• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is research a Te thing?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Difficult question indeed. When people think about research they tend to forget the tremendous amount of pure boring administration it brings with it. And of course you'ld need to be a Ni or Si cause the field you research in often is narrow and has to stay that narrow. Seldom scientifical topics really require a broad base of knowledge skills.

I'ld say regarding NTs, entps are the worst researchers of them all, they are more like explorers. Intps are imo the best researchers, while NTJs would be the best for an actual job in research. Depends on how much the intp is into an actual necessary or wanted field of research.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
No, being a good researcher could be a strong characteristic of any type, equally among them (in fact, forget that I mentioned anything about ENTP possibly being better than xNTJ at research).

Okay I will forget.

If I research something, I base everything on some real-life tangible facts I've experienced first-hand. People can get so caught up with books and books about something they really don't know anything about; I'm escaping the trap by only researching about - say, nuclear energy, if I can handle the formulas of power, energy, amps and volts behind it. Which I do.

So then what you are saying is that the ENTJ is much more focused with their research?

Difficult question indeed. When people think about research they tend to forget the tremendous amount of pure boring administration it brings with it. And of course you'ld need to be a Ni or Si cause the field you research in often is narrow and has to stay that narrow. Seldom scientifical topics really require a broad base of knowledge skills.

I'ld say regarding NTs, entps are the worst researchers of them all, they are more like explorers. Intps are imo the best researchers, while NTJs would be the best for an actual job in research. Depends on how much the intp is into an actual necessary or wanted field of research.

My research is never narrow. My research changes topics with the wind.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Okay I will forget.

So then what you are saying is that the ENTJ is much more focused with their research?

My research is never narrow. My research changes topics with the wind.

ja i meant real research not social studies :p

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well, part of what can make an entj so judgmental is the combo of Te with Ni (the 'knowing' function)...So when you not only are armed to the hilt with factoids, but you also are intuitive, and 'know', things, I'd imagine you'd struggle with the mindset of always thinking you are right about everything.

I'm trying to posit a similar hypothesis for Te and Si. But Si is more about attaching meaning to certain objects and ideas that are grounded to our senses, and when we have memory and experience tied to our bodies like that, things can become ingrained within us, allowing for very little adjustment. So when factoids filter through our internal sensory processes, those factoids get tied to, or locked down, within the mind because they are locked down within the body. I think this would lead a Te/Si-er to need to follow a proscribed plan of action, which can lead to, or look like ritual.

That's what I was trying to say. Did I describe it adequately? :thinking:

Or would you agree?
I don't know. Maybe. :shrug:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm not saying about ENTJ in general. Data points, although hard to come by, are more valuable than speculation.

But do you just trust these fact? You don't have to investigate them for yourself?

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think if you want to perfect a construct or idea in your mind, or irl, that is Ti.

Te is all the data to support your internal processes, I think.

What you do with all that you glean is then a process of your motivations, whatever those may be, which are probably mostly influenced by ego needs, etc.

I think those with a Te dom or aux drive seem to know a lot about many things, and might seem expert at many things.

Those that are more Ti dom or aux can do many things or fix many things; sort-of like a jack of all trades.

In contrast, a Te-er wants to be an expert, or fancies himself an 'expert' even if he doesn't necessarily admit that. You feel it. A Ti-er doesn't care to appear expert, but he sort-of is in the realm of doing, versus knowing.

So when Te combines with Ni (as in an ENTJ), that expert thing, combined with an Ni knowing thing, is what makes the entj have an almost intolerable personality. I assume the same is true with Te and Si, except in a more ritualistic way.?

When Ti combines with Ne you get the inventor thing because all the Ne possibilities combine with the Ti ability to solve problems and you get innovative thought. When it combines with Se you get a working system, at least mechanistically (not necessarily socially or emotionally due to potential for lack of F).

Fun thoughts! What do you think?

Only thing I want to further add is that "doing" is a primarily Se-Ti thing.

Ne-Ti is pure thinking and imagining the outcome of possibly doing in most cases - until and unless there's an inspiration or motivation that kicks the inferior Si into action. Which is another reason why much of the work done by ENTP's lies around the way-side. Leaving projects unfinished and conducting poor research is an ultimate ENTP weakness.

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm supposedly an ENTP, and I'm extremely good at researching things. It's just that I kind of take on multiple resources at a time and come to one perfect conclusion by analyzing. What's the difference between how Te users and Ti users research? It seems like Te users trust the facts, and Ti has to come to it's own conclusion on things. Is this right?

Ne is all about taking in multiple feelings/thoughts/ideas/data (interpreting) and Ti/Fi would filter through it and pick the "best" one (Analyzing/Valuing) to make a final decision. If you are researching multiple things at one time, to find the best conclusion, then you are using NeTi.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm not sure what you mean. What am I not investigating? What am I taking as facts?

Yes. How do you know the facts are valid if you don't investigate for yourself?

Ne is all about taking in multiple feelings/thoughts/ideas/data (interpreting) and Ti/Fi would filter through it and pick the "best" one (Analyzing/Valuing) to make a final decision. If you are researching multiple things at one time, to find the best conclusion, then you are using NeTi.

