• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to use Te without pissing people off

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I've been on this forum enough to have heard from Fe and Ti users that Te can be overwhelming/aggravating to them. I want to understand better why this is so. And I want to know how to fine tune my use of Te in such a way that it doesn't unnecessarily chafe.

• Advice or hints on how to use Te without pissing people off?
  • Any Te horror stories you want to share?

:popc1:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chill out and don't think that what you have to say is the word of god. Understand that everyone has their opinions, and that when you try to use Te for others that it will fail no matter how smart the conclusion if you aren't tactful enough to get your message across. Otherwise, the person will focus more on the fact that you're being so rude and blunt and pushy rather than what you are actually saying.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Who cares? :devil:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been on this forum enough to have heard from Fe and Ti users that Te can be overwhelming/aggravating to them. I want to understand better why this is so. And I want to know how to fine tune my use of Te in such a way that it doesn't unnecessarily chafe.

"I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by that bank"

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No seriously, the reason why I say "who cares" is because sometimes people with Fe or even others with Te will keep pushing you if you aren't direct and lay down the law. I cook for some middle-aged disabled man who is some kind of STJ who apparently isn't used to women standing up to him (now that he's in a wheel chair apparently he forgets that him barking at people isn't going to fly) and I *have* to be fucking direct with him. In fact, me and my ESFJ friend both seem to be able to "handle" him without saying "oh poor man he's in a wheelchair." No. He's a fucking asshole (actually I think he's ESTJ, because this ISTJ old man I know said once "geez I wonder if he talked to his wife like that, I never talk to my wife like that, I can't believe he talks that way to people who are doing things for him.") He's just overbearing and demanding and you have to deal with him and give it right back to him.

On the other hand, even Fe people will keep pushing and pushing passive-aggressively if you don't lay down the fucking law with them and create boundaries. They'll keep doing their shit as long as you play Fi/Pe (Pe/Fi) "nice" and once they get a OHAI SURPRISE dose of Te, they will stop their shit.

I've had IxFJs mostly complain that I am shockingly direct at times. IxFJs seem the most bothered by it. EFJs can handle it because of their own dom Fe a lot of the time, as can TJs, ETPs and more mature FPs. I think young, passive IFPs and ITPs may have the occasional fear response to it though. I know my grandfather's ESTJ wife used to kind of scare me as a kid. But I saw my ESFP mom stand up to her, and I think between the two of them, I learned not to let people instill too much fear into me (unless that fear is reasonable for self-preservation, like running is better than confrontation).

Te can be detached and reasonable though. I think that's mature Te. Te that's not childish can just come across as kind of impersonal and even-handed and matter of fact.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

lol, I knew that it had to be an ENFP who posted this, because a Te dom could give less of a shit if they piss people off with what they do. That's more of an Fe thing or an Fi thing to avoid confrontation.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
lol, I knew that it had to be an ENFP who posted this, because a Te dom could give less of a shit if they piss people off with what they do. That's more of an Fe thing or an Fi thing to avoid confrontation.

My though exactly , what explains why there is no TJs in this thread.

G

garbage

Count to ten. Collect your thoughts. Be calm but direct. Then speak.

And everything that [MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION] said is completely spot on--everybody should read it at least three times over.

Horror stories? I dunno, I had someone who I was "close to" who could dish it but not take it. That wasn't fun at all.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Does this count as a horror story that the OP is mentioning ?

One of my old posts.

How would you react if I have done something similar to you?

Once two other guys (I would say ExTP and a xNTP) wanted to play RISK 2210 with me and I have accepted the challenge. But I wasn't fair in that challenge (actually it was a challenge for me for them it was just a game).

But since I had a RISK 2210 and I was relatively new to this game I wanted to win at all costs. I have opened the game on my table and started to plan my moves since this version of risk allows you much more planning than classical Risk game.

I have counted all the cards that give you special abilties and I have calcualted the probability of getting a card that alows me to use certain ability and where would be smart to place my troops at a start and how to arrange them.... etc. Plus how much energy(money) will I have in a certain moment.
So I have planned and calculated many possibilities for hours and I finally ended my planning around 4 AM.

Next day that wasn't actually a game, it was more like genocide. In 5 turns I have managed to wipe out both of them of the chart and capture all 69 territories. In the end those two guys stayed shocked and asked me "How? How did you do this, Damn it?" So I have shown them my strategy and how I planned until 4 AM. (and papers on which the probabilities were counted and plans were developed ..... etc to the last detail)

The reaction in general was like "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU !?"
Even today they are saying things like "Just don't plan anything, OK?" as a sarcasm about what happened that day.

To me this is one of the lifes best pleasures, I enjoy calculating possiblities and use this in a way that others do not expect. When others think that there is just something random going on they are usually wrong since I don't even open my mouth before I take a look on how those words can be used against me. What doesn't mean that I will not "risk" sometimes.

One philosophical question for the end

If you are planning not to plan, are you planning?

(what is sometimes best strategy)

Is this the example of the mentioned "horror stories" ?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Explain yourself in a way that doesn't scream "how do you not understand this" to other people.

It's actually pretty simple. If you have the control to not need to demolish the dumb ideas of others, you're halfway there.

Just don't be a dick about it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I will answer this in a Te fashion.

1. Chill out and don't think that what you have to say is the word of god.

2. Understand that everyone has their opinions, and that when you try to use Te for others that it will fail no matter how smart the conclusion if you aren't tactful enough to get your message across.

3.Otherwise, the person will focus more on the fact that you're being so rude and blunt and pushy rather than what you are actually saying.

1. Why I would I do that ? If they have a real counter argument they will use it. Otherwise my claims are factually stronger than theirs. (despite that this is politically and socially incorrect) And if they indeed have such a argument I want to know it even if this means that they will use it as a defense from me.

2. If you are so impressed with form over the content I am not even concerned about getting my massage across. (or I can simply throw you out of my company because this is in my opinion dangerous behaviour ..... and that is it - case closed)

3. If there is no physical violence I dont see a real problem. Especially since I want to surround myself with people I can talk freely and be what I am. So be open for the idea that being nice can also "burn a bridge".

Do you have any idea how frustrating is to be nice nice all the time ? However some people simply dont get that some other people consider this to be a waste of time (in general). Just imagine what things I could have done if I wasn't opening you slowly for conversation ...... just so that I can get my massage across.

(this post is just an example of why Te often has to or wants to hurt someone)

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
^ wow man it really sounds like you've got life wrapped around your little finger there.

Being right is fine, but being right isn't worth being alone.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
^ wow man it really sounds like you've got life wrapped around your little finger there.

Being right is fine, but being right isn't worth being alone.

Just as the MBTI says: I am socally insensitive version of you.
So when you mix your drive with strong introversion the above post is exactly what you wll get.

(but I am pretty sure I am but trully evil ... I am just naturally pretty blunt)

A

Anew Leaf

My though exactly , what explains why there is no TJs in this thread.

The reason for this is because the functions are so different depending on what place they are in for people. I find te-doms/aux to be less annoying with their Te versus Te-tert/inf types. Te for the former are like swords in the hand of a master, simply an extension of self and will be directed with confidence. Te for the latter are children getting into their father's armory. Very clunky and out of control.

I think the problem Te-tert/fe users have is that they have Te as their go-to weapon for destruction... when it should first be utilized as a means of learning how to become detached from an emotional situation. I find Te most helpful in my life when I keep it simple, with a purpose, and narrowly directed at my targets.

I have this ESFJ employee who needs a lot of guiding to do things My Way. I find the easiest way to handle her is to just be very clear and precise with what I want and make sure she knows I want no deviating from the course. The other day I told her to do something and she started arguing with me over why she was doing it her way. I listened and said "I understand that that is the way that makes sense for you, but here is how I need this done." I just kept repeating that until she agreed. No drama, but it's done my way.

G

garbage

1. Why I would I do that ? If they have a real counter argument they will use it. Otherwise my claims are factually stronger than theirs. (despite that this is politically and socially incorrect) And if they indeed have such a argument I want to know it even if this means that they will use it as a defense from me.

2. If you are so impressed with form over the content I am not even concerned about getting my massage across. (or I can simply throw you out of my company because this is in my opinion dangerous behaviour ..... and that is it - case closed)
The entire discussion at hand is, essentially, "I deem 'using Te' as important, but I also don't want to chafe other people. How do I reconcile the two?"

If you care about having a discussion with certain people, you will want to try to not actively piss them off, because that's how those people function--so, take them or leave them.

If you don't communicate with the other person, then you're missing out on their perception of reality and will continue to believe that you're 'right,' even in cases where you are not. It could be that the other person is right, but that you've irritated them to the point that they'll no longer talk to you--if that's the case, it's you who will be missing out on the truth.

That is, you're assuming that the other party will use a counterargument if they have it and that, if they don't use it, then your argument is the correct one. If you assume that you're right just because the other person gives up, then, sometimes, you'll be assuming that you're right in cases where you're actually not right. They could very well be right, but could be giving up due to a perceived lack of respect or due to a perception that you're not listening to them. They'd believe that you're closed-minded and that there's no sense in attempting to convince a closed-minded person.

Stated in a more direct way, the assumption that you're necessarily right if the other person stops talking to you is sometimes (if not often) a faulty one.
3. If there is no physical violence I dont see a real problem. Especially since I want to surround myself with people I can talk freely and be what I am. So be open for the idea that being nice can also "burn a bridge".

Do you have any idea how frustrating is to be nice nice all the time ? However some people simply dont get that some other people consider this to be a waste of time (in general). Just imagine what things I could have done if I wasn't opening you slowly for conversation ...... just so that I can get my massage across.
Likewise, if the other person wants to hold a discussion with you, they'd be better served by trying to be blunt with you than by trying to be nice and skirting around their points--because that's what you value. But you can't force others to do so; it's easier to force yourself to adapt to them if you want to have a discussion.

(this post is just an example of why Te often has to or wants to hurt someone)
Even if it may 'often' have to, this thread is about the cases where it doesn't have to. It's also about expanding those cases.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The entire discussion at hand is, essentially, "I deem 'using Te' as important, but I also don't want to chafe other people. How do I reconcile the two?"

If you care about having a discussion with certain people, you will want to try to not actively piss them off, because that's how those people function--so, take them or leave them.

If you don't communicate with the other person, then you're missing out on their perception of reality and will continue to believe that you're 'right,' even in cases where you are not. It could be that the other person is right, but that you've irritated them to the point that they'll no longer talk to you--if that's the case, it's you who will be missing out on the truth.

That is, you're assuming that the other party will use a counterargument if they have it and that, if they don't use it, then your argument is the correct one. If you assume that you're right just because the other person gives up, then, sometimes, you'll be assuming that you're right in cases where you're actually not right. They could very well be right, but could be giving up due to a perceived lack of respect or due to a perception that you're not listening to them. They'd believe that you're closed-minded and that there's no sense in attempting to convince a closed-minded person.

Stated in a more direct way, the assumption that you're necessarily right if the other person stops talking to you is sometimes (if not often) a faulty one.

Likewise, if the other person wants to hold a discussion with you, they'd be better served by trying to be blunt with you than by trying to be nice and skirting around their points--because that's what you value. But you can't force others to do so; it's easier to force yourself to adapt to them if you want to have a discussion.

Even if it may 'often' have to, this thread is about the cases where it doesn't have to. It's also about expanding those cases.

1. First of all I wanted to give a picture of why Te has to be blunt and why it is in it's nature is to shake thing up. Otherwise it may not even be Te that you are actaully using or you support it heaviliy with Fe , Ne or Ti ... etc. (I am one of the people that thinks that we use all 8 functions , now the only thing that is under question here are ratios)

2. I am not exactly a member of western civiliazation and culture. So what you have wrote is not 100% true for my environment.
Especially since the legacy of communism and feudalism is still pretty fresh ..... what makes most of the people pretty submissive. So when you hit them with what you call "rudness" there are pretty good odds that you will get what you want. (if you are not trully over the line and you ask for something realistic)

The reason why I have started that capitalism thread that ended in Political sub-forum is exactlly because I never felt that I am enough in control of my own life or that my environment is furfilling even the ..... lets call it "minimum of efficiency".

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
It's actually pretty simple. If you have the control to not need to demolish the dumb ideas of others, you're halfway there.

Just don't be a dick about it.
And the award for self congratulatory oxymoron of the year goes to ...

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Do you think if a fish had Te that it would be able to get out of the barrel?
Well depends on the weight of the barrel and the type of vertical and lateral momentum that fish can get and the gravity in that place, and how plastic its body is (the speed of deceleration so the rate of transfer of the momentum into an equal and opposed force of acceleration in the opposite direction for the barrel (-entropy loss) .. ), salinity levels will play a role as well. Now the question is: if the fish gets out of the barrel will it die ? Is there water around ?
if the barrel is in the sea or in water ALREADY the fish doesnt need much to get out of it... Except if the gravity is really SUPER strong. Though bodies do not take gravity differentials in the same way in water but of course the inertia remains the same so , still.