• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuitives: Do you hate searching for things in your outer surroundings?

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The absolute worst for me is when I absent-mindedly set something down that's in-between places so that I don't keep walking around with it. Example: If I'm going running, I'll set my water bottle on a shelf/ledge or table, keep walking to let the dog outside, come back to go running, and forget where I'd just set my bottle. It'll sidetrack me for a minute or two, but that's with something I knew I'd JUST had. I could potentially lose something for days if I'm not paying attention. (I remember one time it took me a half-hour to find the remote control since I'd left it in the kitchen when I made lunch. I mean, wtf, why did I bring the remote into the kitchen?)

QFT because this happens way more than I would like.

V

violaine

I hate having to direct others to locate things I've placed somewhere. I always know where something is but sometimes it can be a tad embarrassing to hear the words fall from my mouth - "You know that white bag that I keep near my shoes? Well, it's in the third compartment of the backpack inside that".

This only really applies to as yet unfiled receipts. God, how I hate that kind of paper. My make-up drawer is a thing of beauty and I love organizing my clothing. But how to be taken seriously by the super-anal when you file your tax paraphernalia like dead bodies that you want to disappear? :cry:

V

violaine

I hate giving directions and I am horrible at it. Does that count?

Ooh yes. +1.

----

Also, notorious for asking how long a certain restaurant I've just noticed has been around and being told "forever". Lol.

I try to walk around and notice things now. But it's so hard to keep my mind from descending into it's own observations about the things I'm seeing and then becoming a bit of a ghost in a shell. Annoying.

Lightyear

Also, notorious for asking how long a certain restaurant I've just noticed has been around and being told "forever". Lol.

One of my favourite stories is still, that it took me 8 months to realise that there is a No Smoking sign above my flat's letter boxes (which I walked past every day and you know, took letters from).

V

violaine

One of my favourite stories is still, that it took me 8 months to realise that there is a No Smoking sign above my flat's letter boxes (which I walked past every day and you know, took letters from).

Lol! It's just scary to realize that kind of stuff. (I have a similar story about an umbrella hook outside my apartment).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't notice my physical environment much either, but I've become wayyyyy better at keeping track of my things since I went off to college. I think having an ESFJ mom was helpful as a kid because she'd always know where my stuff was. Now I've learned to develop systems of where to keep my stuff, and just adhere to those systems, even if they're not totally logical. For example, I keep my credit card in my wallet, OR the side of my bra, OR the smallest pocket of my current bag. That gives me 3 options for where to put it but makes it really easy to find if I can't remember. Same with my cell - it's in the desk at work, in my bag, on me, or plugged in the wall in my room. Only 4 places to check.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
My hypothesis coming into this thread was that NPs would be worse about this, and thus complain more.

Thus far, I'd say it's shown itself to be true.

*cue people trying to ruin it now*

It's because of their lack of Se.

I actually enjoy scanning the physical environment.

I can be like any Ntard about it, cuz I'm usually suppressing Se.

But if I need to engage Se, I can do so just fine, and don't really have this problem.

I was actually playing with switching to Ne/Si cognition last night (it's tiring, and literally hurts my brain to do it).

It's a wholly different means of perceiving, and scanning an environment for something immediately there is not something it would be good at.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My hypothesis coming into this thread was that NPs would be worse about this, and thus complain more.

Thus far, I'd say it's shown itself to be true.

*cue people trying to ruin it now*

It's because of their lack of Se.

I actually enjoy scanning the physical environment.

I can be like any Ntard about it, cuz I'm usually suppressing Se.

But if I need to engage Se, I can do so just fine, and don't really have this problem.

I was actually playing with switching to Ne/Si cognition last night (it's tiring, and literally hurts my brain to do it).

It's a wholly different means of perceiving, and scanning an environment for something immediately there is not something it would be good at.
I agree that NPs would be the most absent-minded in theory - and I have plenty of real-life experiences with other NPs to back this up.

My only problem with this theory, is that I know how ridiculously oblivious my ISTP Dad can be about his environment - to the point where he will miss crazily obvious things that are right in front of his face. However, I think this might have more to do with his narrow field of concentration; he is so focused on the one task he is pursuing that he misses other things going on around him. Whereas with NPs, we are widely scanning our environment but missing the details.