Thank you Treebob. This is actually the most helpful answer in this entire thread.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
How do you investigate then?

Well, let me give you an example. I go to university and get decent grades. Someone hands me assignment to evaluate the value of Requirements Engineering over Waterfall model.

So I immediately get an idea of what's affecting this research.
-Situation around this question (who's who, what's what)
-What's involved .. software engineering, different ideas that aren't wholly parallel and aren't wholly opposite .. this makes it feel its a trick question of sorts
-what I know about it .. I've learned a lot of courses
-What I can verify per first-hand experience .. I've done this software project for a guy who expected me to change my waterfall model process per his ideas as if it were an agile process
-what resources I have at it.. I have my local bookstore and access to relevant scientific literature on the subject, plus means to understand it
-I have many compilers at my disposal and means to compile code with them
-I have many acquintances with whom to discuss details & ideas

So I just follow some process that integrates some or all of them in some fashion. Probably with some combination of conservatism and wild thought.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, let me give you an example. I go to university and get decent grades. Someone hands me assignment to evaluate the value of Requirements Engineering over Waterfall model.

So I immediately get an idea of what's affecting this research.
-Situation around this question (who's who, what's what)
-What's involved .. software engineering, different ideas that aren't wholly parallel and aren't wholly opposite .. this makes it feel its a trick question of sorts
-what I know about it .. I've learned a lot of courses
-What I can verify per first-hand experience .. I've done this software project for a guy who expected me to change my waterfall model process per his ideas as if it were an agile process
-what resources I have at it.. I have my local bookstore and access to relevant scientific literature on the subject, plus means to understand it
-I have many compilers at my disposal and means to compile code with them
-I have many acquintances with whom to discuss details & ideas

So I just follow some process that integrates some or all of them in some fashion. Probably with some combination of conservatism and wild thought.

My style of investigating is so much different. I don't trust external facts at all. I think that external facts must be investigated themselves, to evaluate whether they are even accurate. In addition, if you are a Te engineer, you probably learn how to construct things best from reading books and having things explained to you don't you? I personally don't learn this way at all: I think I would learn best from a hands on approach of actually tinkering with gadgets and figuring out the technology myself. The way I learn and investigate things is so personal.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
My style of investigating is so much different. I don't trust external facts at all. I think that external facts must be investigated themselves, to evaluate whether they are even accurate. In addition, if you are a Te engineer, you probably learn how to construct things best from reading books and having things explained to you don't you? I personally don't learn this way at all: I think I would learn best from a hands on approach of actually tinkering with gadgets and figuring out the technology myself. The way I learn and investigate things is so personal.
Yeah, well what I've experienced personally and what I do first-hand is a part of everything, not the whole part.

But.. it takes only so little effort to get the basic things right, the rest of the job is done by reading books and references. But it doesn't mean that I don't have a connection to the real thing: exactly opposite.

I only even *start* believing anything that has a connection with the real thing. And the real thing is something someone can have a hands-on experience with.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yeah, well what I've experienced personally and what I do first-hand is a part of everything, not the whole part.

But.. it takes only so little effort to get the basic things right, the rest of the job is done by reading books and references. But it doesn't mean that I don't have a connection to the real thing: exactly opposite.

I only even *start* believing anything that has a connection with the real thing. And the real thing is something someone can have a hands-on experience with.

I just don't believe the facts at all though. I have to figure out everything for myself.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I just don't believe the facts at all though. I have to figure out everything for myself.
Well, for me, a fact isn't a fact until I've experienced it done it myself.. but after I've done so, it's a fact.

I'm the LAST PERSON ON EARTH to belive a statement "believe X, because it's a fact."

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, for me, a fact isn't a fact until I've experienced it done it myself.. but after I've done so, it's a fact.

I'm the LAST PERSON ON EARTH to belive a statement "believe X, because it's a fact."

Hmm..I can relate to that. All the pre- planning I can't relate to though and especially the resources gathering part. I tend to have open ended strategies and not plans. For instance, in many situations I say, "Ok this situation could go like this, this, or this. Now if this happens, I'm going to do this. Then, if this happens I'm going to do this. Finally, if this happens, I'm going to do this." I kind of plan for situations.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hmm..I can relate to that. All the pre- planning I can't relate to though and especially the resources gathering part. I tend to have open ended strategies and not plans. For instance, in many situations I say, "Ok this situation could go like this, this, or this. Now if this happens, I'm going to do this. Then, if this happens I'm going to do this. Finally, if this happens, I'm going to do this." I kind of plan for situations.

Well, that's pretty much how my thinking goes. I have trees of decision in my mind realtime, vague roadmaps. I plan long-term things vaguely and short-term things ever more presicely, and at short-enough time-span I just execute, not plan. But then I'm my own boss, so I ever think what I should decide for myself, and what of my own commands I should obey. But, this isn't much about research, is it?

In any case, mythbusters is one of my favorites in exposing the scientific mindview - which is most about making tests, if you asks me. Edison is another one who's (un) scientific method has inspired me. A third one is Tesla.

Einstein inspires me, but not per scientific method, because I've never learned to understand what his method was about.