• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive Functions- where does the common concept of "intuition" fit in?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The word intuition as used outside of MBTI can mean a number of things. It is how we perceive the world beyond our 5 senses, and also a combination of all of them. It is what our unconscious mind processes and sends to our consciousness for analysis.

Extroverted, we take in information from the environment. Introverted, we use a synthetic process to assimilate all of our stored information and extrapolate from the data.

But intuition can become confused with feeling. If you separate emotion from "feeling," how is it different from intuition? Fi can be "I feel like this is true," but Ni can also think this way. And Fi can tell you to do something for unexplainable reasons, but can "intuition"? Such as, I had a "feeling" I should go to the store today and not tomorrow, and found an item I needed on sale. Then something happened the next day to where I wouldn't have been able to go to the store. Or, I had a feeling I should take the main roads instead of the interstate and later found out there was a big traffic jam or a car wreck. Maybe it is your intuition telling you to stay out of a dangerous situation. If you let your intuition guide you this way, what function/s are you using?

My question is: how does the common usage of the word intuition fit into the CF framework?

Expect me to edit this post to make it more clear.

*Mods: If this thread could be in a better place, feel free to move it. I didn't see one specifically for CF's.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The word intuition as used outside of MBTI can mean a number of things. It is how we perceive the world beyond our 5 senses, and also a combination of all of them. It is what our unconscious mind processes and sends to our consciousness for analysis.

Extroverted, we take in information from the environment. Introverted, we use a synthetic process to assimilate all of our stored information and extrapolate from the data.

But intuition can become confused with feeling. If you separate emotion from "feeling," how is it different from intuition? Fi can be "I feel like this is true," but Ni can also think this way. And Fi can tell you to do something for unexplainable reasons, but can "intuition"? Such as, I had a "feeling" I should go to the store today and not tomorrow, and found an item I needed on sale. Then something happened the next day to where I wouldn't have been able to go to the store. Or, I had a feeling I should take the main roads instead of the interstate and later found out there was a big traffic jam or a car wreck. Maybe it is your intuition telling you to stay out of a dangerous situation. If you let your intuition guide you this way, what function/s are you using?

My question is: how does the common usage of the word intuition fit into the CF framework?

Expect me to edit this post to make it more clear.

*Mods: If this thread could be in a better place, feel free to move it. I didn't see one specifically for CF's.

Common language says "feeling" when it really means "intuition."

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. So, which CF is this intuition? Is it Ni which might tell you to do something unexplainable for your best interest?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you are sorta asking how Ni is different than Fi, no?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Intuition-300x240.jpg

Jedi master's sense skill trumps clone trooper's sneak skill!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you are sorta asking how Ni is different than Fi, no?

I guess. I mean they could both apply to "My intuition told me to do X," and I really want to know which one.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also I would see introverted intuition as looking into your own unconscious mind and seeing what thoughts and feeling lie there, but some might say that's Fi. But it could be Ni connecting to Fi and then sending it to Ti.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, it's a good question. I'll have to ponder it.

On the surface, I think Ni processes a lot of different variables incoming in various forms, to try to find the one best truth or explanation. And Fi is more personal and subjective. I think it is the most subjective function, and strictly concerned with pure feeling, regardless of whether that feeling is felt for one brief moment in time, or is a recurrent theme. Fi's only motivation, I guess, is to fully consider a feeling, or the get to the heart of a feeling-state. Fi users can use this on others when proficient, and in a healthy frame of mind.

What do you think?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also I would see introverted intuition as looking into your own unconscious mind and seeing what thoughts and feeling lie there, but some might say that's Fi. But it could be Ni connecting to Fi and then sending it to Ti.

Ni Fi Ti? That makes you an INTJ/INFP/INTP, INTP being the balancing point and your overall type.

Of course that is based on my tritype theory which most experts would say is bogus, so idk.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni Fi Ti? That makes you an INTJ/INFP/INTP, INTP being the balancing point and your overall type.

Of course that is based on my tritype theory which most experts would say is bogus, so idk.

This is exactly my theory, which most people are saying is bogus.

:)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool. I guess I use it a lot then. But probably not more than Ne. Hmm...INTX or INFJ...

I think it's a non-question that you're Ni-dominant.

I have that "little voice" too but I unfortunately tend to ignore it. I always regret ignoring it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, it's a good question. I'll have to ponder it.

On the surface, I think Ni processes a lot of different variables incoming in various forms, to try to find the one best truth or explanation. And Fi is more personal and subjective. I think it is the most subjective function, and strictly concerned with pure feeling, regardless of whether that feeling is felt for one brief moment in time, or is a recurrent theme. Fi's only motivation, I guess, is to fully consider a feeling, or the get to the heart of a feeling-state. Fi users can use this on others when proficient, and in a healthy frame of mind.

What do you think?

Sounds plausible. I don't really do this, so it makes me think I don't use Fi that much. I dunno. Maybe I use Ni like this...

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes. So, which CF is this intuition? Is it Ni which might tell you to do something unexplainable for your best interest?

Umm, that's Fi. To a Ni user, in their head, it makes sense, because it's a perception function- no judgement. Ni would gather what the situation is- Fi is what moves you to action. It's subjective, and personal, so the action, or outcome, made sense to the individual, where others would have reacted differently.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's a non-question that you're Ni-dominant.

I have that "little voice" too but I unfortunately tend to ignore it. I always regret ignoring it.

In making decisions this is true. But as far as my inner world is concerned, and how I respond to life, it seems to be different. But you might be right.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Umm, that's Fi. To a Ni user, in their head, it makes sense, because it's a perception function- no judgement. Ni would gathere what the situation is- Fi is what moves you to action.

So Fi tells you to act on Ni? Then wouldn't they always go together? They aren't in INFJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In making decisions this is true. But as far as my inner world is concerned, and how I respond to life, it seems to be different. But you might be right.

My Ti ignores Ni, because Ti is the decision-making function I use most of the time and it doesn't consider Ni to be a source of valuable information. But something else in me says that I ignore it to my detriment. Basically, it's turned out right too many times to be coincidence. The only times it's really helped me was when it physically moved my body, when it got the attention of an instinct that bypasses the thinking realm.

The inner realm of an Ni-dominant is another question.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

How do you settle on the INTP as the balancing point?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My Ti ignores Ni, because Ti is the decision-making function I use most of the time and it doesn't consider Ni to be a source of valuable information. But something else in me says that I ignore it to my detriment. Basically, it's turned out right too many times to be coincidence. The only times it's really helped me was when it physically moved my body, when it got the attention of an instinct that bypasses the thinking realm.

The inner realm of an Ni-dominant is another question.

In comparing ourselves, this could mean that we are different types, or it could mean that we are the same type (if you are INTP) and just developed differently and in different life situations. I have had to work to trust my intuition as much as I do. I've always followed it for survival though. Developing my intuition and psychic ability has been part of my Wiccan training. Everyone in our group has had to develop this function. So I'm saying pagans are different from the average person.