I guess we need more Sensors to give their perspectives in order to clarify this.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to lose things all the time, and when i do lose them now i have a system of finding them, i used to get upset, VERY angry actually. I dont anymore though...unless it's money lol....but my isfp bf loses things because he is just too lazy to go through the thought process or too lazy to look for the object in general....so i am not sure if he is like most sensors...I have a friend that is an ISFJ and he is rediculously meticulous about having his keys, cell phone, and chapstick with him at all time...he is almost OCD about it...he is always afraid of locking his keys in his car.

Amberamaris

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
If you forget where you put something go on beginning when you entered home and remember what you have done remote in backward it helps me, but most of time I am trying to leave object on it place.

And about searching for stuff outside of home, I can walk around whole town (here people drive but walking is more usual then for example in USA since you can get most of need in radius from 1km to 8 km I usually walk 3,5 km daily and when something is so far away I go by public transportation- I have month ticket) to find better price of product it is like hunt :)

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I very rarely lose anything, I usually have a clear idea of where exactly all my things are.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

It's very hard for me to find stuff. Sometimes I'm looking for something that's in front of me or in my hands, and I don't notice it's there. :kick me:

My mom and best friend usually mock me about it (both ISFPs). My mom has a apparently messy house, but she knows where is everything she has.
My ENTJ dad has a hard time looking for stuff too (he's mocked about that too), and he's always finding "better ways" to organize everything in our house, so he keeps changing where he puts stuff without telling me. So it's even harder for me to find stuff around here - that adding to my usual lack of awareness of my surroundings.

Frequently people want to comment with me about something that happened next to us, and I'm: "What? What happened? Where? When? What...?"

I can usually pull it off if I really try hard, but occasionally it will be something really stupid. For example, I will be tearing the house apart looking for my phone, and then I will ask my ISFJ father to help me search for it. Then, he'll be like, "You fool, you're talking on your phone right now! That's where you're phone is."

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I once used the bathroom in a Minnesota bar. Beside the toilet, there was a gigantic glowing red jukebox with flashing lights. I used the bathroom, walked past the jukebox, washed my hands and left. Later, at the table, someone made a remark about the enormous bathroom jukebox. And I replied, "What jukebox?"

Last edited:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I once used the bathroom in a Minnesota bar. Beside the toiler, there was a gigantic glowing red jukebox with flashing lights. I used the bathroom, walked past the jukebox, washed my hands and left. Later, at the table, someone made a remark about the enormous bathroom jukebox. And I replied, "What jukebox?"

That kind of stuff happens to me all the time.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Oh dear, dont get me started on this topic, like the time my dad left his glasses on someone elses head.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'll be walking down the street and telling myself: don't lose this, don't lose this, stay focused, don't lose this, it's important, then something distracts me and I end up following a chain of thoughts and imaginings, and by the time I "come to" I find the object missing. I feel like a sleepy police officer on a night shift, trying really hard not to fall asleep, and then waking up 8 hours later in front of a burning bank.

I can usually deal with it, but I feel bad when it affects my loved ones :(

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to lose stuff all the time. I don't lose stuff as often anymore because I've learned to develop systems that work for myse.f

I still have my absent minded moments though, when I'm looking for something only to find that it's right in front of me or that I'm carrying the item. :doh:

I go between the extremes of not noticing obvious stuff in front of me and noticing little miniscule details no one else cares about. I tend to pay selective attention to my surroundings. If something in my surroundings doesn't pertain to me in some way, it's as if the object doesn't exist. I've worked hard on becoming more attuned to my physical surroundings and where objects around me are located.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I can't find anything. I'll look and look and get all mad. Then I give up and ask my wife and she comes over and picks up the object in question immediately.

It was the same thing when I was a kid, only thing different is who I would ask.

I can't even get a handle on it by concentrating and taking my time. That's the frustrating thing. Basically the only way to guarantee that I will find a specific item (say like in a cabinet or something) is for me to actually pick up and hold every item in the cabinet until I find the one I want. And even then it doesn't always work.

:(

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yes, I hate it and I put it off. It's annoying to have to do. I have a phone charger cord that's been missing for quite some time, and should be trying to find it, but I just can't be bothered.

I don't have a major problem with losing stuff in the first place though.