• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Soulmates: What Are They and Do They Exist?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Hi guys,
I'm looking for patterns between type and beliefs about soulmates, and I was wondering if you would tell me whether you think there is such a thing as a "soulmate." Does that exist? How do you define a soulmate to begin with? For example, does finding your soulmate mean finding someone who you instantly and deeply understand or finding someone whose love for you is very intense...or both?

Does everyone have a soulmate? Are you destined to find your soulmate or do you have to actively hunt for them?

Obviously, there are no conclusive answers to any of these questions, but I'm curious to hear your musings.

Honor

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
#1 - What is up with all the double posts I'm seeing today. Must be something to do with the forum going all wonky.

#2 - I don't believe anything such as a soulmate exists. A "soulmate" is an abstraction that has no bearing in reality.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, why not. Maybe they weren't manufactured for you by some higher power. But, just like you can find a stone that fits with another stone near perfectly, I don't see why you can't find a person who does the same.

gromit

likes this
I would say no to one specific soul mate in the universe. But I would say that each person is more compatible with some people than others. So one person could have several "soul mates"

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. Maybe because I dislike that term.

I do believe that there are people that will almost instantly bond, understand each other well, and have excellent communication between them. Sometimes it happens and love follows. Sometimes it happens and friendship follows. Or both.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've answered this question before on here... Probably a long time ago tho

Anyway... My whole theory is that we plan out our lives before we come and we plan out certain people to be a part of it.. To teach us certain things or help us in specific ways so my definition of that word is someone your spirit knows and is supposed to share a significant portion of your life with.

:)

A

Anew Leaf

Hi guys,
I'm looking for patterns between type and beliefs about soulmates, and I was wondering if you would tell me whether you think there is such a thing as a "soulmate." Does that exist? How do you define a soulmate to begin with? For example, does finding your soulmate mean finding someone who you instantly and deeply understand or finding someone whose love for you is very intense...or both?

Does everyone have a soulmate? Are you destined to find your soulmate or do you have to actively hunt for them?

Obviously, there are no conclusive answers to any of these questions, but I'm curious to hear your musings.

Honor

I definitely have a soulmate as I have two feet. Ba bing boom. (hahahahahah I seriously am laughing as I type this.)

Ok serious face time:

Type: INFP, 4w? SX/SP
Believe in soulmates: Yes... :whistling:

I try to be practical about matters of love, but I cannot.

Does that exist?
I hope so. :blush:

How do you define a soulmate to begin with?
I am probably screwing myself over, but for me it's something I feel like is delegated by parameters that only my future potential self knows. Ultimately, my best bet is that I will just sort of magically know. It would have to be a deep connection on multiple levels of imagination and understanding.

Does everyone have a soulmate?
I sometimes think the act of embarking on such a journey is the creator of such an end game.

Are you destined to find your soulmate or do you have to actively hunt for them?
That is the hope, but not the guartantee of life. I sort of think it's like having an eye in your soul constantly watching the heavens for a comet that may or may not pass by, but by gum you better not be searching for a planet at the wrong moment.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would say not to the Idea of one true love. I see soulmates as someone you share an very natural strong connection with and seem to think in accordance with. Someone that you seldomly need to explain yourself too. I think you can have several soul mates and there doesn't new to be any romantic or sexual component involved.

I don't beilive searching for a soulmate is productive. I don't believe in love at first sight. I have recognized someone as soulmate material within a short period of time though.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
fwiw
Does that exist?
No.
How do you define a soulmate to begin with?
I'll leave that to the NFs.
For example, does finding your soulmate mean finding someone who you instantly and deeply understand or finding someone whose love for you is very intense...or both?
It means whatever you want (or don't want) it to mean. It's all in your mind. Hopefully, in the mind of your partner.
Does everyone have a soulmate?
No. But if you really believe that, your mind might be able to project a reality that matches the belief. The difference between projected reality and reality itself, which varies from person to person, can lead to big disillusions. But if everything is aligned it can be heaven.
Are you destined to find your soulmate or do you have to actively hunt for them?
Neither. But considering destiny is a perfect excuse for inaction, that's easily the worst answer.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say no to one specific soul mate in the universe. But I would say that each person is more compatible with some people than others. So one person could have several "soul mates"

Redbone said:
I do believe that there are people that will almost instantly bond, understand each other well, and have excellent communication between them. Sometimes it happens and love follows. Sometimes it happens and friendship follows. Or both.

