like music grabs their Fi's interest (for example, on some INFP career thing it explains something like 'once an INFP is devoted to a career, they will do their best to cover the details' or somethn), so they would use Ti in favour of Fi to understand how theory works and apply it, then it sounds good and inspires the INFP to use Ti more, etc. I was just wondering if anyone has odd strengths for a type, like an ISTP with developed Fe

Because when they are mentioned as 'preferences' it isn't meant in the sense of you consciously choose the function and then that becomes your dominant or aux or whatever. The preference refers to an inherency in thought processing and information gathering....although you can consciously try to enage in acts that could be associated with a certain function.....but this is not the same as developing your weaker than weak shadow functions into something of use.

As for the example you used to explain Fi being shunted off in favour of Ti.....just...no. Afterall Fi is the dominant, of all the functions for a type the dominant is the least mutable since it is almost the definer through which the others are filtered. So for example the way Fi appears in an INFP may be different than the way Fi appears in an ENFP. Because with one it is the defining framework of all the other processes and with the other it is playing second fiddle to the perceptions of dominant Ne.

This doesn't mean that an ENFP and INFP will not share some similarities in terms of values, (although of course we are still individuals regardless of type), but there will be differences.

As for the Ti side of this, since it was used as an example, i'll mention that Ti doesn't really work with details so much that it breaks things down and then builds them up again all the time allowing a person to pick apart the inconsistancies of something using subjective logic, this helps with classification and sub-classifications of principals and whatnot, it also allows for a preciseness and accuracy in the evaluation and construction of frameworks.

In any case, even if there were such an odd person as an INFP who favours Ti over Fi....they most likely would not be able to keep this up for any length of time without causing themselves stress and tiring themselves out. Eventually they would find themselves reverting back to Fi because it is a more established and well developed preference.

However I do agree somewhat with one aspect of function theory when it comes to developing some over others and that is this idea that you can develop tertiary over auxiliary or even inferior over something, (excepting the dominant which is like the bottom set of a house of cards), because of some sort of life experience that an individual might have been subject to.

Of course whether or not there is any real evidence for this is unclear, but then again evidence is often hard to find when concerning theories such as these, at least non-heuristic evidence.

Actually ive thought of something else since you asked about using two Ji functions. Within the way the theory was constructed using Jung's work it is put forth that if extraversion or introversion is the attitude of the dominant, then as a balance so must the auxiliary be the opposite.

This is because as Jung observed a person possesses a capacity for both introversion and extraversion even though they usually have a clear preference for one over the other. This does not mean, however, that they are incapable of playing into the opposite field.

If a person were to have two leading introverted functions, let's use judging ones since that is the example you used, then such a person would theoretically be incapable of outward expression and vice versa that a person with two extraverted judging functions would find him/herself unable to introspect to any useful degree and therefore lack an internal anchor to themselves.

It makes more sense that there is a balance of attitudes than that there isn't. But this doesnt mean I am not open to new evidence and a good argument towards the other side of this; if someone can present one.

ps: You aren't allowed to use those with brain damage or some other form of neurological impairment, that would be cheating. We're talking so called 'healthy' people here.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I believe that we adapt to use different functions for various reasons - I consider myself to be in INFp, but I grew up with a lot of xNTx friends that influenced me in a lot of ways. I think the T/F test is not how well you can use either function, but which one influences you when it comes to important and/or difficult decisions. When I was younger, I used to make more logical decisions until I reached a point where I realized that putting logic before my heart and intuition was not leading to any sese of happiness or fulfillment. Having made that realization has not nescessarily brought me what I want, but I do now feel the decisionsisions I have made (Fi based decisions) are at least ones my conscience finds acceptable... I still consider myself to be very capable of using logic and thinking, and logic is still part of my decision making and planning, but in the end, I don't let it be the only deciding factor. I do illogical things, but there is an emotional logic that makes sense to me behind my decisions. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I use Si too recreationally and not usefully enough to be an SJ, but I use it too much to be an ENFP.

INFP doesn't make sense for me though cuz my sense of force and impression etc.... Well its more like Se or Te.

So what makes the most sense is to be a mature SFP (some people will snicker yeah right to that; i mean the mature part but really u guyz not seeing me IRL) who is very comfortable with either opposing personality complex or critical parent Si.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is hard to identify function usage by looking at behavior, since the same action can result from application of very different functions or function combinations. I sometimes do things that look like Fe, for instance, but are really a combination of Ni and Te, sometimes fueled by Fi. It is very hard (impossible?) for me to use real Fe.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] Yes I understand what Ti is and why we must have a main function and an opposite to balance it (as well as too opposing opposites (lolo) at the bottom of the hierarchy), but I'm just wondering why we can't like to use something else. I've heard it would tire a type more as they don't use it often ('it' as in none of the 4 top functions of any type), but it's not like it should not be enjoyable to use. Puzzles pretty much need you to utilize Ti, and if you look at how small the IxTP numbers fare to the rest of the types, then why should just IxTPs, for instance, buy a sudoku or a mah jong book because they use Ti? Lots of people enjoy them, so lots of people must enjoy using Ti and the gratitude that comes with figuring something out. Using your logic, how many INFPs would want to buy a book of sudoku because they just want to?

