• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INxPs, how does your tertiary Si manifest?

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The title is pretty self-explanatory. I've always had a hard time connecting with and understanding the Sensing functions, and in ways have felt more comfortable with my inferior function, Te. I'd like some examples of how INFPs and INTPs use their tertiary Si.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nostalgia. That's the strongest use for me. I can be nostalgic about things that happened earlier in the day!

Also, it's lots of fun to play thousands of songs in my head, and compare the taste of what I'm eating now to what I've had in the past.

I even see the usefulness of tradition now. A continuity of experience that bonds people and society together.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aye, nostalgia is a great stress reliever too.

But also, and perhaps even more strongly for me, daydreaming. Not to be confused with crunching thoughts and ideas, but just letting go of it all and fall into a world of wonder and fantasy. It's more Si+Fe. But Si is definately an important process in it, but more subtle.

R

Riva

I've always had a hard time connecting with and understanding the Sensing functions

Ne + Si could lead to good perceptive skills. Si could (since it is good at recollection) recall information and Ne makes connections. So when trying to understand someone the recollection of information gathered of others could be connected with Ne and..... goes on.

Last edited:

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's on the introverted locus of attention, so Si should really be subtly conscious aid to Ti.

teleforce

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i never really understood cognitive functions that much, but maybe Si manifests for me in my tendency to organize lots of bits of information within collections of things. i used to be very meticulous about keeping up my music library, for instance, and for years it was very, very organized, to the point where i had all the correct names and dates and composers and album art all put in (itunes). that seems notable, but idk if that's Si. my interest in music has always been tied into my understanding of history and culture.

uh, i can just research this stuff now.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree with nostalgia and also accumulating and reviewing keepsakes to remind me of places, people and times.

i never really understood cognitive functions that much, but maybe Si manifests for me in my tendency to organize lots of bits of information within collections of things. i used to be very meticulous about keeping up my music library, for instance, and for years it was very, very organized, to the point where i had all the correct names and dates and composers and album art all put in (itunes). that seems notable, but idk if that's Si. my interest in music has always been tied into my understanding of history and culture.

This is so me! :laugh:

I just love organising my books/music/movies both physically and online or in computer filing. I can fiddle with that crap for hours on end.

Also it's in my thirst for knowledge, more particularly, to build up my knowledge base. I want to improve my vocabulary, my skill set, my general knowledge of every subject and memorise basic facts. I just want to know everything about everything. I used to love just looking at world maps (well, I still do) and getting a sense of where a country is, how big it is, what the capital and other cities are, what is the topography etc. I find that sort of thing strangely soothing. Also I like going to pub quizzes and testing all that knowledge, and perhaps showing off a little (that's more because I'm a pathetic 4w5, though). :blush:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ne + Si could lead to good perceptive skills. Si could (since it is good at recollection) recalls information and Ne makes connections. So when trying to understand someone the recollection of information gathered of others could be connected with Ne and..... goes on.

Sounds alot like my thought process.

Oh same here, especially about the music library. I've compiled databases for other areas of interest as well. At one time, I had made a database of books I've read but I've since abandoned it.

I agree with nostalgia and also accumulating and reviewing keepsakes to remind me of places, people and times.

This is so me! :laugh:

I just love organising my books/music/movies both physically and online or in computer filing. I can fiddle with that crap for hours on end.

Also it's in my thirst for knowledge, more particularly, to build up my knowledge base. I want to improve my vocabulary, my skill set, my general knowledge of every subject and memorise basic facts. I just want to know everything about everything. I used to love just looking at world maps (well, I still do) and getting a sense of where a country is, how big it is, what the capital and other cities are, what is the topography etc. I find that sort of thing strangely soothing. Also I like going to pub quizzes and testing all that knowledge, and perhaps showing off a little (that's more because I'm a pathetic 4w5, though). :blush:

I've always loved maps too, ever since I was a young child. I remember a 'hobby' of mine as a child was to make my own maps of things and try to draw it to scale as best as I could. I would do this with my house, my school, etc.

I also have a good memory of past events and can be nostalgic about certain things. Sometimes I can remember certain details or feelings associated with the event if it had a particular impact on me. Sometimes people are impressed by the little things I can remember from years ago.

On the minus side, the Si also has a hit-or-miss quality to it. I can be very attentive to certain details but very ignorant of certain others. If a detail isn't of interest or use to me, it won't likely register. Sometimes this can be embarrasing. I work in a library and I get people asking me where certain supplies are located like the pencil sharpener. I don't have much use for a pencil sharpener since I mostly type on the computer or write with a pen so it wasn't a priority for me to learn where it was. I've probably passed by the pencil sharpener hundreds of times but it never really registered in my brain. I think my customers looked at me funny like how could you be working here all this time and not know if you have a pencil sharpener, let alone where its located?

