• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is research a Te thing?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm supposedly an ENTP, and I'm extremely good at researching things. It's just that I kind of take on multiple resources at a time and come to one perfect conclusion by analyzing. What's the difference between how Te users and Ti users research? It seems like Te users trust the facts, and Ti has to come to it's own conclusion on things. Is this right?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Te is a researcher when used in auxiliary mode, and Ni or Si dom is trying to justify a theory.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If the Great One is so enthralled by Te, perhaps he should consider ENTJ for his type. Hey, you never know!

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It can be both but the way you said that you 'take on multiple resources at a time and come to one perfect conclusion by analyzing' sounds a bit more like Te. If you mean like 'resource 1 is outdated, resource 2 is recent but let's read resource 1 anyway and analyze everything wrong about it' then probably not. Te likes and will probably try push conclusions faster than Ti.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
you must be Si dom because you said "thing"

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Facts are kind of boring and self-evident, when I research I want to get to the deep core of things. I'd guess I mostly use my Ni creative function.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I do know that on those occasions where I actually get involved in a serious debate, (read as 'internet pillow-fight'), I do find myself researching in the sense of gathering facts to help argue my point and while facts are hardly the be-all end-all of an argument, they certainly help get the point across.

Of course it does depend on the argument and what the subject happens to be, plenty of times ive argued without even a backward glance at facts.....mainly because what was being discussed was irrelevant to facts and was about views and opinions.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
If the Great One is so enthralled by Te, perhaps he should consider ENTJ for his type. Hey, you never know!

The first time I took the test, I got ESTJ. However, after being around many ESTJ's I think that test was definitely wrong.

Facts are kind of boring and self-evident, when I research I want to get to the deep core of things. I'd guess I mostly use my Ni creative function.

I also want to get to the deep, core of things.

I do know that on those occasions where I actually get involved in a serious debate, (read as 'internet pillow-fight'), I do find myself researching in the sense of gathering facts to help argue my point and while facts are hardly the be-all end-all of an argument, they certainly help get the point across.

Of course it does depend on the argument and what the subject happens to be, plenty of times ive argued without even a backward glance at facts.....mainly because what was being discussed was irrelevant to facts and was about views and opinions.

I agree with a lot of what you said here.

It can be both but the way you said that you 'take on multiple resources at a time and come to one perfect conclusion by analyzing' sounds a bit more like Te. If you mean like 'resource 1 is outdated, resource 2 is recent but let's read resource 1 anyway and analyze everything wrong about it' then probably not. Te likes and will probably try push conclusions faster than Ti.

Well, I don't really try to push my conclusions. Maybe I am using Ni and confusing it with Ti. What do you think [MENTION=6336]AphroditeGoneAwry[/MENTION]?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think if you want to perfect a construct or idea in your mind, or irl, that is Ti.

Te is all the data to support your internal processes, I think.

What you do with all that you glean is then a process of your motivations, whatever those may be, which are probably mostly influenced by ego needs, etc.

I think those with a Te dom or aux drive seem to know a lot about many things, and might seem expert at many things.

Those that are more Ti dom or aux can do many things or fix many things; sort-of like a jack of all trades.

In contrast, a Te-er wants to be an expert, or fancies himself an 'expert' even if he doesn't necessarily admit that. You feel it. A Ti-er doesn't care to appear expert, but he sort-of is in the realm of doing, versus knowing.

So when Te combines with Ni (as in an ENTJ), that expert thing, combined with an Ni knowing thing, is what makes the entj have an almost intolerable personality. I assume the same is true with Te and Si, except in a more ritualistic way.?

When Ti combines with Ne you get the inventor thing because all the Ne possibilities combine with the Ti ability to solve problems and you get innovative thought. When it combines with Se you get a working system, at least mechanistically (not necessarily socially or emotionally due to potential for lack of F).

Fun thoughts! What do you think?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Te is about adherence to structural/objective/logical reasons that one finds trustworthy in order to come to an impartial and rational decision. It has little to do with research (which could be a said hallmark of ENTP more so than an xNTJ, but technically any type is capable of being a good researcher).

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Te is about adherence to structural/objective/logical reasons that one finds trustworthy in order to come to an impartial and rational decision. It has little to do with research (which could be a said hallmark of ENTP more so than an xNTJ, but technically any type is capable of being a good researcher).

So you think that being a good researcher is a strong characteristic of ENTP types? So even though anyone could be good at it, ENTP's tend to take the prize?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So you think that being a good researcher is a strong characteristic of ENTP types? So even though anyone could be good at it, ENTP's tend to take the prize?

No, being a good researcher could be a strong characteristic of any type, equally among them (in fact, forget that I mentioned anything about ENTP possibly being better than xNTJ at research).

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
If I research something, I base everything on some real-life tangible facts I've experienced first-hand. People can get so caught up with books and books about something they really don't know anything about; I'm escaping the trap by only researching about - say, nuclear energy, if I can handle the formulas of power, energy, amps and volts behind it. Which I do.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think if you want to perfect a construct or idea in your mind, or irl, that is Ti.

Te is all the data to support your internal processes, I think.

What you do with all that you glean is then a process of your motivations, whatever those may be, which are probably mostly influenced by ego needs, etc.

I think those with a Te dom or aux drive seem to know a lot about many things, and might seem expert at many things.

Those that are more Ti dom or aux can do many things or fix many things; sort-of like a jack of all trades.

In contrast, a Te-er wants to be an expert, or fancies himself an 'expert' even if he doesn't necessarily admit that. You feel it. A Ti-er doesn't care to appear expert, but he sort-of is in the realm of doing, versus knowing.

So when Te combines with Ni (as in an ENTJ), that expert thing, combined with an Ni knowing thing, is what makes the entj have an almost intolerable personality. I assume the same is true with Te and Si, except in a more ritualistic way.?

When Ti combines with Ne you get the inventor thing because all the Ne possibilities combine with the Ti ability to solve problems and you get innovative thought. When it combines with Se you get a working system, at least mechanistically (not necessarily socially or emotionally due to potential for lack of F).

Fun thoughts! What do you think?

Two functions make an inventor, another combo of 2 funcs make an intolerable personality. Yeah, really objective :D

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
is what makes the entj have an almost intolerable personality.

tumblr_ltdax9enoT1qze50n.gif

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Two functions make an inventor, another combo of 2 funcs make an intolerable personality. Yeah, really objective :D

I think Te dom personalities struggle with the rest of us being ignoramuses, and that tends to show, especially if they are immature or have some ego-fixation going on.

The same can probably be said for Fe dom, right? Except regarding people, not extraneous factoids.

Well, part of what can make an entj so judgmental is the combo of Te with Ni (the 'knowing' function)...So when you not only are armed to the hilt with factoids, but you also are intuitive, and 'know', things, I'd imagine you'd struggle with the mindset of always thinking you are right about everything.

I'm trying to posit a similar hypothesis for Te and Si. But Si is more about attaching meaning to certain objects and ideas that are grounded to our senses, and when we have memory and experience tied to our bodies like that, things can become ingrained within us, allowing for very little adjustment. So when factoids filter through our internal sensory processes, those factoids get tied to, or locked down, within the mind because they are locked down within the body. I think this would lead a Te/Si-er to need to follow a proscribed plan of action, which can lead to, or look like ritual.

That's what I was trying to say. Did I describe it adequately? :thinking:

Or would you agree?