• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi vs Fe Explained!

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Overall, I really liked the video--I agree with almost everything. In regards to being open with emotion and whether or not facial expressions seems genuine, I don't think this is Fe/Fi related. I don't see a pattern in the people I know with this.

For instance, my best friend through middle and high school was an ISFJ, and she was a master at pretending to have whatever emotion she wanted to. But she was also pretty expressive. I know another ISFJ pretty well, and he was pretty mysterious with his emotions. I think he had an issue with being a man and a Feeler, honestly, because he liked to emphasize how analytical he was and how he liked to deal with "cold, hard facts," but it was obvious he had high Fe. With the ESFJs I've known, some are masters of portraying whatever emotion they want to and some are transparent and can't hide. With INFJs, I can't hide my true emotions for the life of me, but the other suspected INFJs I've known are pretty damn mysterious with their emotions.

With Fi-users, my ISFP mother is much better than I am at faking warmth for strangers while my ESFP sister can't hide her true emotions and always comes off fake when trying to be "falsely happy." For the ENFPs I know, I would have said before that they wear their emotions on their sleeves, but what people have said about this being their energy instead of emotions is making me rethink this.

So overall, I think that whether someone is open with their emotions, or is able to fake emotions convincingly, is related to far more factors than Fe/Fi.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
Overall, I really liked the video--I agree with almost everything. In regards to being open with emotion and whether or not facial expressions seems genuine, I don't think this is Fe/Fi related. I don't see a pattern in the people I know with this.

For instance, my best friend through middle and high school was an ISFJ, and she was a master at pretending to have whatever emotion she wanted to. But she was also pretty expressive. I know another ISFJ pretty well, and he was pretty mysterious with his emotions. I think he had an issue with being a man and a Feeler, honestly, because he liked to emphasize how analytical he was and how he liked to deal with "cold, hard facts," but it was obvious he had high Fe. With the ESFJs I've known, some are masters of portraying whatever emotion they want to and some are transparent and can't hide. With INFJs, I can't hide my true emotions for the life of me, but the other suspected INFJs I've known are pretty damn mysterious with their emotions.

With Fi-users, my ISFP mother is much better than I am at faking warmth for strangers while my ESFP sister can't hide her true emotions and always comes off fake when trying to be "falsely happy." For the ENFPs I know, I would have said before that they wear their emotions on their sleeves, but what people have said about this being their energy instead of emotions is making me rethink this.

So overall, I think that whether someone is open with their emotions, or is able to fake emotions convincingly, is related to far more factors than Fe/Fi.

You might be right on this, I'm least happy with this video actually, maybe I'll redo it in the future.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like the Fe types, other peoples' emotions can definitely affect how I feel. If you act grumpy around me, it will put me in a bad mood. I tend to be sympathetic of other peoples' hard luck stories. I try to do the socially acceptable thing when someone is under distress yet sometimes I feel awkward doing so. For example if someone tells me a loved one dies, I will do the standard "I'm sorry about your loss and try to sound all sad but there's always this anxiety that people will be able to see right through me and that I'm not being sincere.

Regarding facial expressions, I'm somewhat of a mixed bag. I've been told that I tend to come across as rather 'flat' to others. Yet I've also been told that I have a nice warm smile and sparkling eyes- which I think might be more Fe. I'm also affected by others' enthusiasm. When others around me are enthusiastic and the interest is mutual, I will show more of that in my face I think.

I can really relate to this, especially the bolded parts. I'v recently come to the conclusion I was mistaken about being a dominant Fi user. As I've read and studied the functions, I really can't relate to anything I learn about Fi and I have a hard time relating to posts about it by Fi users on this forum. At the same time, Fe sounds more natural as either a dominant or auxiliary function for me and I can much more easily relate to posts about it by other Fe users.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I can really relate to this, especially the bolded parts. I'v recently come to the conclusion I was mistaken about being a dominant Fi user. As I've read and studied the functions, I really can't relate to anything I learn about Fi and I have a hard time relating to posts about it by Fi users on this forum. At the same time, Fe sounds more natural as either a dominant or auxiliary function for me and I can much more easily relate to posts about it by other Fe users.

Personally, I think you might be so dom and that's the source of your confusion.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I liked the video too!

I have very easy smiles. I always look asian (even though I am not), I don't understand how some people can't smile. Well that explains it. Thanks!! :happy2:

xpeacexrainbowx

It's NOT how expressive you are at first impression that you're Fe or Fi, but the general behavior. IxFJs are more quiet so they'll obviously be reserved at first impression as much as IxFPs.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's NOT how expressive you are at first impression that you're Fe or Fi, but the general behavior. IxFJs are more quiet so they'll obviously be reserved at first impression as much as IxFPs.

My first impression vibes are more INTP and ISTJ to be honest. It's only after I get comfortable around a person and relax that I become uncontrollably expressive.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How does using Fe or Fi relate to the ability to hear truckloads of negative emotions? Is it Fe because it can empathize with whatever anyone else is feeling in the moment and let it go when they are gone? Or is it Fi because there is a better shield between the internal and external worlds, so that they can empathize and analyze the situation without total impact?

Which type would be drawn to be a trauma counselor? I know very sensitive, emotional, empathetic people who shut down when hearing about too much horrible events, and others who can compartmentalize it, tolerate vast amounts of it, but then put it aside and maintain their emotional integrity and health. This is one of my most significant ongoing questions about the two functions, so I welcome any response.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
How does using Fe or Fi relate to the ability to hear truckloads of negative emotions? Is it Fe because it can empathize with whatever anyone else is feeling in the moment and let it go when they are gone? Or is it Fi because there is a better shield between the internal and external worlds, so that they can empathize and analyze the situation without total impact?

Which type would be drawn to be a trauma counselor? I know very sensitive, emotional, empathetic people who shut down when hearing about too much horrible events, and others who can compartmentalize it, tolerate vast amounts of it, but then put it aside and maintain their emotional integrity and health. This is one of my most significant ongoing questions about the two functions, so I welcome any response.

Bingo :D

Not to say Fe types can't do this without being affected a great deal, but through my interactions with them, I'm under the impression that others' negative emotions tend to wear them down more easily. It's not that simplistic of course. But to use myself as an example, while I would say I am not completely impervious to the emotions of others, especially if those emotions and situations of others are things I've felt personally before, then I can very quickly get into the same emotions they feel and genuinely feel saddened myself, I tend to view and approach other's issues and emotional problems literally just like any other jigsaw puzzle I'm trying to solve. There really is no difference to me in how tackling emotions of others feels, as trying to tackle I don't know, a rubix cube.

Which type would be drawn to be a trauma counselor? Either would be just as qualified, I think the Fi user would be less enthusiastic about jumping into to solve the emotional problems of others, and rather, would give their advise and help should someone approach them.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bingo :D

Not to say Fe types can't do this without being affected a great deal, but through my interactions with them, I'm under the impression that others' negative emotions tend to wear them down more easily. It's not that simplistic of course. But to use myself as an example, while I would say I am not completely impervious to the emotions of others, especially if those emotions and situations of others are things I've felt personally before, then I can very quickly get into the same emotions they feel and genuinely feel saddened myself, I tend to view and approach other's issues and emotional problems literally just like any other jigsaw puzzle I'm trying to solve. There really is no difference to me in how tackling emotions of others feels, as trying to tackle I don't know, a rubix cube.

Which type would be drawn to be a trauma counselor? Either would be just as qualified, I think the Fi user would be less enthusiastic about jumping into to solve the emotional problems of others, and rather, would give their advise and help should someone approach them.
Thanks for your response. It is difficult for me to evaluate the Fi and Fe aspect to myself, and I end up seeing those I know well, including myself, in such high resolution that it can be hard to nail down which type is accurate.

I do have a bizarrely high emotional tolerance level, and it isn't because I don't feel the person's pain. It does sometimes impact, but if the dynamic is positive and in the process of healing and understanding, then I can tolerate significant amounts of negative emotion. When it is in the context of arrogance, unchanging, false, socially complex, then I do get sick and can't stand it. I have a friend with low tolerance to hearing about pain, but I can't make out if she is ISFJ or ISTJ. For myself I cannot make out if I'm INFJ or INFP. I have an unusually low levels of needing to control someone else's behavior, so I don't try to influence people's personal opinions on religion or politics, or much of anything, but value their autonomy greatly. It still isn't clearly Fi to me though, but also not clearly Fe. So anyway, that's my ramble. It will be interesting to see if others respond to see if there are any trends.