Another side of my Si is the physical sensations I feel in my body. I'm not so good at describing a process to others unless I start physically demonstrating it to the other person. There's something about the muscle memory that can't always be put well into words. I will also get strong physical sensations that tell me when I'm hungry, full, tired, have to go to the bathroom, etc. As I've developed my Si, I've become far more aware of these sensations and the subtleties of them. When younger, I don't think I was quite as acutely aware unless I was in obvious pain, extremely tired, etc. For example as a kid and even as a teenager, I would brush my teeth because my parents insisted on it and because I didn't want to my teeth to decay, yet I never knew the sensation of feeling like my teeth are scuzzy and in great need of brushing. That sort of awareness didn't come until I was a young adult. There are other things as well.

Physically, I can be aware but I can also be oblivious to other things. Certain physical activities would take me longer to learn than most others. I had difficulty with things like riding a bike and learning dance moves. Riding a bike is about balance and just getting the feel or it and knowing how hard or gentle to pedal. It isn't one of those things that's easily quantifiable or put into words. You just have to physically do it. I never felt fully comfortable with just getting the feel of something. My dominant Ti wanted more precision.

That's probably more than you wanted to know. Are these quirks common with other tertiary Si types, especially INTPs? Or is it just me?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Another side of my Si is the physical sensations I feel in my body. I'm not so good at describing a process to others unless I start physically demonstrating it to the other person. There's something about the muscle memory that can't always be put well into words. I will also get strong physical sensations that tell me when I'm hungry, full, tired, have to go to the bathroom, etc. As I've developed my Si, I've become far more aware of these sensations and the subtleties of them. When younger, I don't think I was quite as acutely aware unless I was in obvious pain, extremely tired, etc. For example as a kid and even as a teenager, I would brush my teeth because my parents insisted on it and because I didn't want to my teeth to decay, yet I never knew the sensation of feeling like my teeth are scuzzy and in great need of brushing. That sort of awareness didn't come until I was a young adult. There are other things as well.

Physically, I can be aware but I can also be oblivious to other things. Certain physical activities would take me longer to learn than most others. I had difficulty with things like riding a bike and learning dance moves. Riding a bike is about balance and just getting the feel or it and knowing how hard or gentle to pedal. It isn't one of those things that's easily quantifiable or put into words. You just have to physically do it. I never felt fully comfortable with just getting the feel of something. My dominant Ti wanted more precision.

That's probably more than you wanted to know. Are these quirks common with other tertiary Si types, especially INTPs? Or is it just me?
I think I know what you mean. I often have to consciously consult myself as to whether I need or want something. Every time someone asks if I want a cup of tea for example, I have to stop and really ponder for a good few seconds whether I do - even then I often end up saying yes or no before I really work it out, because I'm making people wait. I also will sometimes will be oblivious to the fact that I'm feeling tired or too hot or that I have a headache, and then when I realise it, I'm suddenly aware that I've actually been feeling that way for a while.

I also will do physical tasks I am very familiar with, on complete auto-pilot, and sometimes couldn't tell people the most basic steps, because I have to physically go through the motions to work it out - like if some component was on the left or right side, or what colour something was; the memory of it becomes all foggy. And the only way for me to learn complex tasks is to be drilled in it, until an unconscious instinctual pattern develops. I realise how much I rely on instinctual patterning when I walk into the garage and open the freezer and become confused, realising I really came to get a couple pieces of firewood. The reason being is that there are patterns of where I go and what I do, when I typically walk into the garage with the intention to get something. I'm so reliant on auto-pilot thinking to help me get through tasks, and I have no realisation of it until I end up in the wrong place and all confused about why I'm there.

So I suppose you might say better Si usage (like SFJs) would make you more conscious of what you want, what you are doing and why you are doing it. There is more of a clear through line to what Si doms and aux do; the dots are all joined.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Databases, DATABASES!!

Just the thought of everything organized categorically to their most obscure and inconsequential detail makes me all giddy.

And the only way for me to learn complex tasks is to be drilled in it, until an unconscious instinctual pattern develops.

I definitely agree. For me, it manifested into my study habits. Instead of trying to synthesize it right away, I always preferred memorizing everything, point by point, until it was all stored in my head, ready to be recalled at a moment's notice. It was then that I tried to synthesize the information, since I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so without knowing everything first.

