• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elfboy's Fi vs Fe test

R

Riva

1) A
2) A
3) B
But then again I probably hide it. It shows when I am thinking though. People always ask me what I am thinking. Does that count as a yes?
4) A
5) A
6) A
7) B
8) B
9) Used to be (A) but now it is (B).

Fe - (5)
Fi - (3)
Undecided - (1)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
5/4. Get rid of the heart/gut question, and it's 4/4. So, uh...

I agree I think it's a great test, I just hate the gut/heart question. That question has to go. It made zero sense to me.

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
1) my feelings are easy to describe in words (conversationally, not in writing)
a) often
b) not often, but more so in writing

virtually never, even when they are overwhelming. sometimes i'm better at describing them in writing, other times not, but even when i find an apt written definition for them, it comes only after i have spent a considerable time reflecting and filtering a huge stream of verbal junk and random thoughts. so definitely b).

2) I empathize with people by
a) taking on their feelings as my own
b) thinking about how I would feel in that situation or drawing from experience of how I've felt in that situation in the past

if a) is about having an instinctive and immediate sense of what people feel, whether through nonverbal cues or some other means, then i suppose i am more a). i do tend to sense others' emotions directly and they can cause pain on an almost physical level. but sometimes this fails and i use b) to fill in the gaps. i've also become increasingly wary of making hasty judgments about other people and what they may be feeling - these can be correct 95 percent of the time, but the remaining five percent can be horribly wrong and one may have to pay too high a price for this - so i've been making a conscious effort to use the second option more.

i don't think these two modes of understanding others' feelings can be separated - one informs the other, and i think most of us use both in a varying proportion. even those who lean heavily toward one probably still supplement it with the other from time to time.

i was wondering whether this may be more about N vs. S than Fi vs. Fe. N would imply being guided by one's instinctive sense of another person's internal state, which is usually based on nonverbal cues or unconscious knowledge of prior interaction (which is exactly what gives one the impression of direct empathy); S would imply relying on what one knows to be a fact, and drawing conclusions from that.

besides - why does the OP mention that option b) would be more indicative of Fi usage? from what i've read so far on this forum and others, many INFPs seem to have a fairly direct, immediate sense of others' emotions, which tends to come without much conscious thought. it would seem that at least for someone who is Fi-Ne or Ne-Fi, this is likely to be a much more raw, direct experience which may or may not receive much "processing" afterward. not sure how it would work for Fi-Se or Se-Fi, or whether a Fe-Ni/Ni-Fe user would experience it in a similar manner.

3) my emotions show a lot on my face
a) YES!
b) not usually

more leaning toward b), but it depends. i've been told that i have a flat expression most of the time and can look distant, even close to catatonic, and/or there is a distinct impression that a dark cloud is hanging over my head, other than that it is difficult to tell. but then it depends - my expression can become very vivid if something invigorates me, e.g. if i'm discussing a topic i am enthusiastic about or there has been a sudden flare of emotion between me and the person i an speaking to.

i'm not 100 percent sure how precisely this would relate to Fi vs. Fe. there appear to be contradictory opinions regarding this - some say that Fi users tend to be more animated because they believe in free, authentic expression, are not afraid that their feelings will disturb others, and do not contain them on purpose; others say that it is the Fe users who are more animated, because expression of emotion through body language is part of small talk and general social interaction, even on the most superficial level, and some Fe-doms tend to either exaggerate existing emotions or look as though they feel a lot even when they do not. so i'm uncertain which of these two options is supposed to be "more Fi" or "more Fe".

4) I am good at tailoring my behaviors and demeanor to various social situations
a) yes, unless I am with a really mean spirited group of people
b) no

undecided, but much more b) than a). as a friend said the other day, my sense of tact varies from one occasion to the other. i don't have a good instinctive sense of what is or is not to be done in a specific social situation - i can become lost because my mind has gone blank and i am unsure what i should say, and i can be blunt and offend without intending to do so. on the other hand, i can be reasonably tactful (when talking to someone in a formal context, i consciously try to evade anything that might cause conflict and use stock conversational strategies or phrases if i have to - i do have enough social experience for this) and i've been told that i have a noticeable polite/compromising streak and seem to be doing my best to adapt to other people and their needs. in a sense, i think this can also show my lack of social skills, in that i sometimes don't know when to defer or to apologize, so i do it anyway, rather than risking error in the opposite direction. at least one of my friends is extremely irritated by this and thinks i apologize far too much and don't know the genuine meaning of the word "sorry".