Both of these are along the lines of what I'd answer.

I'd also add that I have yet to be convinced (either from my own experience or observing other couples) that it's possible to have a pairing where every conceivable aspect of both people are fully connected and understood, without issue or some element of less-than-perfectness. I think that there will always be some aspect of disconnect and misunderstanding (and weighing of priorities/needs), with anyone.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yes, i believe.
I did read somewhere though, that we are supposed to stay away from our soulmates and that we attract them. The idea being lodged someplace in reincarnation. We attract people we have spent time with in past lives but we can not learn from them, so we must venture to meet persons we wouldn't usually feel naturally magnetised to. Was an interesting read, not sure how much weight i give it but i like the idea.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Oh yes, i believe.
I did read somewhere though, that we are supposed to stay away from our soulmates and that we attract them. The idea being lodged someplace in reincarnation. We attract people we have spent time with in past lives but we can not learn from them, so we must venture to meet persons we wouldn't usually feel naturally magnetised to. Was an interesting read, not sure how much weight i give it but i like the idea.

Why do you like that idea? What is appealing about it, aside from the fantastical elements of that particular metaphysic?

It's just that it seems so counter-intuitive and, well, hair-brained that I can't even ignore the metaphysics and treat it like a metaphor containing some general nugget of wisdom. I mean, what would be the positive outcome of following the advice unless you truly believed the stuff about reincarnation?

Just curious.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do you like that idea? What is appealing about it, aside from the fantastical elements of that particular metaphysic?

It's just that it seems so counter-intuitive and, well, hair-brained that I can't even ignore the metaphysics and treat it like a metaphor containing some general nugget of wisdom. I mean, what would be the positive outcome of following the advice unless you truly believed the stuff about reincarnation?

Just curious.

Well i'm undecided on it, like many other things. I can certainly believe in reincarnation from a scientific perspective...stardust.

I like the idea of reincarnation (soul based) because it appeals to me (in a romantic sense) that we have a spiritual purpose, and that is quite beautiful.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well i'm undecided on it, like many other things. I can certainly believe in reincarnation from a scientific perspective...stardust.

I like the idea of reincarnation (soul based) because it appeals to me (in a romantic sense) that we have a spiritual purpose, and that is quite beautiful.

No, no, that's why I said aside from the metaphysic, because you could believe in reincarnation without the added stuff about having to avoid your "soul mate" because they're someone you had a relationship with in a past life.

I guess it's just the whole package of it that appeals to you, then?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, no, that's why I said aside from the metaphysic, because you could believe in reincarnation without the added stuff about having to avoid your "soul mate" because they're someone you had a relationship with in a past life.

I guess it's just the whole package of it that appeals to you, then?

I thought i covered what you were asking...i'm confused.

T

The Iron Giant

Hang on a sec while I ruthlessly strip the formatting from this quote.

I think the implication of a soulmate is that this is one person who was expressly "designed" to be with you, as in, their soul belongs with yours. Beyond this, I think it's supposed to be someone who is an ideal match for you in pretty much every way. I don't think it means much more than that. I have a difficult time imagining how such a thing would even be possible, as I don't believe in souls as a religious construct to begin with. Obviously there are people who are exceptionally well matched to each other. I could also imagine there is probably more to our existence than we perceive, and there may be something that persists after our body dies, but what that is and where it goes would be up for discussion. I am interested in the idea of reincarnation, and I think it's possible that people could recognize each other from a past life without necessarily knowing it was happening. All of this stuff is totally uncharted, so who knows.

If there's only one person who's a perfect match for everyone, wouldn't that be kind of depressing? How many billions of people are on the planet now? What if your perfect match got hit by a bus or died while being born? I mean, one perfect person doesn't necessarily mean there aren't 3 million nearly perfect people on the planet who didn't die in a plane crash or something before showing up on your doorstep when their car runs out of gas on your street. I don't know how I feel about destiny.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You didn't, but never mind.

Well i was just remembering something specific that i read, i think it's in tune with the whole when it comes to ideas on reincarnation. Striving to learn lessons, purpose, searching.

Permabanned
I recall a thread about what each type seeks and this, something along the lines of:
NT - Mindmates;
NF - Soulmates;
SP - Playmates;
SJ - Workmates (?).
maybe someone can find it. :shrug: