• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi and Problems with Authority

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've noticed that IXFPs have particular issues with authority, namely, being told what to do in an authoritarian tone of voice, obeying traffic laws, and other things of this nature. Since every function has a problem with its inferior it occurred to me that the Fi-dom must be showing its Te inferior by having problems with authority figures and external laws.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've noticed that IXFPs have particular issues with authority, namely, being told what to do in an authoritarian tone of voice, obeying traffic laws, and other things of this nature. Since every function has a problem with its inferior it occurred to me that the Fi-dom must be showing its Te inferior by having problems with authority figures and external laws.

Meh... I'm actually very law abiding, generally. What I can't stand is authority wielded in ways that are cruel or don't make sense. Blindly enforcing rules when they are counter-productive makes me crazy. Conversely, most traffic laws have real utility and so don't get on my last nerve.

I admit disliking having someone tell me what to do... but that's a reflexive in-the-moment response. After some thought I tend to absorb and re-evaluate.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Now that was illuminating!

I'm actually very law abiding, generally. What I can't stand is authority wielded in ways that are cruel or don't make sense. Blindly enforcing rules when they are counter-productive makes me crazy. Conversely, most traffic laws have real utility and so don't get on my last nerve.

I admit disliking having someone tell me what to do... but that's a reflexive in-the-moment response. After some thought I tend to absorb and re-evaluate.

So you admit that "meh" was just a reflex action, and now you've had a chance to absorb and re-evaluate.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

so do ExFPs

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Meh... I'm actually very law abiding, generally. What I can't stand is authority wielded in ways that are cruel or don't make sense. Blindly enforcing rules when they are counter-productive makes me crazy. Conversely, most traffic laws have real utility and so don't get on my last nerve.

+1

I'm not really resistant to rules and authority, but then my own values tend to relatively align with the laws of my country. I think most IXFPs don't want to waste their time resisting every restriction or demand on us; we're actually pretty go-with-the-flow about most things, saving our outrage for values that really matter to us.

I do very much dislike being bossed about, though. If you want to see a IXFP's defiant side all you have to do is micro-manage them; particularly if you attempt to control, dictate or wrongly claim to know, their thoughts, feelings, opinions, needs, moral views, nature etc. It's often only when my sense of self or my individuality is threatened that I become stubbornly resistant and difficult, if not intentionally contrary. In NZ we have a term for this: "bloody-minded". ;)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I said, "being told what to do in an authoritarian tone of voice."

I'm looking for clues as to the meaning of "controlling, micro-managing Te type" in the inferior mode, with regard to how "I did it my way" Fi-dom relates to it.

MissLizzy

Generally, I don't have problems with authority.

But I can say that many times in my life, I faced some "authorities" that get on my nerves. I really get very angry when people use their authority to try to humiliate others, or use it in a childish mode, attacking people personally and so on. Yesterday I really lost my temper with a guy who was in a higher position than me, and started to attack me (we had problems last year and I just can't stand him). I can't deal with it and I respond agressively.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think most IXFPs don't want to waste their time resisting every restriction or demand on us; we're actually pretty go-with-the-flow about most things, saving our outrage for values that really matter to us.

I do very much dislike being bossed about, though. If you want to see a IXFP's defiant side all you have to do is micro-manage them; particularly if you attempt to control, dictate or wrongly claim to know, their thoughts, feelings, opinions, needs, moral views, nature etc. It's often only when my sense of self or my individuality is threatened that I become stubbornly resistant and difficult, if not intentionally contrary. In NZ we have a term for this: "bloody-minded". ;)

Exactly :)
I'm pretty law abiding because for most things I don't see the point of resisting. There's a bit of a cost/benefit mentality. What's the chance of getting caught? How much do I dislike following the rule? Usually I don't even care enough to bother with the risk. A risk can be as 'small' as needing to interact with someone about the rule. That's normally enough to make me want to just follow it. I don't care, I don't want an argument, just leave me alone. If I inadvertently do get myself into that sort of situation it's bloody annoying. Ok ok, I'll do whatever the hell you want as long as you stop talking. Aaaahh I was having a nice little daydream and now I'm thinking about this idiocy.

However, as Southern Kross said, claims or control about me --thoughts, feelings, etc etc etc-- will at the least make me incredibly stubborn, and often cause me to start spitting out sarcastic attacks like an angry cat. It often surprises people since I'm normally so easy going.

People don't normally try to boss me around though. I think I tend to jump on it pretty quickly and tell them, in a diplomatic way of course, to fuck off. Sometimes I laugh at them if they are really annoying about it... which probably isn't the most diplomatic (but this is normally in the realm of family and diplomacy has already failed.).
(Note: I am self employed so I don't really get any work related issues.)

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, we INTJs just LOVE being told what to do and how to do it. :dry:

Mia.

