• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you good at math?

Are you good at math?

• NTP yes

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • NTJ yes

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • NFP yes

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • NFJ yes

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • STP yes

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • STJ yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SFP yes

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • SFJ yes

• NTP no

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • NTJ no

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • NFP no

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • NFJ no

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • STP no

• STJ no

• SFP no

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • SFJ no

• Total voters

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, i'm not sure what the benchmark is here...op, care to elaborate?
Is it just peoples own perspectives of what good or bad is in maths or do you have an actual example to go by.
I'm not naturally inclined if that is what you are asking...well i'm not drawn to it anyway...
Though i am actually pretty good at it..if i work at it.
Basic math i always found quite easy... things compute fairly quickly.
Advanced math i do not have much experience of but i do grasp concepts quickly and when i have attempted to understand particular areas i could focus and learn without much fuss.

I was mainly thinking of higher level calculus and beyond stuff. By good I meant "do you find it easy to excel in". I would not say I was good at math. In every other subject I was able to get to a point where I felt like I had "mastered" what we were learning. But with math I always felt like I was flying blind. I'd attempt to follow the steps but always felt unsure. I've never been a linear thinker so I was prOne to simple mistakes. I still typically got A's in math but t was a constant headache. The only subject where I felt the need to really work to learn.

Liason

I'm more offensive in person!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I excelled in maths until I grew to age fifteen. My motivation to pursue it withered.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Math was typically my strongest subject in school. I breezed right through it until I got to higher level mathematics like trigonometry and calculus and then I had to actually study for tests. Still did well in them with some effort. I don't think I ever got below a B in a math class. The only thing I truly found difficult in math was those formal proofs. In geometry we had to prove those theorems and I hated that. I intuitively knew it was true but had a hard time trying to 'prove' it.

ANSIR typology calls that kind of intuition "Empathic thinking."

Those proofs by induction in geometry were pretty hard for me, but interesting after a while. Story problems were the hardest. Memorizing identities in trigonometry was just a pain, but doable. Yet I had a fun time memorizing the quadratic formula.

The bad thing about being an Empathic thinker is finding that math only gets more and more difficult as it rises above the intuitive level. The good thing is that, at least at the beginning of school, everybody thought we were geniuses at math.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ANSIR typology calls that kind of intuition "Empathic thinking."

Those proofs by induction in geometry were pretty hard for me, but interesting after a while. Story problems were the hardest. Memorizing identities in trigonometry was just a pain, but doable. Yet I had a fun time memorizing the quadratic formula.

The bad thing about being an Empathic thinker is finding that math only gets more and more difficult as it rises above the intuitive level. The good thing is that, at least at the beginning of school, everybody thought we were geniuses at math.

Funny, it seems like I'm the opposite, but I thought of my understanding as intuitive. Like I can look at a situation or something visual and intuitively see how math would apply- seeing proportions and measurements and patterns in my head. I can get a good idea of the big picture and general processes used to solve the problems, but actually solving them can be difficult.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No. By fifth grade I was fantasizing about being in the swimming pool during math class.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Math was typically my strongest subject in school. I breezed right through it until I got to higher level mathematics like trigonometry and calculus and then I had to actually study for tests. Still did well in them with some effort. I don't think I ever got below a B in a math class. The only thing I truly found difficult in math was those formal proofs. In geometry we had to prove those theorems and I hated that. I intuitively knew it was true but had a hard time trying to 'prove' it.

I was better at geometry than algebra, lol.

Nicki

Retired
I'm really good at math except the more difficult parts of algebra. I end up getting really confused. But I am extremely good at mental math and geometry.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
I enjoy math, but I'm terrible at it and I get frustrated when I can't figure something out.

I've been working on teaching myself some through books and talking to other people, and if there is anything I've learned it's that math is actually just really hard, even if you're "gifted" at performing calculations, it takes a lot of work.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i use to be pretty nifty with algebra, but there's not much point in math for me, apart from maybe stats...and some arithmetic/logic for programming.

G

Ginkgo

even if you're "gifted" at performing calculations, it takes a lot of work.

Definitely. The greater the gift, the more potential we have. The more potential we have, the more we have to work. Curses!

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've always been good at math, but I never enjoyed it. I only enjoyed it when the cute guy next to me always tried to copy off of me in college. :blush:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
honestly, i think i hit my math wall after high school geometry level. not that i tried very hard, but i just couldn't make it through algebra 2. i ended up taking this really easy math class called personal finance for my last credit which was all very, very basic math.

i managed to get a B in statistics in college, but it was mostly because our teacher was really easy, and all the tests were open notes/book. so i could kinda teach myself how to do it during the test. i'm just glad i never have to take another math class again :D

i was the second best in my class in 3rd grade at multiplication tables. does that count for anything?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I was good. In elementary/jr/high school all of the classes were a non-issue, geometry as well as algebra/trig and then ap calc.

In college things shifted a bit, as the classes were more challenging, but I still got A's in calc 2 (passed out of calc 1), differential equations, and linear algebra. My only issue in math was calculus of several variables... I did not intuitively grasp math once it got to the 3D level, and got a C.

redacted

I was quite good at math when I was constantly taking math classes, but lost my momentum a bit in college.

I'm still pretty amazing at mental arithmetic, though, if I do say so myself. :)

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I was quite good at math when I was constantly taking math classes, but lost my momentum a bit in college.

I'm still pretty amazing at mental arithmetic, though, if I do say so myself. :)
This.

I was a math whiz in middle/high school. Obsessed with it, actually. But college killed my love for it.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How+I+See+Math+Word+Problems.+damn+maths_0bf436_3862234.jpg

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Having thought about this topic a bit further. I think I'm quite good at math and have the ability to excel in it. However, I severely lack the interest to take it very far. For me, the problem presented needs to have a realness to it to become interesting. Numbers on a paper lack that.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
AAll the way through trig was a breeze. Got C/low Bs in calculus because I had class after a 12.5 hour night shift and didnt study much or do homework much.