Unfortunately, unless I sat down for six or seven hours nonstop, it never happened, being the lazy ass that I am. So it was a pretty inefficient process, all things considered. D;

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I do a lot of the stuff mentioned. Nostolgia, daydreaming. I go on random binges where I meticulously alphabetize books or movies or clean my iTunes for hours at a time, like people have said.

Another example, whenever I go to the TVTropes website it's like a goddamn Si party. I like making lists of silly but similar things not unlike what they do at TVTropes, or comparing people I know or me and my friends group dynamics to characters/dynamics from books, shows or movies.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always struggled with figuring out what is what function... Si especially.

I can be nostalgic about things that happened earlier in the day!

Also, it's lots of fun to play thousands of songs in my head, and compare the taste of what I'm eating now to what I've had in the past.

I even see the usefulness of tradition now. A continuity of experience that bonds people and society together.

Nostalgia, definitely. Comparing flavors, music; yes.
My family was always big on tradition, and I really liked it as a kid. Evoked a strong emotional response. It's something I want to continue with my son, to a degree.
My husband (INTP) doesn't get the emotional side so much, is a bit like you said, he can appreciate its purpose.

But also, and perhaps even more strongly for me, daydreaming. Not to be confused with crunching thoughts and ideas, but just letting go of it all and fall into a world of wonder and fantasy.

Daydreaming is Si? Is it certain types of daydreaming?

i never really understood cognitive functions that much, but maybe Si manifests for me in my tendency to organize lots of bits of information within collections of things

Oh same here, especially about the music library. I've compiled databases for other areas of interest as well. At one time, I had made a database of books I've read but I've since abandoned it.

:D Sometimes organizing makes me very happy. I've always thought of this as more Te, is it actually Si?
It comes in bursts, suddenly I'll have an impulse to organize something and spend hours madly focused. Probably stop when I realize I have a pounding headache and it's actually 3am. I'm not very good at keeping things organized though...

Also it's in my thirst for knowledge, more particularly, to build up my knowledge base. I want to improve my vocabulary, my skill set, my general knowledge of every subject and memorise basic facts.
I definitely get this... I don't necessarily even have an interest in the specific piece of knowledge, I just want to know everything. It can be irritating. Sometimes I get into these loops of cramming facts into my brain, it can feel out of control and I don't really enjoy it. Almost feels compulsive. I am much happier when I let my mind relax and flow, exploring thoughts and making connections. Writing is very helpful. Sometimes wikipedia can be the devil.

On the minus side, the Si also has a hit-or-miss quality to it. I can be very attentive to certain details but very ignorant of certain others. If a detail isn't of interest or use to me, it won't likely register. Sometimes this can be embarrasing.

I can never remember people's names. As soon as they say it, it's gone. Do I even hear it in the first place? If I remember to focus and make conscious note when they say their name, I can remember without trouble. But normally I forget to do this... it can get very awkward.
I can never remember where the car is parked. Get lost in ridiculous places. Where things are located in the supermarket, where I set my book. When people call, they seem to expect I will know who they are by the sound of their voice. It's fine as long as I have their number in my phone. Before this, I would always be slightly terrified to answer the phone. :laugh:
I've gone through entire conversations where I didn't have a clue who I was talking to...

In general though, I have a really good memory. Actually much better than most people I know.
When I was a kid I used to hide this, it made me very self conscious.
Things people said, whole conversations, past events, very specific details. I was always really good at board games and card games as a kid. Would beat the adults. Then people began expecting me to win. It made me hate the games and I refused to play.

I think I know what you mean. I often have to consciously consult myself as to whether I need or want something. Every time someone asks if I want a cup of tea for example, I have to stop and really ponder for a good few seconds whether I do - even then I often end up saying yes or no before I really work it out, because I'm making people wait. I also will sometimes will be oblivious to the fact that I'm feeling tired or too hot or that I have a headache, and then when I realise it, I'm suddenly aware that I've actually been feeling that way for a while.
Sometimes I really dread that moment when going in for a brief visit and someone asks if you want a cup of tea. I normally end up hesitating, and after a moment feel I can't say no, because then they'll start insisting and I'll be too uncertain of my position so I'll probably awkwardly cave. By this time I will realize I actually don't want any tea, but now it's too late. Then they'll want to know what type. And I won't even like the ones they have. So I point to a random one, thinking I'm going to have to drink it because it'd be rude to leave it untouched. All the while my INTP is sending me ESP glares because he's now been cornered into rugby discussion and is being served instant coffee, which he's pretending he doesn't mind.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Daydreaming is Si? Is it certain types of daydreaming?

Nah daydreams in general are not Si, but Ne. It's just that sometimes I deliberatly just start to daydream (instead of the normal daydreams that just happen.) and use Si to create a daydream that allows me to really wind down. Instead of going with the flow in my daydream, forcing my daydream to go a certain way.