5) I place higher priority in
a) unity, team work, external harmony
b) self expression, internal harmony

b). but then i think that, if all is well with regard to b), a) will sort itself out automatically. the two are inseparable.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

not sure what this is supposed to mean. if this question is about emotion that is more understandable and describable, but more "tame", as opposed to emotion that is more instinctive and eludes definition, but also more overpowering and/or having the potential to cause meltdowns, then i am certainly b).

i don't know whether this is connected to Fi vs. Fe. many NTPs seem to describe emotions that are more similar to mine (i am not entirely sure i am INFP myself), but they use Fe, not Fi. it seems to be more a question of general function alignment (e.g. being thinking-dominant as opposed to feeling-dominant) or individual emotional organization (e.g. differences in the ways each person experiences their emotions, possible issues such as depression or alexithymia and many other factors) and not using extroverted or introverted feeling.

if this question is about something else, i don't know how i am supposed to answer.

7) I care more about
a) how a decision will effect people's feelings and well being
b) the principle of the matter.

there is an internal contradiction in this. i guess i could say i put my principles first, but if these principles could be summarized in one phrase, it would be "never place the dead/abstract principle over the living/tangible person". so there.

also, there are situations where one's decision can hurt a person's feelings in the short term, but would be beneficial for them in the long term, or vice versa (one of the more obvious examples would be choosing to enable someone who has an issue - is an alcoholic, substance-addicted, codependent/lives off someone else while being more than capable of supporting him- or herself, etc. - to continue in the same manner, or at least to refuse to support their addiction or irresponsible lifestyle). in any of them, i would prefer not to please the person's immediate feelings if this may help avoid much more serious consequences, even if this places our relationship at risk.

one of the previous posters said that "feelings" matter little whereas "overall well-being" matters everything, and i would agree.

8) the external world has a strong impact on my feelings
a) yes. I am adaptable, but also easily effected
b) no, though I tend to gravitate toward places with a similar vibe to how I already feel

yes and no. i "blot out" my surroundings for extended periods of time, but i can't say they don't affect me. at certain moments, i am probably hypersensitive to my environment - random small occurrences or sensory detail can set me off in ways others may find difficult to understand, if i'm in the right (wrong) mood or there is a random association that connects them to someone else i had felt before. and i am certainly receptive to physical beauty, for instance, in art or nature.

perhaps it is more b) than a), but i honestly wouldn't be able to decide.

9) my beliefs come more from
a) how I was raised, community values, how things effect people
b) myself. even from a young age, I've always had strong views that sometimes differed from what I was taught. I can't really explain it, they were just "there"

i would say it is more b), but this is an oversimplification. i suppose to do have an internal compass that may tell me something is wrong even when it is commonly accepted, or right even if it is rejected by the mainstream (which is probably what Fi is about), but i can't say that my beliefs are "just there". i think i have always tried to contrast what my parents told me or what other people believed in in against this sense of right/wrong to determine which of these ideas i can adopt. this is a conscious and sometimes arduous process. if this is Fi, it has nothing to do with beliefs simply "being there", at least not for me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I answered b on most, but Ive gotten at 4 and 7 A with life experience. Actually though number 4 depends more on my feeling of self preservation and learned rules which make life easier, which is probably actually Te, and my motive on 7 is specifically for people I care about.

However older Fi dom/auxiliary can get better at Fe shadow sometimes. Either that or its a manifestation of Fi working together with Te "what works" practicality or learned external rules which have tangible consequences .

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, I take it back. I suppose I read it that way because, being aware of your views, I imagined how you wrote it.

I definitely have a higher opinion of Fi than Fe, but I made an effort to prevent that from affecting the test

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi users in the perspective of Fe users: selfish, mood spoiler and unwilling to accommodate others.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
a) often

b) thinking about how I would feel in that situation or drawing from experience of how I've felt in that situation in the past

a) YES!
b) not usually

4) I am good at tailoring my behaviors and demeanor to various social situations
Sort of. The outcome usually isn't worth the effort, but I think I'd make a good spy.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

7) I care more about
N/A. I care more about which is the most pragmatic route.

b) no, though I tend to gravitate toward places with a similar vibe to how I already feel

N/A. A is too conformist, B is too subjective.

Last edited:

Nicki

Retired
a) often

a) YES!
b) not usually

b) no

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

7) I care more about

b) myself. even from a young age, I've always had strong views that sometimes differed from what I was taught. I can't really explain it, they were just "there"

R

Riva

Fi users in the perspective of Fe users: selfish, mood spoiler and unwilling to accommodate others.

And the Fe users in the perspective of Fi users?

Wait that has been discussed before. Dozens of threads have been created, hundreds of members have been put to their right place.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
a) often

Neither

Both

a) YES!
b) not usually

A, though sometimes my face displays inaccruate emotions

b) no

A

is other people's internal harmony still internal harmony? Eh, still dont know how to answer this one.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

B

7) I care more about

I switch between the two a lot.

