• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My MBTI Tritype Theory

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do you think one would test for something like this? Would it go by cognitive functions or letter dichotomies?

I'm going by type descriptions as a whole when figuring out mine. INTP > INFP > ISFJ

I guess it matches up pretty well with both cognitive functions and letter dichotomies. I've posted about how I score high on Fi as an INTP and relate to Fi descriptions. I also have pretty good Si and identify with some aspects of ISFJ profiles without actually being that type.

Going by letter dichotomies, you'll notice that all three types are introverts, which is the letter I most strongly identify with.

You'll also notice that two of the 3 types are F types, yet the lead type is T. So you can see why I often have a hard time with the T/F preference and why I don't always feels as 'hardcore' T as some INTPs.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] @rep This is dumb. You're an ISTP with underdeveloped aux Se, in a dom-tert (TiNi) loop. Why don't you tell this to [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] who identifies as INTP leading with TiNi. Tell him he is an ISTP too.
Your theory is an ISTP can have a preference for Ni or intuition over Se or sensing and still be a sensor. I for one refuse to subscribe to such a view. You will never be able to find another ISTP in a TiNi loop.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm..

INFP INTP ENFP

I'm nearly 100% on N and P. :D

Funny, because that is the exact combination I would've said for myself!

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] @rep This is dumb. You're an ISTP with underdeveloped aux Se, in a dom-tert (TiNi) loop.

Just so you know, it's against the forum rules to post on the public forum what someone sends to you in private, without their prior permission.

I don't care, in this case, but you should know this for future reference.

Why don't you tell this to [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] who identifies as INTP leading with TiNi. Tell him he is an ISTP too.

Mal, if you predominantly use TiNi cognition, then you're an ISTP who is regularly in a dom-tert loop.

Your theory is an ISTP can have a preference for Ni or intuition over Se or sensing and still be a sensor.

When they're in a dom-tert loop, then yes, this is the case.

There's also a complicated matter of Se actually being a part of their cognition, but in a "sneaky way".

You, for example, tend to take a lot of input data in in a very "Sensorish"/Se kinda way.

You don't question it (i.e., your initial impression) very much, which is a more "iNtuitive" thing to do.

As such, while you may be in a TiNi loop, I wouldn't say you have an advanced form of Ni usage.

It's more like you use Ni in an ill-conceived way, to "bandage up" your disparate ideas about reality.

It's like Ni becomes a glue to hold together all these crazy ideas you just accept at face value (Se).

You will never be able to find another ISTP in a TiNi loop.

Yeah, actually, you will.

Mia.

Funny, because that is the exact combination I would've said for myself!

:hifive:

The closest is always F/T, which is nearly 50/50. Secondly I/E, which is something like 65/35. N and P are always off the charts.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just so you know, it's against the forum rules to post on the public forum what someone sends to you in private, without their prior permission.

I don't care, in this case, but you should know this for future reference.

Mal, if you predominantly use TiNi cognition, then you're an ISTP who is regularly in a dom-tert loop.

When they're in a dom-tert loop, then yes, this is the case.

There's also a complicated matter of Se actually being a part of their cognition, but in a "sneaky way".

You, for example, tend to take a lot of input data in in a very "Sensorish"/Se kinda way.

You don't question it (i.e., your initial impression) very much, which is a more "iNtuitive" thing to do.

As such, while you may be in a TiNi loop, I wouldn't say you have an advanced form of Ni usage.

It's more like you use Ni in an ill-conceived way, to "bandage up" your disparate ideas about reality.

It's like Ni becomes a glue to hold together all these crazy ideas you just accept at face value (Se).

Yeah, actually, you will.

Thagirion9, an INTJ on Youtube sent me this message explaining why I am not ISTP in their opinion but rather INTP:

You can not change your type. You are either one or the other. You can switch temporaritly and dabble in the other side, but that drains you and at the end of the day your true colors will show. I worked at a museum giving shows and classes. I had to be very extroverted and talk to lots of people. I was very good at this. But at the end of the day I was zonked and I could only do this part time not full time. Was I an ENTJ? Not at all. I can play the role but it's not permanent. INTP and ISTP have very different functions.
INTP is the Architet with Ti, Ne, Si Fe
ISTP is the Mechanic with Ti, Se, Ni, Fe

You're both analitical for being lead introverted thinkers but where the INTP bakes on the idea and keeps it theoretical ISTP wants to jump in the car and BE the test dummie because of his extroverted sensing second. ISTP's are more competitive and athletic because of this. They're also system builders third and don't use much intution because of this. INTP has extroverted intuition second. Very important for creativity, dreaming, pulling ideas from outer space. ISTP can not do this. This is the big difference in the two. This is too radical of a change to make permenantly unless you've been ISTP all along and need to really revaluate yourself and be introspective. I highly doubt that by the videos I've seen and how verbose you are. Not an ISTP trait.

