• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP vs ENTP?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're going to run into a lot of inaccuracies by typing based on preferences. The Great One is a great example. I am convinced he is ENTP,

I'm not saying otherwise. But how exactly were you convinced?

so are many people.

I'm not easily convinced by ad populorum argument.

If we were going by the preferences we would've typed him as ENFP.

But he said he had Fe traits, such as empathy. That makes it confusing and it's not related to ENFP anyway. So the most I can say in this case is that he's an ENTP with Fe tertiary, based simply on the type he already has listed.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
from what you said before, not to mention other posts I've seen of yours, i'm pretty convinced you are an ENTP. also, i don't feel any empathy with you whatsoever, so from intuition i really believe you are an entp, rather than enfp. my intuition is rarely wrong.

ps. also, its stupid but your pic is the kind of humor i'd associate with entp.
Yes, like you said my mind isn't as bouncy as an ENFP

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
from what you said before, not to mention other posts I've seen of yours, i'm pretty convinced you are an ENTP. also, i don't feel any empathy with you whatsoever, so from intuition i really believe you are an entp, rather than enfp. my intuition is rarely wrong.

ps. also, its stupid but your pic is the kind of humor i'd associate with entp.

Yep, but also with a type 3, considering his statements about his abilities in the emotional realm. 3w2, I'd say.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION]

That's entertaining. I have ENTP humor huh?

[MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION]

So did I do the "Ti gears grinding" look that you talked about in your videos when I go to think about something?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
You're going to run into a lot of inaccuracies by typing based on preferences. The Great One is a great example. I am convinced he is ENTP, so are many people. If we were going by the preferences we would've typed him as ENFP.

Alright

I think [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is an example of the opposite. Based on preferences he would test INTJ, but based on functions he is ENFP. If you first met him there is no way that you would see him as ENFP, you really have to analyze him to see he's ENTP.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
BINGO!

I think [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is an example of the opposite. Based on preferences he would test INTJ, but based on functions he is ENFP. If you first met him there is no way that you would see him as ENFP, you really have to analyze him to see he's ENTP.
well, I really am more ENFP-ish if you meet me in person. I'm much more NTJ-ish over the phone. I have plenty of silly side to me though :laugh:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
[MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION], I really like your videos. If i could make one comment, it would be to find your own rhythm and own style. You don't need to emulate anyone else. I say this because it's hard not to assume that you were heavily influenced by this YouTube video by InuitiveTime.com:

ENFP versus ENTP = http://youtu.be/up0mk3YTQus

IntuitiveTime.com even uses the same diagram of the cognitive functions that you do. (Which, by the way, he got from Team Technology's Website. See http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/tt/t-articl/mb-dynam.htm and scroll down to the bottom third of this page to see the "mental muscle" diagrams.) See the image below for a comparison of the diagrams.

Let me repeat again that I think your videos are very good. Just don't be afraid to really make this subject matter your own.

:hug:

mbti.jpg

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
find your own rhythm and own style. You don't need to emulate anyone else. I say this because it's hard not to assume that you were heavily influenced by this YouTube video by InuitiveTime.com

I understand, thank you for the support. It's unfortunate for me that you bring this up because I feel that my style is very different from IntuitiveTime.com's style, that I bring something quite unique to the table. You seem to think differently. Also, you seem to imply that I should change my style. If my assumptions are correct, then I must say I disagree with you.

I do understand that you're trying to help me and I really appreciate that.

Last edited:

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP

So did I do the "Ti gears grinding" look that you talked about in your videos when I go to think about something?

Ha! I remember in some of the parts yes, though at the time I wasn't really thinking about it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I understand, thank you for the support. It's unfortunate for me that you bring this up because I feel that my style is very different from IntuitiveTime.com's style, that I bring something quite unique to the table. You seem to think differently. Also, you seem to imply that I should change my style. If my assumptions are correct, then I must say I disagree with you.

She is just saying that because you used that chart. That chart is almost identical to team technology. I still like your vids though and I like the new sound effects you have given your videos as well as new comedy adage as well.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION]

What on earth is Fi in the crow's nest?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
entp winnnsss

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What on earth is Fi in the crow's nest?

That's Lenore Thomson's alternate 8 function model, where the functions normally numbered 7 and 8 are the ones to fill in for the dom. and/or aux. Those functions are the same J/P attitude, and also called the brain hemisphere alternatives.

This just gives us another context “shadow” functions can be used in.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
That's Lenore Thomson's alternate 8 function model, where the functions normally numbered 7 and 8 are the ones to fill in for the dom. and/or aux. Those functions are the same J/P attitude, and also called the brain hemisphere alternatives.

This just gives us another context “shadow” functions can be used in.

It's very strange because I use Ne, Ti, and a good amount too. Wouldn't that be pretty bad for a person's psyche though?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bad for the psyche? I've heard that explained as why the functions have to be "ordered" the way they are, and why "dom/tert loops" aren't good for too long, etc. but as Beebe himself says, too much cannot be made out of the order, and as Lenore (or at least the "Exegesis wiki" on her) says, it's not really about functions being "used" like gears. (if it were something like physical gears, then "damage" could occur).

