• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My MBTI Tritype Theory

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey fellas, you know how people are assigned an Enneagram Tritype? I am wondering if the same rules could apply to MBTI types. Me and Mal+ have a theory that we all take on traits of multiple types. I, for one, am probably INTP with a weak N and a mediocre P, making my MBTI Tritype INTP ISTP INTJ. Me and Mal+ also have a theory that the Jungian dominant functions theory is not a strict rule, since each type has the potential to employ all functions, and if one is typed solely by functions manifested in behavior rather than thought patterns, it could lead to lots of confusion and mistypings, as has painfully happened so many times before on this forum (take the type Yoda thread for example as an INTP/INFJ which I will link here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/54880-what-type-yoda.html ). Me and Mal+ also type as TiNi, 2 functions that under the rules of the book do not work hand in hand as dominant and auxilary functions do. Any thoughts?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is what I've been saying for how long now?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJ ISTP ISTJ here

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is how my Ti and Ni manifest together:

The meaning of life, the quest of Albert Einstein for the Creative Force of God and the Holy Grail Vortex of Nikola Tesla sparks the immortal journey of Divine Destiny, the White Hole of Creation and Light and the Black Hole of Darkness and Destruction, the voice of hyperspace, controlling the cosmos and chaos of water, frost, fire, and lighting, channeling the electric fluids of the Ether, forging and annihilating material substances in eternally whirling cycles, unleashing the unlimited energies of stellar alchemical sorcery, ripping the fabric of space and time, opening wormhole warps to all possible planes of existence within the quantum realm of the infinite multiverse, harmoniously orchestrating synthesized superstring symphonies, humbly opening the eyes of knowledge, awakening the mind to all conscious perspectives of the multidimensional relativistic reality, hacking the Universal Supercomputer of Nassim Haramein, destroying old laws and programming new laws into the Existential Game, solving the secret codes of Leonardo da Vinci and the prophetic revelations of Isaac Newton, magically manifesting dreams, tapping focused willpower, shape shifting the physical world of infinite evolutionary transformations, taming the Storm Dragon of Hell, freely flying, becoming one with the inscrutable source of Walter Russell and from which springs the Perfect All of Baruch Spinoza, sailing the oceans of Nirvana, sprouting the bubbles of Genesis, seeking the Higher Balance of Heaven, above and beyond the loftiest levels of the Tree of Life, the crowning ascension besides the Creator of Gottfried Leibniz, the Ultimate Architect of the Universe, the Arch Mage of the Arcanum, the Archon of the Aeon, Cosmic Master Melchizedek, the wisest Wizard.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I'd be INTP INFP ISFJ

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty much just INTP. My Ti is always dominant. Although I suppose when I'm driving I use my Ne much more dominantly, which would make me ENTP.

But hmm, nah, basicly always INTP.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How do you think one would test for something like this? Would it go by cognitive functions or letter dichotomies?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I'd be an enfp entp infp

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
enfp infp istj I think

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do you think one would test for something like this? Would it go by cognitive functions or letter dichotomies?

I think they mean they feel they 'change' their types/cognative process usage based on the situation they are in.

Obviously, you can't be three types at the same time after all.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

That is one of the kinks in the theory that needs refining. I am mainly thinking functions combined with type description. For example, an INTJ might act more like an ISTP than an ISTJ because the first 2 have Ni in common as well as a utilitarian nature, whereas the 3rd is a rule follower and leads with Si rather than Ni.

ISTP and INTJ also are about equally likely to be Enneagram 5, whereas for ISTJ it is less likely. So ya, it goes more my functions and type description than letter dichotomy.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP-INFP-INFJ :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Might I also say, and note that I could very well be terribly wrong as I don't relate at all to this idea being a possibility for myself, that I don't really see how being a 'MBTI tritype' or 'cognative function changer' is particularly healthy?

