• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask me about introverted feeling (Fi).

T

The Iron Giant

I'm studying cognitive functions, and I have several of them down completely, including Fi. Ask me about it, and let's learn more together.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
count me in!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
1. What are emotions like for an Fi user? Are they complex? Why can't you put them into words?
2. Where do your moral values come from?
3. What does it feel like when you break a moral value?

T

The Iron Giant

1. What are emotions like for an Fi user? Are they complex? Why can't you put them into words?

I personally prefer Te to Fi, so for me it's pretty different. These are my personal observations of Fi users. As Jung did, I will refer to the strong Fi user as a female. His observation was that the introverted feeling type (IxFP) is more common in females.

Feelings are concealed, and with reason. Fi instinctively connects values with feelings. So what happens is, if you hurt an Fi user's feelings, she may feel personally attacked. Hurt feelings feel the same as a physical, bodily attack, regardless of your intent, and depending on levels of development and health, you may face a fiery retaliation. Since the values associated with Fi are subjective, and very personal, they can be very difficult to predict. In a sense, mishandling an Fi user who you're not very close to can be a lot like juggling active grenades, because you won't know where the sensitive spots are.

Another thing that makes it hard for strong Fi users to put these into words is that they're directed inwards. Since they don't depend on the outside world or broad standards for definition, they are not verbalized or shared very often... since she understands them herself in personal inner non-verbal way, there is little actual analysis of the values... they are simply powerful and present.

I have observed that the source of these is personal experience. When the Fi user is very young, positive and negative experiences imprint very strongly, and values form around these. Looking at these experiences and the resulting values objectively as an adult, the Fi user may find that they don't fit perfectly with their grown world-view, but they imprint so deeply, that there is a clear disconnect between what is understood about the difference and what is personally absorbed and applied.

It sticks, and hard. Making such a mistake becomes very difficult to let go of, for years later. Something that, when shared, may seem like a non-issue for everyone else, can be something the strong Fi user obsesses about for years. I experience this too, even with tertiary Fi. Things I've done years ago, that I'm embarrassed about, will come back and haunt me.

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
What are emotions like for an Fi user? Are they complex? Why can't you put them into words?
as an INFJ my emotions are very complex and sometimes contradictory and unknown to myself...

My own code of ethic and morality PLUS the influence of significant strong figures in my childhood ( my aunt and grand father).

It feels as if i am betraying myself.. Feeling like a failure..It hurts badly..

T

The Iron Giant

Something I posted on another forum, a piece of advice for growing Fi doms:

Your dominant function, by default, intimately ties your personal value to the way others treat you. If you can't grow to genuinely personalize that there is a space between the way others treat you and what you're worth, you'll find yourself worthless in a world filled with monsters who must be destroyed, instead of wonderful in a world of genuinely decent people who don't share your values and don't understand that they're hurting your feelings.

http://personalitycafe.com/myers-br...ticize-personality-above-you.html#post2588610

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you ever have any sort of conflict with a Fe user, and just know you are right based on your feelings?

T

The Iron Giant

Do you ever have any sort of conflict with a Fe user, and just know you are right based on your feelings?

http://personalitycafe.com/infj-for...-inconsiderate-than-fe-users.html#post2400947

I think that Fi can seem inconsiderate and selfish from the perspective of an Fe user, just as Fe can seem inauthentic from the perspective of an Fi user. Fi is concerned with fairness and consistency of values, while Fe concerns itself more with making sure there is harmony between people. Most societies will traditionally value Fe over Fi, because Fi is more likely to rock the boat, and perhaps not do it in a delicate way, when something seems to be amiss.

The stronger a person's use of Fi, the more likely they are to take issue with someone who is a strong user of Fe. Wanting to get along with everyone would feel wrong to an Fi user, because many people out there have values that conflict with the Fi user's. Further, the Fi user can feel "tainted" by interaction with those who strongly conflict with their values. So when the Fe user wants to get along with people the Fi user can't stand, there's a feeling of conflictedness there: "How can this person I like be nice to/be friends with this person?"

As someone who prefers Te over Fi, I'm very capable of interacting with people I don't much care for, particularly for the sake of duty. Stronger Fi would make this harder.

Silveresque

Something I posted on another forum, a piece of advice for growing Fi doms:

Your dominant function, by default, intimately ties your personal value to the way others treat you. If you can't grow to genuinely personalize that there is a space between the way others treat you and what you're worth, you'll find yourself worthless in a world filled with monsters who must be destroyed, instead of wonderful in a world of genuinely decent people who don't share your values and don't understand that they're hurting your feelings.

I wish there were a "Thank" button for this.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very well said mister.

Can you talk to me about how fi is experienced for you as an istj?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
How can I hurt Fi people most effectively ?