I think a good example is that an INFP prefers Fi to Ne, but he/she can still utilize Ne and enjoy what it does, etc. I'm not that clear on the shadow type stuff though so maybe you do have a point.

[MENTION=1144]TenebrousReflection[/MENTION] Yeah that's the same here, I would prefer Fi Ne to everything else but I switch it up when it needs it

Coriolis you are right, but I don't see MBTI as an ends all

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good points marm. I have nothing really to say though... how are you today? :shrug:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] Yes I understand what Ti is and why we must have a main function and an opposite to balance it (as well as too opposing opposites (lolo) at the bottom of the hierarchy), but I'm just wondering why we can't like to use something else. I've heard it would tire a type more as they don't use it often ('it' as in none of the 4 top functions of any type), but it's not like it should not be enjoyable to use. Puzzles pretty much need you to utilize Ti, and if you look at how small the IxTP numbers fare to the rest of the types, then why should just IxTPs, for instance, buy a sudoku or a mah jong book because they use Ti? Lots of people enjoy them, so lots of people must enjoy using Ti and the gratitude that comes with figuring something out. Using your logic, how many INFPs would want to buy a book of sudoku because they just want to?

I think a good example is that an INFP prefers Fi to Ne, but he/she can still utilize Ne and enjoy what it does, etc. I'm not that clear on the shadow type stuff though so maybe you do have a point.

[MENTION=1144]TenebrousReflection[/MENTION] Yeah that's the same here, I would prefer Fi Ne to everything else but I switch it up when it needs it

Coriolis you are right, but I don't see MBTI as an ends all

Oh I see your point, I dunno ive never thought I 'liked' using any function, but I could understand liking activities that could be associated with one. Not sure on sudoku though lol.

Apologies if I seem a bit...pedantic here, but I would have thought liking to do something is more to do with the values surrounding your view of it, rather than any function that it might happen to engage. For example I dont sit at home and go "hey I like writing lists of what I need to do...I love using Te".

In the rest of my life I generally dont get on with what I see as the overly fussy elements that can come from Te run organisations, but then again I enjoy well placed objective Te logic. But liking this is not enjoyment of the function to my mind, it is enjoyment, (or dislike), of a series of activities that could be associated with the function, so perhaps you enjoy elements of a shadow function, but you would be enjoying them through your dominant or other top four functions.

Hmm I suppose I did actually engage with your topic afterall....once again sorry for the pendantism.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] that's fine. I agree on your second paragraph, but I was wondering if a type could end up liking a function out of his function hierarchy out of the way of his values. It seems to happen sometimes, but I'm just wondering what the MBTI theory has on this.

Your third paragraph I also agree with, but makes me wonder if we are our types because we would enjoy those functions most to begin with. I use other functions in influence of Fi, Ne, etc, but I've been developing (and trying to) others just for the sake of it (though I wasn't like "I'm going to develop Ti!" but more like "I'm going to learn how to build a computer", etc). I think if the ego was built up a bit more it could probably be harder to use other functions.

soppixo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Sure, it isn't out of the ordinary. MBTI is in the end a guideline, not a commandment set in stone.

I'm an ISTJ but because of the nature of the industry I'm entering (Creative/Design) I learnt how to tone down my Si and develop my Ne to a certain extent in order get by. In the end I think it depends more on the environment you are in rather than your intention when it comes to developing your lesser functions. For example there was a period in my life when I went through great emotional upheavals, and had to take care of an ISFP (my mother) whose Fi was in overdrive, and I learnt to develop my neglected Fi in response to open up a path of communication. However now that the ISFP has passed on, my awareness of Fi has dwindled- further accelerated by the increased presence of an ISTx (my father).

However this doesn't mean that my Fi has disappeared entirely, or that it has devolved. It is still around, but not as relevant to the current state of my life as it was before. I still retain my memories of its usage, and what it feels like but in the decision making process, as an ISTJ: Si and Te naturally hold more sway than Fi to me, and thus unless circumstances dictate otherwise, I will simply revert to what I feel most comfortable with.

Just imagine your functions as your limbs for example. Generally, everyone has a preference for their right or left hand. This is the same for functions. Now whether right or left, hands can do pretty much the same things, but people find it easier to use one for certain specific activities and when forced to use the other, find it draining and have to expend a lot more energy and effort to achieve the same effect.

This isn't to say that you won't enjoy developing or using your inferior functions, it can be very rewarding and satisfying, but you will never be able to wield it with the same natural ease and finesse as you would with your dominant. Your dominant will always be your first, gut reaction- the function you resort to without conscious thought...trauma notwithstanding it will not change in hierarchy no matter how much you develop your other functions. It is always there, like a shadowy puppet master, dictating how you use and approach the other weaker functions.