The functions are perspectives, where data is basically divided, between tangible and conceptual input (information gathering), and technical or humane output (decisions). Fi and Se are basically reflections of Ti and Ne, using the same attitudes, and same brain hemisphere, in this case, right, and bearing the P attitude. They actually bear some things in common through the P attitude (hence, why J/P was able to be made a standalone type factor). Normally, Fe and Si will reflect them, but in the opposite attitudes and hemisphere, and the J attitude.

So there is not that much of a conflict between the functions in themselves. It's in the ego structure of complexes where we prefer one, and repress the others, which then seem to conflict. However, there are different complexes, and when these are constellated, they are felt through the perspectives of the associated functions. Hence, any one of them can come up, regardless of conflicting with the preferred two.
So Lenore's theory in the book (conceived before Beebe's order was widely known) looked at it from the angle of the brain alternates being the first we run to. This still focused on the behavioral aspect of the functions, and is even evidenced in many people's cognitive process (Keys to Cognition) test results, where Beebe's #8 is often third in strength (remember, it is not about strength), and the tertiary and inferior are weakest. Later, she moved away from that, and focused on the Tertiary Defense more.

Here is a diagram that shows both models working together:
beebethomson.gif

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Bad for the psyche? I've heard that explained as why the functions have to be "ordered" the way they are, and why "dom/tert loops" aren't good for too long, etc. but as Beebe himself says, too much cannot be made out of the order, and as Lenore (or at least the "Exegesis wiki" on her) says, it's not really about functions being "used" like gears. (if it were something like physical gears, then "damage" could occur).

The functions are perspectives, where data is basically divided, between tangible and conceptual input (information gathering), and technical or humane output (decisions). Fi and Se are basically reflections of Ti and Ne, using the same attitudes, and same brain hemisphere, in this case, right, and bearing the P attitude. They actually bear some things in common through the P attitude (hence, why J/P was able to be made a standalone type factor). Normally, Fe and Si will reflect them, but in the opposite attitudes and hemisphere, and the J attitude.

So there is not that much of a conflict between the functions in themselves. It's in the ego structure of complexes where we prefer one, and repress the others, which then seem to conflict. However, there are different complexes, and when these are constellated, they are felt through the perspectives of the associated functions. Hence, any one of them can come up, regardless of conflicting with the preferred two.
So Lenore's theory in the book (conceived before Beebe's order was widely known) looked at it from the angle of the brain alternates being the first we run to. This still focused on the behavioral aspect of the functions, and is even evidenced in many people's cognitive process (Keys to Cognition) test results, where Beebe's #8 is often third in strength (remember, it is not about strength), and the tertiary and inferior are weakest. Later, she moved away from that, and focused on the Tertiary Defense more.

Here is a diagram that shows both models working together:
beebethomson.gif

Wow, that's very complicated to understand, but I think if I study it for a while, I can comprehend it. Also, did you know that I recently believe that I discovered that I am ENTP 2w3 core type. Is that even possible for an ENTP? It seems more ENFJ to me?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you look at the top semicircle, then the functions are in the standard dom/aux/tert/inf order. But if you look at the left half, you see it is a line that has been joined at both ends so that functions #7 and 8 are actually adjacent to the dom. and aux. This illustrates the "brain alternate" ("Ship Model") concept.

They have charts showing MBTI-Enneagram distribution, and I think there are examples of that. In my view of the Enneagram, I map them to temperaments rather than functions (like ENFP's are often 2, and they aren't Fe-preferring), so both 2 and 3 are part "Sanguine" in temperament (the 7 is the purest one), with 3 basically between Sanguine and Choleric; and the ENTP is the Sanguine-Choleric blend, (ENP-Sanguine; NT-Choleric), so it would make perfect sense, though ENTP's are usually 7w8 (with 8 as the purest Choleric).

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

I also believe that I could be a 6 w 7 as well. The only thing that I know for sure is that my variants are Social/sexual.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you look at the top semicircle, then the functions are in the standard dom/aux/tert/inf order. But if you look at the left half, you see it is a line that has been joined at both ends so that functions #7 and 8 are actually adjacent to the dom. and aux. This illustrates the "brain alternate" ("Ship Model") concept.

They have charts showing MBTI-Enneagram distribution, and I think there are examples of that. In my view of the Enneagram, I map them to temperaments rather than functions (like ENFP's are often 2, and they aren't Fe-preferring), so both 2 and 3 are part "Sanguine" in temperament (the 7 is the purest one), with 3 basically between Sanguine and Choleric; and the ENTP is the Sanguine-Choleric blend, (ENP-Sanguine; NT-Choleric), so it would make perfect sense, though ENTP's are usually 7w8 (with 8 as the purest Choleric).

- ENTP 7w6 is more common than ENTP 7w8 (ENTP 7w8 is still fairly common, but most 7w8s are SPs)
- most of the ENFP 2s are mistyped 7w6 and 6w7
- sorry but, 4 humors is nonsense