I'm not really resistant to rules and authority, but then my own values tend to relatively align with the laws of my country. I think most IXFPs don't want to waste their time resisting every restriction or demand on us; we're actually pretty go-with-the-flow about most things, saving our outrage for values that really matter to us.

Yes.

I do very much dislike being bossed about, though. If you want to see a IXFP's defiant side all you have to do is micro-manage them; particularly if you attempt to control, dictate or wrongly claim to know, their thoughts, feelings, opinions, needs, moral views, nature etc. It's often only when my sense of self or my individuality is threatened that I become stubbornly resistant and difficult, if not intentionally contrary.

Yes. This is where my INFJ 136 mother and I went round and round when I was growing up, and where my ESTJ 613 husband and I go round and round now. :alttongue: I used to internalize it, mull over the implications, and let it mess with me to my detriment. Now, years later, it's one of the few things in this world that will actually annoy me, although it is usually a quiet and dispassionately stated annoyance. Although I have areas I need to grow in, I am not a "fixer-upper" in need of remodeling by another person. I tend to resist attempts at control in any way - especially someone I don't fully trust. If it is someone I trust however, I will become very open to input, and will actually voluntarily place myself under their advisement.

Jaguar

What person likes being told what to do, regardless of the tone of voice?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes I have problems with people speaking to me in an authoritarian tone of voice, especially. I tend to flee any kind of external hampering upon myself, for example in high school if I was having a bad day, Id just walk off campus alone. Not to party or whatever, just to go do things unstructured on my own, wander around, eat breakfast, etc.

I had a problem with driving too fast in my late teens and early twenties.

I do not like schedules or working for rigid people either. My senior year my French teacher named what she thought her seniors would be doing in future, and she surprised me by saying she thought Id be an entrepreneur. In fact, for much of my life Ive either been an independent contractor, or worked at places with flexible schedules, so she wasn't terribly off so far.

Im also a counterphobic 6 though.

That being said, I tend to be law abiding as long as I see the social good in it, and it doesn't seem unfair.

I tend to just ignore what I dont want to obey, rather than being any kind of harmful social deviant, which Ive never approved of.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The person who's directly asking to be told what to do.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As I said, "being told what to do in an authoritarian tone of voice."

I'm looking for clues as to the meaning of "controlling, micro-managing Te type" in the inferior mode, with regard to how "I did it my way" Fi-dom relates to it.
I do think there can be an sensitivity to Te style control but it is under specific circumstances. I'm usually perfectly OK with being a indian rather than a chief if it helps get things done with some efficiency. I'm not all that interested in power and control over others or how things get done, and if someone is taking charge and doing a good job, I'm fine with that. I think you'll find with IXFPs that we don't really care enough about most details of the hows and whys of everyday tasks to want to rebel and resist against them. But there are instances, even seemingly small ones, where controls or instruction gets under my skin. I will give you an example:

At my last job, I started working on a website for my boss (an ENFP) and was really enjoying it because of all these ideas I had for it. My boss typically gives me a lot of leeway and we tend to discuss creative decisions as equals, as well as having a very relaxed work environment overall. I began working on a background image I really wanted to use, but because the image was flattened by the previous graphic designer, I had to spend ages photoshopping pieces out of it to make it look how I wanted. Eventually my boss told me it was taking too long (although I wasn't getting paid by the hour and was doing some of it after work) and that I should do a different background. I didn't get this because it was my own time and couldn't see the harm in me doing it. He went on to tell me the reasons why it wouldn't be a good background and why another would be better. I explained why I disagreed, and the discussion became increasingly tense, and I became more and more stubborn and pissed off. Eventually he became very angry and I was told in no uncertain terms that I had to stop working on it and use the one he wanted. Afterwards I wondered why this argument had happened and why I felt so angry about it. It was because he had tried to change my opinion as to what was the right creative choice. Within the bounds of work environment he had set, I felt I was within my rights to defend my opinion - yet his behaviour implied that I was free to an opinion, as long as it matched his. The thing is, if he had just told me Te-style to do it a particular way, I would have got on with it, without ceremony. I might have been disappointed but would have accepted his decision. It was when he tried to convince me that I was wrong in order to get me to change tack, that we ran into problems.

True. But I admit that I often will perceive instruction as authoritarian more readily than others. I don't even like sat navs because I hate how they try to tell me where to go and what to do; I feel like they're impinging on my free will. :D

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My Fi mom hates people who are really bossy and controlling, like a lot of Te users, the exact opposite of Fi, explaining why they hate authority in some ways, although they will generally try to get along, even if they disagree, so they are not the ultimate rebels.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My Fi mom hates people who are really bossy and controlling, like a lot of Te users, the exact opposite of Fi, explaining why they hate authority in some ways, although they will generally try to get along, even if they disagree, so they are not the ultimate rebels.

No, but which type is? An ESTP might try to beat up a cop, I suppose.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

There are people who really like getting advice. But as far as people who genuinely like being told in no uncertain terms that they must do this . . . eh, no, can't think of any.