No prob. I like analytical discussions. I told you that. I don't think type is hardwired from birth but that personality starts to develop in early childhood. Possily during language aquisition which is up to I think age 11, or was it 6? I can't remember right now but it's early. Children are difficult to type because they haven't really developed. Few are set earlier than that. Though I have memories from being 2 years old where it seems I had intuition.

"since 99% of intellectuals type themselves as well as other intellectuals as N."

Hehe as being in the rarest type I'm very happy to be in your supposed 1% as well. I'm good at typing others and I call it as I see it. S types are more common and in real life I don't say everyone's an N. I've typed several S types. I prefer to type fictional characters as they are more fun.

". Me acting the ISTP is also largely for humility because it is a very simple "I could be wrong", or an "I don't have all the answers attitude" unlike the narcissistic "I'm smarter than everybody" N attitude. "

"I could be wrong and I don't have all the answers" is typical INTP unsuredness. I'd say ISTP's come off more confident because of Se competitiveness in the second place. They could be mistaken as extroverts. Here's another example that N's don't type everyone as N's because they want them to be like them. On all the websites you'll find Hannibal Lecter typed as INTJ. I like Hannibal Lecter. As much as I'd like to have him in our camp he's not. He's ISTP. He's competitive and narsistic in a great confident way. He's one of the ones I will eventually talk about on one of my videos and do a point by point of why the websiters copy and paste each other and are wrong since they do not bother to check if what they are perpetuating is so.

"It's also funny to look more fun loving and foolish than you really are. INTP is hiding under the mask lol."

You are merely saying this because you are insecure and keep hearing from society that being an introvert is wrong. You "need to be more out going and open". You have not accepted your introversion that it is not wrong but just another way of doing things. Of the four traits introversion and extroversion are the only parts you are born with as they are a function of your brain pathways. See Laney's awesome book, "The Introvert Advantage" and I agree introversion is better than extroversion in most cases. Be proud to be a rare type, the second rarest there is. Good to admire INTJ's like Tesla, no aspire to their confidence and suredness.

"Thanks for the analytical feedback! That's interesting that type is hardwired from birth, maybe in the DNA. Frankly I'm just saying ISTP to be extremely unorthodox, since 99% of intellectuals type themselves as well as other intellectuals as N. It's almost hilarious. Me acting the ISTP is also largely for humility because it is a very simple "I could be wrong", or an "I don't have all the answers attitude" unlike the narcissistic "I'm smarter than everybody" N attitude. It's also funny to look more fun loving and foolish than you really are. INTP is hiding under the mask lol.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with the tri type. So that's what people were doing; I thought it was confusing test results people had gotten. The positive side of giving it way too much thought is that if I can modify the system somehow to be inclusive of mixed types, that could be kind of revolutionary and other people could understand themselves better too. I think cognitive functions can kind of combine themselves sometimes in different levels of development. It seems like it would be necessary, because they balance each other out and one would have to develop to balance the other; and if they are in vertical order in the consciousness, some can exist side by side but they still have to go through the original vertical structure. I don't agree with inferior and shadow functions always being negative; they are just more unconscious and so take more time and effort to develop and incorporate.

You [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] just explained my theory with the greatest logic and precision it could have possibly been presented with! You are almost surely INTP now in my book to help you type yourself at this thread http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/56400-thoughts-my-type-version-2-0-a.html , since INTP, the Architect, is so clear in thought and language. My tritype theory shall not fall!

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
At [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] I would also recommend viewing the types in terms of "tracks." I believea person can switch tritype tracks as well. For me, it is easier to be intj-enfp-entp, esfp-enfp-intj, estp-esfp-intj, or estp-entj-intp.

Also, combining this with helen Fisher's types I believe the rational functions are more related to neurological paths of development and the perceiving functions to brain wave pattern/neurotransmitter levels.

Hmm.. to put in mbti speak, I think xntj tends to be high testosterone lowered serotonin and dopamine2 higher pfc function non inetegrative neurology (imo generally caused by brain cleavages formed by exposure to testosterone in utero) variable dopamine low estrogen lowered endorphins

Xsfp otoh is more high estrogen high testosterone high serotonin lowered dopamine can have high norepinephrine during constant stress leading to adrenal fatigue. Variable pfc

These are just guesstimates based on how I've seen various types act/interact before of course

What I meant was that you have a certain form of morality, that is constructed by your more dominate cognative functions, wouldn't that clash if you were to 'switch' types? It seems to me this would always lead to cognative dissonance.

