• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WIKIPEDIA SUCKS

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(at cognitive functions)

This article doesn't explain how the functions are ordered too well, and the functions themselves aren't even explained. Do any of you want to get together to work on making it better?

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
You should rename this thread something way more interesting, like "Wikipedia Sucks (at cognitive functions)" or " "Wikipedia Corpsefuck". The current name sounds like a school project.

But I agree. That article needs fixed.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
That's a good resource. Not sure if it'd be citable, though.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Wikipedia rules.

*old enough to remember writing papers before internet research was common*

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I tried doing that a couple years ago on here: Making a library of better cog functions definitions based on forum consensus.

Like start a thread for each cog function and keep only the descriptors that most agree upon.

Then update wiki with them, or publish something by Type C. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, we know, but the problem is that the Wikipedia article needs to be improved. And we could do that.

Well yes, I know that, but seeing as I don't really feel like spending my day updating the Wiki article, I figured it would be at least helpful to leave a resource.

G

garbage

This article clearly states that MBTI, Jung, Beebe, et al. disagree on the roles and differentiation of the cognitive functions--that there's not yet a consensus.

So, if anything, that article ought to be required reading by our forum members.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
you do realize that if you write your own stuff there, you cant put them under the category of jungian cognitive functions(as they then are technically curt.is.gods cognitive functions), you need to write about the functions as they were defined in jungs work and reference to jungs work about the stuff you write about.

its better that there is nothing about the functions except links rather than false/misleading info about the functions

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This article clearly states that MBTI, Jung, Beebe, et al. disagree on the roles and differentiation of the cognitive functions--that there's not yet a consensus.

So, if anything, that article ought to be required reading by our forum members.

+1

Of course it sucks! And it's accurate in its suckiness! ;) We can't even get consensus on anything within this very forum! ;) It's kind of the nature of mbti/cog functions at this juncture. Different people reference different definitions, authorities, theories, etc.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wikipedia rules.

*old enough to remember writing papers before internet research was common*

"When i was a kid, we used these slabs of dried and flattened cellulose pulp smeared with resins and solvents to communicate ideas. We called them 'books' and they were housed in large tree mortuaries called libraries... Oh, those were the days!"

you do realize that if you write your own stuff there, you cant put them under the category of jungian cognitive functions(as they then are technically curt.is.gods cognitive functions), you need to write about the functions as they were defined in jungs work and reference to jungs work about the stuff you write about.

its better that there is nothing about the functions except links rather than false/misleading info about the functions

I don't think it's an issue as long as everything is properly labeled... most of that thread is filed under other names and describes the function descriptions they developed based on Jung's work. But you just can't file under things underneath Jung in the article, as long as it doesn't describe Jung's actual thoughts.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
You should rename this thread something way more interesting, like "Wikipedia Sucks (at cognitive functions)" or " "Wikipedia Corpsefuck". The current name sounds like a school project.

But I agree. That article needs fixed.

Or Suckapedia, this age's great disaster?

Not that im against wikipedia but I wondered if that would fit.

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I don't plan on us doing that. I plan on us defining the functions as they were defined in Jung's work (and perhaps some other notable works). Isn't that better than nothing and false/misleading info?

+1

Of course it sucks! And it's accurate in its suckiness! ;) We can't even get consensus on anything within this very forum! ;) It's kind of the nature of mbti/cog functions at this juncture. Different people reference different definitions, authorities, theories, etc.

We're not trying to get consensus. We're trying to summarize these different people's definitions/theories.

Fwiw, the wikipedia pages of the specific mbti types contain descriptions of the functions.
e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTP#Cognitive_functions

Yeah, I was aware.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
It needs to actually describe the functions according to different people, not just say that there is no consensus. It's odd that they're described for each type, but not on the article.