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Not just about Fi, but how do Fi users differ from Fe users when it comes to anger? More specifically, is there a difference between what angers one compared to the other, and is there a difference in how they express their anger?

T

The Iron Giant

Very well said mister.

Thank you!

Can you talk to me about how fi is experienced for you as an istj?

It's really only an issue when something really runs up against my personal values. Like, when I see people being abused or neglected by someone who is tasked with protecting or supporting them, like spouses, parents, bosses, etc, it "trips my Fi." My Fi is low enough down where it's something I can contain, but strong enough where it screams for action when that kind of shit is happening. I feel deep empathy for those who are being mistreated, and if I'm in a position to do something about it, I get very serious and start working hard to fix the issue. I'll keep at it until it's fixed or it becomes clear I can't change it no matter how hard I try. The latter is just about the worst feeling. That's when I get unpredictable... and kind of turn into an unstable INFP.

T

The Iron Giant

Oh that's easy, they get really hurt when you go screw with someone else's thread. Please don't do that! :bye:

Not just about Fi, but how do Fi users differ from Fe users when it comes to anger? More specifically, is there a difference between what angers one compared to the other, and is there a difference in how they express their anger?

I think that, all things considered, Fe users may be slower to anger. Fe wants more than anything to be harmonious with people. Fe users mold themselves to the social demands of the world, and feel good about it. Fi users want the world to mold to their personal value demands. It seems to me that Fe would be a happier function, so less anger. I'd love to hear if anyone has another take on this, or on anything else, for that matter.

I think Fe users generally will be less likely to anger when their values are encroached on. I can see an Fe user saying, "well you don't like my point of view, but that's OK, we don't have to agree on that, we can still be cool." The Fi user might not be quite so accommodating, unless their Te can keep that kind of thing in check. I think Fi anger might be expressed more explosively.

A

Anew Leaf

Any of the following will do:

1- Ingest some of their glitter without asking.
2- Have an avatar that isn't as cool as MacGuffins.
3- Steal their WiFi.

There is more, but that should get you off to a great start!

IceBlock

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yay, I needed this!

Okay, help me out here. Is this an Fi attitude?

Just thinking about the possibility of knowing that someone I care is talking bad stuff about me by my back drives me crazy. I get reserved and quiet, as 12385214165194 of thinkings go on my head simultaneously. I react really badly when I know someone doesn't like me. I also have a bad reaction when I know people is mockering me. Being sure of something (emotions related) and get proven wrong after is hard for me either. It's not good for me as well when possibilities provided by my Ne show me that some friend or similar is way better at something I was supposed to be the best.

I'm not sure if I'm an immature Fi-user, or this is common, or even if this is not Fi.

T

The Iron Giant

Yay, I needed this!

Okay, help me out here. Is this an Fi attitude?

Just thinking about the possibility of knowing that someone I care is talking bad stuff about me by my back drives me crazy. I get reserved and quiet, as 12385214165194 of thinkings go on my head simultaneously. I react really badly when I know someone doesn't like me. I also have a bad reaction when I know people is mockering me. Being sure of something (emotions related) and get proven wrong after is hard for me either. It's not good for me either when possibilities provided by my Ne show me that some friend or similar is way better at something I was supposed to be the best.

I'm not sure if I'm an immature Fi-user, or this is common, or even if this is not Fi.

I think this is much more about your dominant Ne. Ne perceives what is not apparent about an object, whether it's true or not. So you're imagining that people are talking about you, which they may or may not be doing. You might benefit from applying more critical thinking to your perceptions. You need to embrace being wrong, because it's going to happen a lot. This was a challenge for me, too.

As a side note, people are most likely not talking about you, except maybe for that [MENTION=12864]Duck_of_Death[/MENTION] guy, he just won't stop going on about how much he loves your hat. And it may help to consider that there's always going to be someone better at what you do than you are, but I bet you're much better at other things than they are. As an example, you are better at hat shopping than Duck is.

Mia.

Just thinking about the possibility of knowing that someone I care is talking bad stuff about me by my back drives me crazy. I get reserved and quiet, as 12385214165194 of thinkings go on my head simultaneously. I react really badly when I know someone doesn't like me. I also have a bad reaction when I know people is mockering me. Being sure of something (emotions related) and get proven wrong after is hard for me either. It's not good for me either when possibilities provided by my Ne show me that some friend or similar is way better at something I was supposed to be the best.

I identify with the bolded strongly, but the rest I don't really care about. If I care about someone I have their back. I am loyal. That doesn't mean making excuses for them if they are wrong, but it means I will do my best to communicate, uphold and reinforce their real, good, and hidden attributes in everyone's awareness. To find out someone who I consider important hasn't done the same, or worse, would do the opposite, is a very hard blow.

plastic

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How does Fi manifest itself in inferior Fi users? How do inferior Fi and inferior Fe differ?

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
poor Ducky. you're always teasing him.