It's how I go to sleep most times.

Burger King

These are very good examples of how Si manifests at the tertiary. If there is any doubt about your INXPness, then this thread can definitely help clear things up.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah daydreams in general are not Si, but Ne. It's just that sometimes I deliberatly just start to daydream (instead of the normal daydreams that just happen.) and use Si to create a daydream that allows me to really wind down. Instead of going with the flow in my daydream, forcing my daydream to go a certain way.

It's how I go to sleep most times.

Oh ok, I do this too, especially when going to sleep. The only problem is I always fall asleep too quickly! When I was designing my house I used to lay in bed at night and visualize the entire thing, walking through it, seeing how all the proportions felt, the way the light fell through the windows, the different layouts of furniture, the movement between spaces. It was this sort of daydreamy place where it felt real.
Now I do this with the story I'm writing, choose a new scene to enter and explore before going to sleep.
The process, particularly when I'm laying in bed, is very useful. I'm normally discerning about what that time gets used for, it feels too valuable to waste.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh ok, I do this too, especially when going to sleep. The only problem is I always fall asleep too quickly! When I was designing my house I used to lay in bed at night and visualize the entire thing, walking through it, seeing how all the proportions felt, the way the light fell through the windows, the different layouts of furniture, the movement between spaces. It was this sort of daydreamy place where it felt real.
Now I do this with the story I'm writing, choose a new scene to enter and explore before going to sleep.
The process, particularly when I'm laying in bed, is very useful. I'm normally discerning about what that time gets used for, it feels too valuable to waste.

Yes. Those are Si dreams!

As for falling asleep too soon, not all is lost!

I once had the strangest thing happen to me, was like 10 years ago, anyway, I was working on fixing bugs on a computer game. And there was this one bug in particular I just couldn't wrap my head around, so I started thinking on methods on how to avoid or circumvent the bug. As I went to bed thinking about it, I eventually fell asleep. Then in the morning (was still living at home then) my mother woke me up rather early. And I popped out of bed and was like "eureka!" rushed to my PC because I just figured out the best way to counter the bug. It was pretty funny because to my mom I was mumbling utter nonesense and still half asleep too. She was like "wtf?".

I can't recall having figured it out before I went to sleep, I must have kept dreaming about it whilest I was asleep, and actually managed to come to a conclusion during that time!

The bug was circumvented, the idea worked!

How cool is that.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. Those are Si dreams!

As for falling asleep too soon, not all is lost!

I once had the strangest thing happen to me, was like 10 years ago, anyway, I was working on fixing bugs on a computer game. And there was this one bug in particular I just couldn't wrap my head around, so I started thinking on methods on how to avoid or circumvent the bug. As I went to bed thinking about it, I eventually fell asleep. Then in the morning (was still living at home then) my mother woke me up rather early. And I popped out of bed and was like "eureka!" rushed to my PC because I just figured out the best way to counter the bug. It was pretty funny because to my mom I was mumbling utter nonesense and still half asleep too. She was like "wtf?".

I can't recall having figured it out before I went to sleep, I must have kept dreaming about it whilest I was asleep, and actually managed to come to a conclusion during that time!

How cool is that.

I've had similar things happen, I think. When I'm working on a design or story and can't figure something out. Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night or in the morning with a fully formed understanding of how it all works. It's like the entire thing just unfolds before my eyes... All the tangles I was struggling with aren't disparate pieces at all, but part of a complex knot that, with one tug on just the right thread, unravel with stunning simplicity. From chaos to harmony, such a lovely feeling.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Si doesn't sleep. :D

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The title is pretty self-explanatory. I've always had a hard time connecting with and understanding the Sensing functions, and in ways have felt more comfortable with my inferior function, Te. I'd like some examples of how INFPs and INTPs use their tertiary Si.

Nostalgia!

I know exactly what you mean. :yes:

I've always loved maps too, ever since I was a young child. I remember a 'hobby' of mine as a child was to make my own maps of things and try to draw it to scale as best as I could. I would do this with my house, my school, etc.

I also have a good memory of past events and can be nostalgic about certain things. Sometimes I can remember certain details or feelings associated with the event if it had a particular impact on me. Sometimes people are impressed by the little things I can remember from years ago.

On the minus side, the Si also has a hit-or-miss quality to it. I can be very attentive to certain details but very ignorant of certain others. If a detail isn't of interest or use to me, it won't likely register. Sometimes this can be embarrasing.

I relate to all of this!

