• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask me about introverted feeling (Fi).

T

The Iron Giant

Is dominant Fi likely to "correct" other people the same way an Fe user would? How 'pushy' is dominant Fi, and does it make a difference whether it's paired with an intuitive function or a sensing one?

Good questions, Counselor Troi.

I don't see Fi as pushy. Really, it's so private and in most cases the user doesn't express the judgments made outwardly. In those cases where an Fi dom takes issue with someone's actions, the expression is intense, but it is more of a "holy shit you're awful for this" rather than, "I demand that you change."

Aux Ne in my experience can produce odd chemistry with dominant Fi. INFPs when stressed may leap to a wild interpretation of someone's intentions and then attack them for it (though I see this more often with ENFPs). Se aux has another challenge: not looking beyond the exact words and realizing that sometimes people say things that sound bad but they mean well.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't see Fi as pushy. Really, it's so private and in most cases the user doesn't express the judgments made outwardly. In those cases where an Fi dom takes issue with someone's actions, the expression is intense, but it is more of a "holy shit you're awful for this" rather than, "I demand that you change."

:) Thanks for answering! This is pretty accurate in my experience, and I believe I have actually used the phrase "holy shit you're awful for this" quite a few times >.>;;

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would surmise that inferior Fi could manifest in times of great stress as an explosion of defensive rage... I would love an ExTJ's input on this though.

It looks more like an implosion. Feelings of worthlessness, despite working so hard, thinking that they cannot do anything right, despite putting in so much effort. Feeling unappreciated, rejected, and misunderstood. Not being able to understand what they are doing wrong and why things are going the way that they are. Having outbursts of self-pity or revealing what seem to be out-of-character feelings then wanting to die of embarrassment (will pretend that they said nothing at all or greatly down-play it).

Just from my observations of a few EXTJs I am close to.

T

The Iron Giant

Why don't Fi users or specifically INFPs understand teasing? No matter how often I apologize or explain to my INFP friend he can't understand that people are joking with him because they like him.

My experience has been that Fi doms will very readily take any kind of negative assessment of things they value as a personal slight. If you know an Fi dom who can't take teasing, you're probably teasing them about something they feel insecure about to begin with.

T

The Iron Giant

I have a question...what do you imagine life would be like without good use of Fi? I mean, say if your Extraverted Feeling were just fine, but your Introverted Feeling wasn't?

Me personally? I'm an ISTJ, I have no use of Fe. If I were an ISFJ, I think I'd be much more focused on fitting myself to social expectation, in terms of pleasing others, than I am. I'd probably have a lot more friends, because I'd want them.

Looking at it another way, if I hadn't put the work into understanding my use of Fi, and was still running Si-Te with no effective balance from my unconscious, I would be the way I was about 10-15 years ago. Far more rigid, far less accepting of others doing things just because they're fun, just generally staring contemptuously at anything that didn't suit my experience.