• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you good at math?

Are you good at math?

• NTP yes

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • NTJ yes

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • NFP yes

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • NFJ yes

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • STP yes

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • STJ yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SFP yes

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • SFJ yes

• NTP no

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • NTJ no

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • NFP no

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • NFJ no

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • STP no

• STJ no

• SFP no

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • SFJ no

• Total voters

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Are you good at math?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
*laughs* no, I ask strangers at resteraunt and bars to help me figure out my tip. if that tells you nothing, i don't know what will

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
No. I can do it, but even the simplest of sums requires me to take out a piece of paper and attempt to work it all out.

Of course the world hasn't got any patience so it doesn't give a fuck about waiting for that.

I hate maths...why does so much of the world run on system I have never had and will never have any affinity for? Wasted so much time and money trying to get better at it and it was all so I could realise what I already suspected; you are who you are and you will never become good at things you are not built for.

ps: Didn't vote sorry, because not sure on type.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm fine at it, but I don't really need to use much in daily life. I occasionally break out some simple Algebra for my hobbies, but that's as heavy as it gets.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Math hates me, but when I took several online math courses in college, it actually began to make sense. Just needed to be able to grasp it in my own non-linear way. Still doesn't come easily, so I voted no.

It was the most frustrating subject for me, throughout primary school. My dad was in the Navy, so we moved often. I had no trouble adjusting to anything in school- was in accelerated courses, straight A's.. was given awards for creative writing.. but math.. oh, how we loathed one another. Just when I'd begun to understand another section, I'd be moving somewhere else, & it seemed like many teachers skipped around in the textbook; things just weren't consistent from school to school. This led to a lot of anxiety, confusion.. and frustration when my teachers seemed exasperated with me for not understanding their explanations that they'd simply repeat, versus rephrase or show a different approach. I actually remember one used to use this red marker & actually left an angryface/or several sadfaces on one of my quizzes. :laugh: I think those early years hindered my future classes in jr/high school, since there was already so much negativity/anxiety associated with it by that point.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, i'm not sure what the benchmark is here...op, care to elaborate?
Is it just peoples own perspectives of what good or bad is in maths or do you have an actual example to go by.
I'm not naturally inclined if that is what you are asking...well i'm not drawn to it anyway...
Though i am actually pretty good at it..if i work at it.
Basic math i always found quite easy... things compute fairly quickly.
Advanced math i do not have much experience of but i do grasp concepts quickly and when i have attempted to understand particular areas i could focus and learn without much fuss.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Math was typically my strongest subject in school. I breezed right through it until I got to higher level mathematics like trigonometry and calculus and then I had to actually study for tests. Still did well in them with some effort. I don't think I ever got below a B in a math class. The only thing I truly found difficult in math was those formal proofs. In geometry we had to prove those theorems and I hated that. I intuitively knew it was true but had a hard time trying to 'prove' it.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm terrible at memorization math, I thought math was the worst thing in the world in elementary school.

I like math that you "figure out." I still don't have my tables memorized. I voted yes because I consider higher math real math vs. memorizing addition tables.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I'm a yes since I did very well in classes and anything written down, but I can't (don't) do math in my head, so things like tips are still annoying.

I kinda thought matrix algebra in undergrad was the coolest thing ever. /nerd
Never liked calculus much (or any other kind of math) but I could do it when I had to.

Permabanned
Me and math [read school] always had a shaky relationship, mostly because I just never cared enough about it, so just as long as I could wing it, all was fine. It wasn't until I decided to apply to college to an engineering degree that I had to actually put effort into studying for finishing my HS math and the admission exam. Once in college, the entire previous math curriculum had to be not only revised but mastered in order to build on top, and I found that it wasn't so much the subject per se but the amount of effort put into it, and in engineering , at some point it just becomes part of one's natural reasoning tool belt.

I kinda thought matrix algebra in undergrad was the coolest thing ever. /nerd
^+1. Also, Calculus - differential equations and integrals - are pretty cool once you grasp the concept, specially the latter, as I am a very visual learner and I find all geometry-like solving methods very appealing and interesting/having great potential.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really don't know what to vote, so I won't, I'll just comment...

I've always excelled at math, but I've never really liked it, which led to an interesting situation. I can pick up mathematical concepts pretty quickly, and it is rarely difficult to understand or use, but I rarely if ever practice, so my skill is lower than a lot of people's. I don't know, I'm not a mathematician, but I'm not terrible either. So, I guess I fall somewhere between voting options. Not good, not bad.

I ended up stopping around single variable calculus, which is where I got to the point where I couldn't continue without a decent amount of practicing what I learned, and like I said, I don't like to practice math.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was really good at math in school, but didn't need much of it in college. I blew through up through precalc and AP statistics in highschool but based on my interests for college, they didn't think I needed to go any farther. I should have done it just for fun/ GPA help. I don't know if I was really good at it or I just enjoyed it, I took my time on the problems and found my own ways to figure them out..Skipped a grade in math after sixth grade. My teachers wanted me to join math team but..... HOW GEEKY!!!!!!!! ahh! no way. Anyway, I've been out of math for a really long time so would need some refreshers if I had to go back. I remember liking the geometry/trig "If, than" questions the best. During times when we were just sitting quietly in class and problem solving, a couple of my teachers actually just had me wander around and help other people. Looking back, that's really nerdy too but I was so happy and proud!

(I wanted to do psych/soc/ marketing/ or graphic design at the time so no physics or calc for me!)

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
Yes... though it didn't exactly feel that way while I was taking calc.

Disclaimer: I went to a STEM-oriented high school where Calculus AB was considered the "dumb math".

N

NPcomplete

Yes, if I may say so myself.

I have a thing for differential equations and mathematical modelling but, in general, applied math is *sigh* :wizfreak: + :wub:.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm good at math. I can solve pretty complicated algebraic problems in my head, although I sometimes need a calculator or a piece of scrap paper to do the more complicated multiplication and division parts of problems. The only thing I don't like about math classes is school is when you're required to show your work (meaning write down each step of solving a problem, which is extremely tedious).

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm decent at math when I have online classes and I can see exactly how the problems are worked out. However, I suck at paper-pencil math.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Math was typically my strongest subject in school. I breezed right through it until I got to higher level mathematics like trigonometry and calculus and then I had to actually study for tests. Still did well in them with some effort. I don't think I ever got below a B in a math class. The only thing I truly found difficult in math was those formal proofs. In geometry we had to prove those theorems and I hated that. I intuitively knew it was true but had a hard time trying to 'prove' it.

I'm the same up until the geometric proofs part. I never had any problems in math and only had to put in a minimal effort to maintain decent grades, but I actually enjoyed geometric proofs (whereas I couldn't give two shits about any of the other shit.) They were more like little puzzles and less like the lame ass work that we usually had to do.

I fucking hated my college calculus courses, but I liked my mathematical logic classes that were offered through the philosophy department.

As far as tips, I am middle-of-the-road at that kind of low-level computation.