A

Both and sometimes neither.

3 A, 1 B, 5 mystery. Would have me as Fe but mostly feeling-undifferentiated, which is basically my case.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
a) often

a) YES!
b) not usually--I try to hide them. Not sure if I'm successful

b) no

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

?

7) I care more about

This encroaches on my T-ness, I think

4 B, 4 A

Hmm

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And the Fe users in the perspective of Fi users?

Wait that has been discussed before. Dozens of threads have been created, hundreds of members have been put to their right place.

Way to go to necro a thread that's 7 months old.

G

Glycerine

The last time I took it, I had more of a Fi result because Fe users have individual values that aren't necessarily tied to the collective group. :D I never really saw Fe as necessarily being focused on the group but moreso on "other people".

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
my feelings are easy to describe in words (conversationally, not in writing)
a) often

B

B

a) YES!
b) not usually

Neither is more applicable than the other.

b) no

Neither.

Neither.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

Neither.

7) I care more about

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great idea! I was thinking of doing the same thing. When I finish my research and come up with my own questions, we should collaborate and create a new quiz for the public (which unlike the quizzes out there will be extremely accurate!). Maybe other people can help.

a) often Once I identify what they are. That's the tricky bit. Actually, the way I identify them is to talk to myself.

a) YES!
b) not usually

a) yes, unless I am with a really mean spirited group of people I'm ok at being mean spirited too.
b) no

But I have to say I'm thinking of specific instances in which if the two were in conflict, I'd choose the second one. If it is a question of decision making, I'd probably choose a.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut
Uh...both? And my head. They're changes in energy.

7) I care more about
Can't decide.

I also can see a distinction between thinking and feeling here. Feelers are more affected period, because they are relationship seeking. Thinkers are more socially independent, and so are affected by their internal struggles with the outside world as opposed to events and people. Does this observation seem accurate from your perspective?

the balance of all things and feelings combined with what makes sense

Close, but still more Fe.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(a) often
* Mostly a. There are some that are just amorphous feelings that are hard to describe.

(a) taking on their feelings as my own
* a again, every so now and then I really think it and I can feel deep emotions.

a) YES!
b) not usually
I don't know how to answer this one, I smile a lot towards people as reciprocity often. Some people guess what emotion I'm feeling and they're often wrong, so I don't know..

(b) no
*I really like to represent that I am a distinct person in the crowd, so I could see how this is Fi related. Although at work, I try to do just with answer a.

(b) self expression, internal harmony
*Can't I say both? I do enjoy both and wish I could see more from a. Although more with b happens.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut
Again, really hard for me to answer. It's once in a great while that I feel from the heart and those are just momentous really happy feelings. I usually get most of my negative feelings from my face and gut. And my nervous feelings around my heart.

7) I care more about
(b) the principle of the matter.
*I could say b could be linked to Ti?

(a) yes. I am adaptable, but also easily effected
I must say everywhere can swim with emotion. Mostly nervousness though haha.

(b) myself. even from a young age, I've always had strong views that sometimes differed from what I was taught. I can't really explain it, they were just "there"
*Maybe because of gender norms weren't so much for me?

So for 3 a's and 4 b's? Help? :shrug:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I have enough time to think about it, I can find a distilled, focused description of it, but it is usually somewhat abstract describing the processes behind the emotions. Emotions themselves go beyond words.

a) YES!

b) no
I do it to an extent to make others feel peaceful and secure, but it drains me quickly, so I can't keep it up.

I need harmony to function, but as an introvert I spend more time alone. If external harmony is not possible, I retreat to solitude. Contentious environments make me sick quickly because I feel the pain of each individual getting attacked and not just myself. It's complete and total overload. Internal disharmony is depression and anxiety and if I can't get my mind back, I'll take medication or whatever is needed to achieve peace.

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
I guess, although, I'd say it's more a combination of empathy and internal analysis.

7) I care more about

The answer is "yes" which is the reason "b - I tend to gravitate towards places with a similar vibe".

I think it is a combination of sources, but when I see injustice in environments I've been in, then I cannot submit to acceptance of it, even when everyone around does.

more A's: Fe = 6
more B's: Fi = 5

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
a) often

a) YES!
b) not usually

b) no

6) my feelings come from
a) my heart
b) my gut

7) I care more about

more A's: Fe
more B's: Fi

PS: please feel free to point out if you believe one of the questions is biased or stereotyped.

EDIT: I took out number 3 because it sucked and renumbered them

b
b
a
a
b
idk
b
idk
b

for #s 6 and 8 i don't really view them as oppositional or see that i favor one over the other. so that's 5 for B, 2 for A, and 2 i can't answer.