For example, the morals and values I live by are all based on my Ti process. If I was to say for example I was an INTP-INFP-whatever. Wouldn't that mean that if I was to assume some form of moral or value based on my INFP's Fi, it would clash enormously with my dominate Ti? Even if the result of the value is essentially the same, Ti still won't have any of it. Ti needs his arguements to be present as well! Cognative dissonance appears! :alttongue:

Or do you mean MBTI tritypes is more of a way to tap into the abilities of certain other cognative functions, rather than 'switching types',.So your first type in the tritype is still, and always will be, your true MBTI identity by which you live by. In which you build your morals, values and all such things exclusively. You just 'tap' into a different cognative function if you feel it is better for the situation.

In that case, it shouldn't be called MBTI tritype though, but something along the lines of cognative flexibility.

"Cognative flexibility, which cognative functions outside your prefered functions do you most often use?"

I think it is fairly obvious there is a lot of overlap between the actions, social roles, thought patterns, etc of the various types which impact neurology. For example, I think there is quite a bit more overlap between esfp and isfp than there is with say enfp and istj. Tjs tend to have more overlap w sjs imo. Imo the Fe-Te attraction in romantic relations often happens because of testosterone - estrogen levels. It's also interesting when you look at it from a "social class" or attachment style pov.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Going by four dichotomies, I guess I'd be ISFP ESFP INFP...ENFP.

I actually have very weak I/E, but typed as INFP (leaning ENFP) on the official MB and typed as ESFP on the official Keirsey report. I paid for both of those.

I get INFP a lot.

FP are my strongest letters. I often get 100% P, and in the 70-80% of F.

E/I seems like a crap shoot, and N/S depends on the questions on the test, and my mood at the moment.

I say ISFP ESFP INFP, though, because if we're going by the four dichotomies, on both the Keirsey and PTypes system I consider myself an Artisan/Hedonist.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] just explained my theory with the greatest logic and precision it could have possibly been presented with! You are almost surely INTP now in my book to help you type yourself at this thread http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/56400-thoughts-my-type-version-2-0-a.html , since INTP, the Architect, is so clear in thought and language. My tritype theory shall not fall!

This makes me feel unreasonably good. :p

At [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] I would also recommend viewing the types in terms of "tracks." I believea person can switch tritype tracks as well. For me, it is easier to be intj-enfp-entp, esfp-enfp-intj, estp-esfp-intj, or estp-entj-intp.

Also, combining this with helen Fisher's types I believe the rational functions are more related to neurological paths of development and the perceiving functions to brain wave pattern/neurotransmitter levels.

Hmm.. to put in mbti speak, I think xntj tends to be high testosterone lowered serotonin and dopamine2 higher pfc function non inetegrative neurology (imo generally caused by brain cleavages formed by exposure to testosterone in utero) variable dopamine low estrogen lowered endorphins

Xsfp otoh is more high estrogen high testosterone high serotonin lowered dopamine can have high norepinephrine during constant stress leading to adrenal fatigue. Variable pfc

These are just guesstimates based on how I've seen various types act/interact before of course

I think it is fairly obvious there is a lot of overlap between the actions, social roles, thought patterns, etc of the various types which impact neurology. For example, I think there is quite a bit more overlap between esfp and isfp than there is with say enfp and istj. Tjs tend to have more overlap w sjs imo. Imo the Fe-Te attraction in romantic relations often happens because of testosterone - estrogen levels. It's also interesting when you look at it from a "social class" or attachment style pov.

Wow, this is so interesting! I'd love to know more about neurological functioning in MBTI. It sounds like it makes a lot of sense. We (the interested and analytical people on this site) should grab some scientists and collectively write a book.

And I'd have to say I am INTP INFP INTJ. With just a dash of S.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This makes me feel unreasonably good. :p

Wow, this is so interesting! I'd love to know more about neurological functioning in MBTI. It sounds like it makes a lot of sense. We (the interested and analytical people on this site) should grab some scientists and collectively write a book.

And I'd have to say I am INTP INFP INTJ. With just a dash of S.

Check out the dario nardi eegs of various types thread. It was quite interesting

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's my story/theory of how my cognitive functions work together:
I am very strong on Ni, since I am a mystical spiritual sort. I use my intuition collectively to gather information; I have N for perceiving the outside and the inside. Since I spent years with my heart and my head fighting with each other and my T telling my F it was irrational and my F getting angry (modeled by my parents), I have learned to make them work together. It is indeed the only way I can be rational and functional. Not that I don't have purely feeling and purely thinking moments, but they are always in appropriate situations (ideally).