I work in a library and I get people asking me where certain supplies are located like the pencil sharpener. I don't have much use for a pencil sharpener since I mostly type on the computer or write with a pen so it wasn't a priority for me to learn where it was. I've probably passed by the pencil sharpener hundreds of times but it never really registered in my brain. I think my customers looked at me funny like how could you be working here all this time and not know if you have a pencil sharpener, let alone where its located?

Yes! I do the same type of things ALL the time! It's kind of frustrating, because people who don't do this don't understand how you could miss something like that (e.g. my ESTJ father).

So that's INxP thing to do, huh? :D

Another side of my Si is the physical sensations I feel in my body. I'm not so good at describing a process to others unless I start physically demonstrating it to the other person. There's something about the muscle memory that can't always be put well into words. I will also get strong physical sensations that tell me when I'm hungry, full, tired, have to go to the bathroom, etc.

I totally get what you mean. Whenever I try to describe something like that to other people, I usually end up mumbling and they get impatient/frustrated with me, and then I just try to show them physically.

Physically, I can be aware but I can also be oblivious to other things. Certain physical activities would take me longer to learn than most others. I had difficulty with things like riding a bike and learning dance moves. Riding a bike is about balance and just getting the feel or it and knowing how hard or gentle to pedal. It isn't one of those things that's easily quantifiable or put into words. You just have to physically do it. I never felt fully comfortable with just getting the feel of something.

:yes:

I also will do physical tasks I am very familiar with, on complete auto-pilot, and sometimes couldn't tell people the most basic steps, because I have to physically go through the motions to work it out - like if some component was on the left or right side, or what colour something was; the memory of it becomes all foggy. And the only way for me to learn complex tasks is to be drilled in it, until an unconscious instinctual pattern develops. I realise how much I rely on instinctual patterning when I walk into the garage and open the freezer and become confused, realising I really came to get a couple pieces of firewood. The reason being is that there are patterns of where I go and what I do, when I typically walk into the garage with the intention to get something. I'm so reliant on auto-pilot thinking to help me get through tasks, and I have no realisation of it until I end up in the wrong place and all confused about why I'm there.

Are we the same person? :laugh:

I feel such resonance with you! And not just with this post, but from multiple posts you have posted throughout the months.

Databases, DATABASES!!

Just the thought of everything organized categorically to their most obscure and inconsequential detail makes me all giddy.
I definitely agree. For me, it manifested into my study habits. Instead of trying to synthesize it right away, I always preferred memorizing everything, point by point, until it was all stored in my head, ready to be recalled at a moment's notice. It was then that I tried to synthesize the information, since I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so without knowing everything first.

Indeed.

Unfortunately, unless I sat down for six or seven hours nonstop, it never happened, being the lazy ass that I am. So it was a pretty inefficient process, all things considered. D;

Pretty much. :laugh:

:D Sometimes organizing makes me very happy. I've always thought of this as more Te, is it actually Si?
It comes in bursts, suddenly I'll have an impulse to organize something and spend hours madly focused. Probably stop when I realize I have a pounding headache and it's actually 3am. I'm not very good at keeping things organized though...

I definitely get this... I don't necessarily even have an interest in the specific piece of knowledge, I just want to know everything. It can be irritating. Sometimes I get into these loops of cramming facts into my brain, it can feel out of control and I don't really enjoy it. Almost feels compulsive. I am much happier when I let my mind relax and flow, exploring thoughts and making connections. Writing is very helpful. Sometimes wikipedia can be the devil.

I know that feel. It's quite frustrating.

Sometimes I really dread that moment when going in for a brief visit and someone asks if you want a cup of tea. I normally end up hesitating, and after a moment feel I can't say no, because then they'll start insisting and I'll be too uncertain of my position so I'll probably awkwardly cave. By this time I will realize I actually don't want any tea, but now it's too late. Then they'll want to know what type. And I won't even like the ones they have. So I point to a random one, thinking I'm going to have to drink it because it'd be rude to leave it untouched.

Wow, I'm not the only one who does this? Now I don't feel so odd. :laugh:

Though I'm no architect, I do similar things all the time.

How cool is that.

I've done similar things before. I'll be thinking about it in my dream, come up with a/the solution, and realize that I'm in a dream and wake myself up to go do it in the middle of the night. It's a nice feeling.

I've had similar things happen, I think. When I'm working on a design or story and can't figure something out. Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night or in the morning with a fully formed understanding of how it all works. It's like the entire thing just unfolds before my eyes... All the tangles I was struggling with aren't disparate pieces at all, but part of a complex knot that, with one tug on just the right thread, unravel with stunning simplicity. From chaos to harmony, such a lovely feeling.

Indeed.

God, after reading all this, I feel less doubtful about me being an INFP, because I related to all of this so much!