• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has there ever been an INTP President?

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has there ever been an INTP head of state?

They say Albert Einstien and Charles Darwin were INTP... But they're dead, so with out getting into the whole
"Who tested them, when?" (And stuff). 'joking'.
I wonder, were there ever any rulers or anything who were INTP?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. Plenty.

Probably the most obvious one, Thomas Jefferson was most likely INTP.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Very likely. Off the top of my head, I'd say John Q. Adams was an INTP. Very possibly James Garfield as well. Kiersey identified Lincoln as INTP, and I've seen others agree, though it's debatable. (though if both those last two are right, INTP Presidents have an odd tendency to be assassinated)

Thomas Jefferson is a maybe, but I wouldn't say I'm as certain about that. Woodrow Wilson might've been, too. No President since then even has a chance of being INTP in my estimation.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I always thought Darwin was xSTJ....leaning towards I?

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No President since then even has a chance of being INTP in my estimation.

That's what I fear.
Well, I fear it the other way round, I fear
'No INTP has a chance of becomming President/Prime Minister or what ever.'

Also... I forgot about Thomas Jefferson.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
That's what I fear.

That doesn't necessarily mean an INTP couldn't get elected again.

Though the modern political environment does not seem very conducive to an INTP nominee.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's what I fear.

Also... I forgot about Thomas Jefferson.

Actually, the current dutch prime minister (demissionary now) is most likely INTP. ;P

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That doesn't necessarily mean an INTP couldn't get elected again.

Though the modern political environment does not seem very conducive to an INTP nominee.

Actually, the current dutch prime minister (demissionary now) is most likely INTP. ;P
For real? :D This pleases me.

Vote ilikeitlikethat if you want a job. :rofl1:

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has there ever been an INTP head of state?

They say Albert Einstien and Charles Darwin were INTP... But they're dead, so with out getting into the whole
"Who tested them, when?" (And stuff). 'joking'.
I wonder, were there ever any rulers or anything who were INTP?

Keirsey said Jefferson was an INTP. apparently he invented things like swivel chairs and automatic doors and had bad fashion sense.

am I saying INTPs have bad fashion sense? well, take that however you will.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I have no fashion sense.

If it's practical, I wear it, if it's not, I don't. :p

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are those I know who'd agree with that, about me.

Also, wow, that dude/guy/Thomas Jefferson was smart; I was reading that going 'Chea, he's badass'. :D

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got into an argument once with [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] about Abraham Lincoln being INTP. I personally think the man was INFJ, but you might ask her about it. :alttongue:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got into an argument once with Jennifer about Abraham Lincoln being INTP. I personally think the man was INFJ, but you might ask her about it. :alttongue:

INTP.
No argument. :smile:

Srsly, though, let's face it: Fe wasn't his strong suit. It was up there, but certainly not good enough to be a secondary, it was always used to grease the use of another function.

R

Riva

^

Add to it that XNTPs decisions do get influenced by Fe more than what others believe or they believe.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTP.
No argument. :smile:

Srsly, though, let's face it: Fe wasn't his strong suit. It was up there, but certainly not good enough to be a secondary, it was always used to grease the use of another function.

I agree about INTP.

I don't think his Fe was as lacking as all that however. I mean, he used to hang out at his family's store, conversing with passersby and all who entered, I assume to pick their brain as he seemed to have had a voracious appetite for knowledge. I think people of yesteryear who weren't hermits, not to mention those who became successful, were generally pretty good (and much better) at using Fe than we are today, because you HAD to interact face-to-face with others, versus hiding behind communicative gadgets.

Basically I'm saying I'd wager that Abraham Lincoln's Fe likely surpassed mine, though I am an aux Fe user.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Basically I'm saying I'd wager that Abraham Lincoln's Fe likely surpassed mine, though I am an aux Fe user.

I think my point was that it wasn't an end in itself, it was used to support his other functions.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree about INTP.

I don't think his Fe was as lacking as all that however. I mean, he used to hang out at his family's store, conversing with passersby and all who entered, I assume to pick their brain as he seemed to have had a voracious appetite for knowledge. I think people of yesteryear who weren't hermits, not to mention those who became successful, were generally pretty good (and much better) at using Fe than we are today, because you HAD to interact face-to-face with others, versus hiding behind communicative gadgets.

I agree that INTP's in those days would be more likely to develop Fe.

INTP's will always seek knowledge where it is most readily available, meaning that INTP's these days are obviously prone to sitting behind communicative gadgets. It is also true however that INTP's have far more capacity to gain knowledge with all the information that is now readily available, as opposed in those days, where that knowledge was not readily available. So whilest you are making a statement saying that INTP's these days lack Fe which is negative. I'd say that INTP's have traded that Fe for much more knowledge and being the INTP's they are, if they're smart enough, better off because of it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's a good point that both you and AGA note. Nowadays INTPs have luxuries we didn't used to have. It's easy to forget that 100 years ago or more, people didn't have "luxury" time unless they were rich, you were basically working your ass off to keep you and your family alive and with food and clothes. The web-surfing/armchair philosopher wouldn't have lasted very long back then, unless they had friends in high places and could get a cushy job or sponsorship (like Nathaniel Hawthorne getting the counting house job via friends, which basically just meant he could sit around and write all the time).

As far as the tradeoff between social skills and knowledge, I suppose it's still good to walk some kind of balance; the smartest guy in the world is ineffectual unless he can deal with people in some way, and all that knowledge seems wasted to the world, if not to the private ambitions of the INTP.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

INTP's will always seek knowledge where it is most readily available, meaning that INTP's these days are obviously prone to sitting behind communicative gadgets. It is also true however that INTP's have far more capacity to gain knowledge with all the information that is now readily available, as opposed in those days, where that knowledge was not readily available. So whilest you are making a statement saying that INTP's these days lack Fe which is negative. I'd say that INTP's have traded that Fe for much more knowledge and being INTP's are, if they're smart enough, better off because of it.

I'm saying everyone lacks Fe today. Unless, perhaps, you are Amish.

And knowledge does not a community make. Do you think it's the most important facet of community or society: Knowledge?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can still see the difference these days between male and female INTP's. As female INTP's tend to grow up in an environment that more readily demands them to use their Fe in order to fit in, where the male INTP's are more often given more freedom to be more reclusive.

And knowledge does not a community make. Do you think it's the most important facet of community or society: Knowledge?

Nah, you shouldn't look at it like what is most important. We have 16 different types, so let's use that to our advantage. I'm just saying that INTP's will focus on the knowledge department, and other types can supply other facets.