The way I see it F and T just look at complimentary sides of an issue, and there is no reason not to see both. And since T knows the collective truth which incorporates both subjective and objective, it works to be Ti dominant, or primary in the case of INTJ. I have a complex internal logical framework which is definitely more Ti; but Fi is incorporated. I am strongly connected to the things I care about and behaving in accordance. These feelings form the basis of what I think is true in regard to respecting life and living harmoniously; but they are always balanced with T. (The objective and inanimate side of reality is equally important, and I focus on the transcendent underlying principles of the universe which I logically put together.) I never use my Fi to extrapolate a universal truth without considering the big picture, that is whether it can have a logical explanation (Ti) and scientific type evidence in the real world (Te). So in this way my Fi and Ti talk to each other and reach logical conclusions. Ne or Si triggers Fi, which sends its impressions to my Ni, which sends the information to Ti to analyze and categorize and pick apart, which tells Te to look for evidence and irrefutable premises in the real world; then whatever truth I find gets sent back to my Ti to fit in logically with my framework. In this way my Fi and Ti don't clash. F just looks at subjective and T looks at objective, T forms a truth and then asks F how she feels about it, and in this way we reach a consensus. Not that they always agree; it's a dialogue, and I still have trouble dealing with emotions without constantly second guessing myself and telling myself I'm irrational. But I digress. I think Ni can be kind of a combination of Fi and Ti, as in INTJ; so it makes sense that developing Ni would trigger more of an INTJ order, and that my decision making process looks like that type while my inner worlds look like INTP and INFP. I can incorporate my Fi into my intuition by looking inward into my unconsciousness and having a dialogue with myself, then taking that information to my conscious (Ti) mind.

Ethics and decisions aside, I use Fi most for survival. It tells me what is and isn't good for me. But in this way it is filtered through my Ne. Ne picks up information, Fi reacts to it and senses the energy and tells me whether I feel comfortable and safe or not; then if my Fi/Ne says "pay attention," it goes to my Ti for analysis and Te for validation, and I incorporate the information into my framework. I can almost always explain an Fi reaction to something I perceive with Ne + Ti associations and logic.

I see it filtered through Si because all my positive emotions seem to be based on some physical/sensual experience. I need to experience something pleasurable and comfortable in order to feel happy if I am upset or insecure. I need physical evidence to convince myself of deep positive truths. Looking at pretty things, being in nature, eating something good, listening to music, getting a hug, hugging a tree (to feel grounded), or talking to someone makes me feel like I have something to hold onto and I'm not going to be swept away into a watery abyss of negative Fi. In contrast to INFP I like talking about my feelings and one reason is that when I hear them put into words and spoken aloud it seems real and not some confusing muddled unconscious mess. If someone offers advice and tells me things which are true the experience of physically hearing something (that my Ti agrees with) helps convince my unconscious mind that it really is true. Ti communicating to Fi via Si.

*Fi doesn't always come first of course; usually I live in my mind in an Ne Ti adventure, daydreaming and thinking and doing fun S things (and using my Fi to help me have fun)- but when it shows up it does in these ways.

This might be a bit rambling as it is the first time I've attempted to write it all down, but I hope it is useful and interesting and can help explain how someone can be INXP with J.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ :happy0065:
Someone needs to publish a book on this radical new Tritype theory greenfairy, Mal+ and me have developed, the above story being the premeir example for it.

redacted

I don't really have anything against this idea in theory, but in the tradeoff between descriptive ease and specificity, it seems like this leans too much towards the specificity side. I like MBTI because you can say a type and immediately communicate a certain cognitive style, but if I want to describe a person's thought process in more depth I find it's better to drop the constraints of typology altogether.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey fellas, you know how people are assigned an Enneagram Tritype? I am wondering if the same rules could apply to MBTI types. Me and Mal+ have a theory that we all take on traits of multiple types.

I dig it

I, for one, am probably INTP with a weak N and a mediocre P, making my MBTI Tritype INTP ISTP INTJ

I thought about this...and I don't think it would really work lol, all that's saying is your Ti and Ne are weaker than normal. Maybe havn't found your passion in life? :shrug: We would probably end up with more than just three types too, as it scales down to our least used functions.

I'll go for INFP INTP ENFP anyway lol. I like to use Ti but I'm not an INTP though.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Going by four dichotomies, I guess I'd be ISFP ESFP INFP...ENFP.

I actually have very weak I/E, but typed as INFP (leaning ENFP) on the official MB and typed as ESFP on the official Keirsey report. I paid for both of those.

I get INFP a lot.

FP are my strongest letters. I often get 100% P, and in the 70-80% of F.

E/I seems like a crap shoot, and N/S depends on the questions on the test, and my mood at the moment.

I say ISFP ESFP INFP, though, because if we're going by the four dichotomies, on both the Keirsey and PTypes system I consider myself an Artisan/Hedonist.

I was thinking something similar for me. Though I think my order would be flipped. ISFP INFP ESFP, I've tested as all those types in the past.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like this theory :) I don't really buy into it [I personally prefer the dominant/inferior theory myself].

But ... that said, this tickles my Ne so I'm gonna go with:

ENTP, ENFJ, INFJ.

I also have a shadow Tritype which is something like this:

ESTJ, INFP, ESFJ