• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sport, country and type....

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
So I and others have mentioned this whole idea of typing a country itself. This may or may not make sense to people so firstly I'll state why I think it's relevant at all.. the interesting bit (well interesting to me at least).

Right so why is the type of your home country so important or indeed relevant at all?

Well if you are a well adjusted person who's managed to moderate the extremes of their personality then I'd say that the characteristics of the home country are only evident in the details, for example the British love of language (well english really... the other languages just haven't caught up yet ;) ). However in those who's "rough edges" remain then often the home countries type is very clear. I forget how many INTPs I've had difficulty in reconciling as INTPs because they have such strong ESTJ overtones to their words. I think that every single one bar maybe one individual (who turned out to be British and hence ISTJ... not too far from the tree) came from the states.

As for proof of the idea that countries have types.. I have only my observations.

As for proof, well a train of thinking, that Britain is ISTJ where as America is ESTJ... I have sport as my new analogy.

Soccer (I'm making this USA friendly before some brit caves my head in for using such a term) is a game played in seemingly endless leagues with individual names and side bets and subdivision. There are leagues, cups, tournaments etc etc etc Each one is distinguishable from the others (or so I'm told) and all this happens in what appears to me as a complicated orchestra of activity which doesn't stop from one year to the next (despite what some lovingly refer to as a "season" they're a bunch of lying ****s cause it never ends!!!). This complexity and the way in which rules are continually altered and adjusted each year makes me think of ISTJs. It's all so simple to them with the statistics, rules, forms and functions.

Another proof of how ISTJ Britain is would be the good old pub quiz where you can be asked any number of questions about football and if you don't know the answer and aren't female then people tend to stare. Stating "I don't like football" is similar to putting your phone number on preferential service... no one will phone you anymore!!

As for the states well you only really have to look at all the fanfare that accompanies each "football" game (again using american terminology for ease of reading). There's countless examples of the game going over the top on some minor issue and not being very big picture. Okay that not necessarily ESTJ but when you consider that there's what 3 parts to the NFL and it's not like soccer where the first league would never play against the second or third league. It's simplified and (in my opinion) improved so that all the clubs play against each other and each year the best one wins overall as opposed to the english system of relegation and promotion (a stupid idea if ever I heard one and evidence that there's too many bloomin clubs playing if you ask me). The simplification tells me it's more EJ than IJ.

Anyhow I just thought that the comparison of the sports underlined the conclusion about the two countries types.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I can see how football is an SJ sport, but hey, all European countries are obsessed with it, and you will agree that there are huge differences between countries such as England, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands.
I like the idea of typing countries, though :)

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
I think that you should type a country based on the percentage of people of each type living in that country...if there are more introverts than extraverts in a country, for example, it's an introverted country.
I read some statistics, and I think that based on that system, the US is ISFJ.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I can see how football is an SJ sport, but hey, all European countries are obsessed with it, and you will agree that there are huge differences between countries such as England, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands.
I like the idea of typing countries, though :)
If you lok into how football is treated though it is different in each culture. In Italy it seems more of a religion, germany another sport to cover (afaik...not that familiar with germany to be honest).

Think of Mexico, where it's more of a celebration of life than a forum for hooligans.
I think that you should type a country based on the percentage of people of each type living in that country...if there are more introverts than extraverts in a country, for example, it's an introverted country.
I read some statistics, and I think that based on that system, the US is ISFJ.
Basing it on statistics doesn't take into account who is in control nor the current legacy of personality. For example, would an ISFJ try to police the world? Would it really stick it's neck out as far as America has on terrorism? I doubt it.

The way I see it is it's the personality presented to others much the same as a person does. From the outside it represents the "face" of the country as it presents and the interior is the processes, policies and politics which it's inhabitants deal with daily.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
If you lok into how football is treated though it is different in each culture. In Italy it seems more of a religion, germany another sport to cover (afaik...not that familiar with germany to be honest).

Think of Mexico, where it's more of a celebration of life than a forum for hooligans.

Oh, I misunderstood and yes, if you look at it this way, it can be very interesting, precisely because it is the same game that is seen in a different way.
Does that make Mexico an ENFP country then? And would Germany be NT, and Italy ESFP (eventhough they can be such traditionalists)?

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
Basing it on statistics doesn't take into account who is in control nor the current legacy of personality. For example, would an ISFJ try to police the world? Would it really stick it's neck out as far as America has on terrorism? I doubt it.

The way I see it is it's the personality presented to others much the same as a person does. From the outside it represents the "face" of the country as it presents and the interior is the processes, policies and politics which it's inhabitants deal with daily.

A person always has the same type, so the same rule should probably apply to a country...I don't think that who's in control really defines a country's type, but you might be right about some of the other things. I guess what matters are the traits that always stay the same.
The statistics system's flaw is that the population percentage of certain types changes from time to time, so I guess I can see what you mean there.