• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you good at math?

Are you good at math?

• NTP yes

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • NTJ yes

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • NFP yes

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • NFJ yes

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • STP yes

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • STJ yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SFP yes

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • SFJ yes

• NTP no

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • NTJ no

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • NFP no

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • NFJ no

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • STP no

• STJ no

• SFP no

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • SFJ no

• Total voters

xisnotx

Permabanned
I hit my math wall at calculus two.
Also, trig was awful.

But, the simple stuff, that's, umm, simple.

I remember I could multiply any two digit number by any other two digit number in my head in a matter of seconds.

And I discovered a lot the matrix theories on my own when I took the class.

It's funny, there's a good chance I change my major to math, and only get a minor in biology, along with a degree in philosophy. It'll delay graduation for a year or longer, and it's a "good enough excuse". Why rush through it? I'll only be 24...and it's not like I'm not going to grad school afterwards anyway.

Last edited:

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
The word of Math made me think of number, and the word of number made me think of money, I like counting money too. I believe everyone use calculator to settle math problem, even professor use it too..

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Reasonably. I was good at maths at school. I just always found it boring.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Math has always been intuitive to me. I can't really explain why but I always simply "understood" what was happening. My knowledge of formulas and theorems has been decidedly poor as I so rarely needed them even on the specially crafted problems to teach them to us. Working in groups on a problem is interesting as I will often see how the problem is intended to be solved and just give a framework solution and ask the group to put in the correct formulas, or theorems that allow me to make certain steps. I know intellectually that I should pay attention to the specifics because what formulas I do remember tend to enable so much; and yet I still glaze over while learning them. I believe part of it is the difference in speed. When I just read straight form a textbook I tend to pick up and memorize the material in the amount of time it takes for me to just read through it. The classroom setting adds so much extra fluff that doesn't actually aid my learning that I over-complicate the issue and end up learning very little.

I suspect most of my ability in math is from how often I use it in my general life. I apply stuff I learn in school to my analysis almost immediately and this extra time I spend with the material ends up making the knowledge automatic.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I don't know, I would put myself in between usually. There are certainly enough people who do better than me, but I would say I am still getting along better than the majority of people I know (well, the majority of people I know seem to have a lot of trouble in mathematics...). Mathematics play also a decent role in my study. So I guess I will vote "yes", although I feel that is maybe a bit too much said.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've painted the bernoulli inequation on my wall in our new apartment.
3027e3be8678fb01e0760a5e3bdd3e02.png

You can use it to converge exponents between 0 and 1 against zero for all real bases. I like it cause its an inequation with which you can solve an otherwise unsolvable equation. Has some sort of metaphorical wisdom in it.

Do you think thats nerdy ? My gf laughed her ass off :/

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I've painted the bernoulli inequation on my wall in our new apartment.
3027e3be8678fb01e0760a5e3bdd3e02.png

You can use it to converge exponents between 0 and 1 against zero for all real bases. I like it cause its an inequation with which you can solve an otherwise unsolvable equation. Has some sort of metaphorical wisdom in it.

Do you think thats nerdy ? My gf laughed her ass off :/

I think it's pretty good actually. Although im more jealous than anything, I find it hard to reconcile my maths skills, (or lack thereof), with the world around me.

But I will reiterate my point which is that of a slightly child frustrated with his pathetic and unimportant failures..but still: So much of the world runs on maths. It is a bias towards those who seem to possess an inherency or at least an enviroment that encouraged skills in mathmatics.

Ive always found that a massive struggle in day to day life, the amount of jobs, (potential and actually employed), it has cost me makes me actually lothe the systems it uses somewhat. But the world isn't ready to change yet, the tides arent set for system warps as far as I can tell.

So ill just have to grind my teeth and limp on....subservient to a world in which I have no stake nor talent.

*Edit*
I ought to add however that this does not mean I have given up, I will continue to train my weaker sides and when I go shopping I will continue to force myself to workout the total in my head of what ive bought and balance it with my budget before I get to the counter.