How can you deal with one situation as one type, and then the next situation as another, and have any sense of identity or authenticity left? It seems to me that that is a light form of scizophrenia. Creating situations where you will inevitable disassociate yoruself with your previous actions as those actions no longer fit your profile when using different cognative processes?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By treating the functions as a toolkit you can combine and compose the way you prefer and the way that deals best with the situation :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really take issue with the concept, since for pretty much the entire time I've been a member of this forum, I've been more of a naysayer regarding mbti theory and all of that, and often things that are said on the forum re. the theory or its application I don't really agree with, and I don't identify with any profile or function lineup in any black-and-white way, and don't resemble many infj's in many ways. :smile:

That said, I don't really know what my tritype would be. It really depends on how I want to look at everything, as I feel like I can be very contextual. But I suppose that's the point of this concept.

I'm not tied to these three, but think they might be most accurate for a general mbti tritype thingie.... INFJ / INTJ/ ISFP/ISTP (ISFP/ISTP tied, as I could potentially see both, esp. in my leisure and activity time) (And yes, I realize all of these cognitively align pretty well)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFP, INFP, ENTP (me thinks)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By treating the functions as a toolkit you can combine and compose the way you prefer and the way that deals best with the situation :)

What I meant was that you have a certain form of morality, that is constructed by your more dominate cognative functions, wouldn't that clash if you were to 'switch' types? It seems to me this would always lead to cognative dissonance.

For example, the morals and values I live by are all based on my Ti process. If I was to say for example I was an INTP-INFP-whatever. Wouldn't that mean that if I was to assume some form of moral or value based on my INFP's Fi, it would clash enormously with my dominate Ti? Even if the result of the value is essentially the same, Ti still won't have any of it. Ti needs his arguements to be present as well! Cognative dissonance appears! :alttongue:

Or do you mean MBTI tritypes is more of a way to tap into the abilities of certain other cognative functions, rather than 'switching types',.So your first type in the tritype is still, and always will be, your true MBTI identity by which you live by. In which you build your morals, values and all such things exclusively. You just 'tap' into a different cognative function if you feel it is better for the situation.

In that case, it shouldn't be called MBTI tritype though, but something along the lines of cognative flexibility.

"Cognative flexibility, which cognative functions outside your prefered functions do you most often use?"

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, ISFP-INTJ-ENTP?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What I meant was that you have a certain form of morality, that is constructed by your more dominate cognative functions, wouldn't that clash if you were to 'switch' types? It seems to me this would always lead to cognative dissonance.

For example, the morals and values I live by are all based on my Ti process. If I was to say for example I was an INTP-INFP-whatever. Wouldn't that mean that if I was to assume some form of moral or value based on my INFP's Fi, it would clash enormously with my dominate Ti? Even if the result of the value is essentially the same, Ti still won't have any of it. Ti needs his arguements to be present as well! Cognative dissonance appears! :alttongue:

Or do you mean MBTI tritypes is more of a way to tap into the abilities of certain other cognative functions, rather than 'switching types',.So your first type in the tritype is still, and always will be, your true MBTI identity by which you live by. In which you build your morals, values and all such things exclusively. You just 'tap' into a different cognative function if you feel it is better for the situation.

In that case, it shouldn't be called MBTI tritype though, but something along the lines of cognative flexibility.

"Cognative flexibility, which cognative functions outside your prefered functions do you most often use?"

I keep the same values, but I do find that switching to 'INFJ' makes it easier for my family to accept me. I just switch the way in which I..communicate them, I guess :)
So yeah, it's tapping into the strenghts of the other functions to show the real you, imho. Kinda like speaking their maternal tongue, which makes them feel more at ease. It costs me a lot of energy..but not nearly as much as the misunderstandings and clean up cost me :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I keep the same values, but I do find that switching to 'INFJ' makes it easier for my family to accept me. I just switch the way in which I..communicate them, I guess :)
So yeah, it's tapping into the strenghts of the other functions to show the real you, imho. Kinda like speaking their maternal tongue, which makes them feel more at ease. It costs me a lot of energy..but not nearly as much as the misunderstandings and clean up cost me :)

Yeah, I think that's just congative flexibility, rather than a 'change of MBTI' type.