• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

explorers, builders, negotiators, & directors

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think of Helen Fisher's alternate temperament system? Her background is in research anthropology. She pairs each type with their dominant biochemistry--the dopamine-rich Explorer, the serotonin-dominant Builder, the estrogen-flooded Negotiator, & the testosterone-happy Director. These types are supposed to correspond to Plato's categories of Artist, Guardian, Idealist & Rational, but they don't match with Keirsey or MBTI. The Explorer's traits seem both NP & SP, Builder seems ESJ, Negotiator seems NF, & Director seems ENT/EST.

I've seen her stuff in both fluffy & non-fluffy contexts, she developed the questionaire for Chemistry.com, a subsidiary of match.com.

On my supervalid magazine test, I came out Explorer-Negotiator! :)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What do you think ! of Helen Fisher's alternate temperament system? Her background is in research anthropology. She pairs each type with their dominant biochemistry--the dopamine-rich Explorer, the serotonin-dominant Builder, the estrogen-flooded Negotiator, & the testosterone-happy Director. These types are supposed to correspond to Plato's categories of Artist, Guardian, Idealist & Rational, but they don't match with Keirsey or MBTI. The Explorer's traits seem both NP & SP, Builder seems ESJ, Negotiator seems NF, & Director seems ENT/EST.

I've seen her stuff in both fluffy & non-fluffy contexts, she developed the questionaire for Chemistry.com, a subsidiary of match.com.

On my supervalid magazine test, I came out Explorer-Negotiator:)

Where is the difference between this and and the MBTI types?

Its almost like looking at the same typology (the state of your unconscious tendencies, not your personality, typology has nothing to do with people) from a different perspective. Or even in more colloquial terms, same thing just in different wording.

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Here's an excerpt from an article:

Fisher found that based on the activity levels of four key chemicals (serotonin, estrogen, dopamine, and testosterone), people largely fall into one of four temperaments: Builder, Negotiator, Explorer, and Director. Here's a rundown:

The Builder
Chemical in charge: Serotonin (associated with sociability and feelings of calm)
Personality: Calm, managerial, conscientious, home-oriented but social

The Negotiator
Chemical in charge: Estrogen (associated with intuition and creativity)
Personality: Imaginative, sympathetic, socially skilled, idealistic

The Explorer
Chemical in charge: dopamine (associated with curiosity and spontaneity)
Personality: Risk-taking, spontaneous, curious, adaptable

The Director
Chemical in charge: testosterone (associated with independence and rational thinking)
Personality: focused, inventive, daring, logical, direct

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I probably take issue right off the bat with tying testosterone to "rational thinking" and in general trying to tie these particular brain chemicals to one of four archetypes. It seems little more logical than the "humors" theory developed centuries ago, involving bile and other bodily fluids.

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
I probably take issue right off the bat with tying testosterone to "rational thinking" and in general trying to tie these particular brain chemicals to one of four archetypes. It seems little more logical than the "humors" theory developed centuries ago, involving bile and other bodily fluids.

She's an anthropology professor.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I've always heard of testosterone as a "risk taker, aggressive" hormone, not a "rational" one.

The "four temperaments" to me seem more likely to emerge from combinations of 2-3 chemicals, or combinations of brain growth and chemicals, rather than just having a 1-to-1 equivalence with certain chemicals or traits.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Here are my results according to the test here:
Love Quiz

Explorer: 25
Builder: 15
Negotiator: 20
Director: 21

It looks like you could subsitute Director for NT, Negotiator for NF, Builder for SJ, and Explorer for SP. I've only looked at this briefly on Oprah's site but it seems like a more simplified version of the mbti system (while adding in loosely based neurchemical reasons as to why someone is one type over the other).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm. Like this wasn't predictable

Explorer: 19
Builder: 17
Negotiator: 23

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Explorer: 19
Negotiator: 23

Interesting.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Explorer: 17
Negotiator: 19
Director: 23

That the values are negligible, I suppose, means that I'm balanced.

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Highest score: Builder closely followed by Negotiator.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Explorer: 15
Builder: 11
Negotiator: 22

Don't know if I'd put much faith in this...

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I've found a link for this test online: OkCupid.com: Take Why You? Why Me? Test

You scored: 13 as Explorer, 26 as Builder, 26 as Director, 15 as Negotiator.

According to Dr. Fisher, some of the traits of these four types are as follows:

Explorers tend to regard courting as entertainment.They are highly sensitive to the world around them and like the pleasures of the senses. They want someone to go adventuring with them--a playmate.It is easy for them to laugh at themselves. They entertain, even perform. They like music that is intense and complicated. Most have a good deal of experience at dating. They are good at listening and talking. They find self-disclosure difficult. Their attitude toward sex is relaxed. Explorers trust their impulses.

Builders take courtship seriously and believe in good manners, courtesy, etc. Dating is a social activity. They tend to think concretely; like and trust facts. They are cautious and don't choose a partner impulsively. Often uncomfortable with "drama" and can appear unromantic but are dependable and have clear-cut values. They enjoy doing things as a couple within a larger group of friends...they want to belong. Are likely to be the least sexual of the four types. Builders trust their values.

Directors consider dating an expenditure of time and energy. They seek a "mind mate". Are forthright and tend to make decisions quickly. They seek mates who are emotionally expressive, flexible, and have difficulty dealing with "controlling" people. Many have had little dating experience in their youth. They have a take-charge style. Generally have only a few serious relationships before they marry, don't defect easily once they have decided to build a partnership. Their ring fingers are usually at least as long, or longer than their index fingers! They have a high sex drive. Directors trust their logic.

Negotiators seek the ideal partner: someone with whom they can make an intensely intimate, deeply meaningful, inspiring and spiritual connection. They are popular with all types because they are flexible, appreciative, affectionate, good at reading other's thoughts and feelings, empathetic and superb at expressing their own ideas and emotions. Prefer to go out with one person at a time, and to avoid social events when getting to know someone. Can be deeply hurt by rejection. They are the most romantic of the four types. They are more complex than they often seem. Their ring fingers are usually shorter than their index fingers! Sex is an essential part of a partnership but must be mixed with romance, communication and emotional intimacy: sex and love are intertwined. They have a rich fantasy life, which can be tarnished if become disillusioned with their partner's imperfections. Negotiators trust their intuition.

In a mate choice study, Dr. Fisher found people were attracted by whom they chose to meet for a first date as follows:

Female Male

Explorers - Explorers

Builders - Builders

Directors - Negotiators

Negotiators - Directors

Last edited: