• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts as tuning forks

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder how my introvert brethren and sistren would process the idea of introverts as sort of a bellwether of experience. I think introverts tend to have much more highly interconnected brains than extraverts and this makes them very sensitive to changes in stimuli in real time. Also, it explains their intelligence and tendency to feel overwhelmed in situations that others find normal. I can provide links to information supporting these correlations if you wish, but I'm much more interested in hearing how you experience things subjectively.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess I see the introvert personality as being much more sensitive to experience. Noticing details, textures, moods, etc moreso than the corresponding extravert type. I also think their processing of experience tends to be more integrative.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not all extroverts. I know I am pretty oblivious of changes in my surroundings unless I actively work to pay attention. Also I'm much less likely than my ESFJ friend to notice the passin of time or my own discomfort/physical needs.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well, i can sure tune any instrument, so i pretty much am a tuning fork, if that's what you mean..

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder how my introvert brethren and sistren would process the idea of introverts as sort of a bellwether of experience.

I think extraverts have a lot more different experiences than I do. They get out and around more.

I think introverts tend to have much more highly interconnected brains than extraverts

I doubt this is true.

and this makes them very sensitive to changes in stimuli in real time.

Sensitivity is relative to your instrument. My Se is weak, so I'm pretty insensitive to my environment in some ways.

Also, it explains their intelligence and tendency to feel overwhelmed in situations that others find normal. I can provide links to information supporting these correlations if you wish, but I'm much more interested in hearing how you experience things subjectively.

What situations are you talking about? I guess, being introverted, we're just going deeper and expending our energy that way, versus making numerous outward connections.

KDude

I deleted an earlier comment. I'm not really following either. The only time I might be weirded out by extroversion is heavy doses of Fe and expressiveness (more specifically, expectations of it). I don't have any overwhelming impressions of my senses. Unless it's obviously dangerous, but even then, you might not notice. I'll play it off until I gtfo. I might think some things around me aren't worth going along with, but that's being critical. Not sensitive. I know how other people are seeing things. I'm not sensing things differently. I'm just judging them differently.

G

Ginkgo

The dynamics of the dominant introvert function begin from the inner-world, progress to the outer-world, and end in the inner-world, full circle. Therefore, our relationship with the environment is entirely partial. We are not accustomed to it because we are used to the comfort of our inner-control seats. Of course the following example is an exaggeration, but imagine if you were to walk through life with one eye shut and the other eye looking through the tube of a toilet paper roll. Before a flying object hit you from your blindspot, you would be completely unaware, but once it hit you, you would be hyper-aware of your reaction to it compared to someone who was prepared to catch it. Let's say the person who is extraverted is prepared to catch it; they would be less aware of their reaction to it because they were engaged beforehand.

Not sure if this relates, but maybe it's pertinent.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, subjectively, I'm pretty oblivious to my surroundings unless I force myself to tune in, but that's only when I'm comfortable and there doesn't seem to be a need to be super alert.

To be honest, though, I don't think I'm any more sensitive than an extroverted would be. :shock:

I'd like to know what you mean by 'normal,' though. Depending on the context, it can mean a few different things - each of which have different implications.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you for your responses. Perhaps I am a highly sensitive person and an extravert. I related most to [MENTION=16048]Pseudo[/MENTION] 's response, especially before the age of 22.

Recently, I have been nurturing that aspect of myself and have been feeling as though life is unending visualaffective poetry much like when I was 5. However, I am also highly resilient to stressors yet feel very sensitive to stimuli. I feel as though.. I have learnt to integrate almost any experience into myself in a positive manner. I feel as though it is my genuine self.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I doubt this is true.

Well funnily enough I think there has been a lot of correlation and more than a few studies put into that specific subject. However id have to spend some time looking for that data.

But in my experience it rings true. Introverts do tend to come off as more intelligent. When you have extensive vs depth....well it's not really a competition.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well funnily enough I think there has been a lot of correlation and more than a few studies put into that specific subject. However id have to spend some time looking for that data.

But in my experience it rings true. Introverts do tend to come off as more intelligent. When you have extensive vs depth....well it's not really a competition.

I don't know. I was just in a little discussion with my son who's viewed almost every documentary on Netflix, and he remembers it. I feel sorta stupid in comparison.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I don't know. I was just in a little discussion with my son who's viewed almost every documentary on Netflix, and he remembers it. I feel sorta stupid in comparison.

But memorising things alone isn't anything to do with intelligence as such, it's how you use that knowledge, at least this is my view.

Hemd

MBTI Type
NFPI
I wonder how my introvert brethren and sistren would process the idea of introverts as sort of a bellwether of experience. I think introverts tend to have much more highly interconnected brains than extraverts and this makes them very sensitive to changes in stimuli in real time. Also, it explains their intelligence and tendency to feel overwhelmed in situations that others find normal. I can provide links to information supporting these correlations if you wish, but I'm much more interested in hearing how you experience things subjectively.

I'm with you on this. Introverts react more strongly to stimulation or arousal (not sexually meant) from the outside. Extraverts on the other side don't react so strongly on stimulation. Therefore they seek more stimulation and arousal from the outside. You could also say thats why they are extraverted (because they are seeking more stimulation).

I've read some scientific studies on this, but i can also confirm it from a subjective, personal point. Beeing more introverted, there are times where i'm actively seeking stimulation from the outside, but mostly i'm content with my own thoughts.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not understanding the premise that Introverts are more sensitive to outside stimuli. Are you referring to a very specific type of stimuli? A specific MBTI type of introvert? I mean, I know INTPs where I could change my outfit 3 times daily and he wouldn't notice. Hell, an INTx friend came over yesterday and didn't seem to even notice the two normally threatening drunk guys hanging out on the stoop from next door. That's pretty stimulating stimuli.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not understanding the premise that Introverts are more sensitive to outside stimuli. Are you referring to a very specific type of stimuli? A specific MBTI type of introvert? I mean, I know INTPs where I could change my outfit 3 times daily and he wouldn't notice. Hell, an INTx friend came over yesterday and didn't seem to even notice the two normally threatening drunk guys hanging out on the stoop from next door. That's pretty stimulating stimuli.

Studies have shown that introverts have stronger physical reactions to physical stimulation (for example, lemon juice generates a stronger salivation response in introverts), and tend to seek out less stimulating external environments. Another model is that introverts have a higher baseline of neurological activity, so to be alert and engaged they need less external stimulation than extraverts do (which may be one reason why extraverts tend to need more background noise when studying). The amount of external stimulation an extravert needs to concentrate (not be bored/fall asleep) may be overstimulating for an introvert (too noisy, distracting, chaotic).

INTPs (at least according to Nardi) tend to detach from external input in order to logically process and analyze. This means they may be particularly prone to being unaware of their external surroundings and emotional state (and one reason why they may be among the worst listeners, since they tend to detach to analyze and verify the first few words out of someone's mouth).

xisnotx

Permabanned
In my experience, it's true.

If I do something, something small, only other introverts will notice it...or at least show signs of noticing it.

For example. If I'm with a group of people and I duck out for a bit for some air, when I come back, those who notice are almost always introverts.

Or, if I have a problem...like I'm looking for a bathroom, or a glass of water...and I'm trying not to make a bother of myself in the process, typically another introvert will come over and help me out. The extroverts are usually busy talking to other people.

I don't know if this is what is meant, but if it is, yeah, my experience confirms it.

As for introverts being "tuning forks" or "bellweather?", you'd have to elaborate.