• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni users and the "read it, and then do it" methadology

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So I've noticed that Se users need to physically do something in order to understand it. However, many Ni users that I have met can do something very strange indeed: Many Ni users that I know can literally watch youtube videos on something or read books on how to do something and then just do it. For instance, I have an INTJ brother who can literally just look at a math problem and not do any paper, nor pencil work and solve the problem perfect everytime. Also, my friend [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] has INTJ friend who wasn't that great at wrestling and then just spend a long time reading books on wrestling for a while and then came back with a vengence and became state champion! It's like Ni users learn better from reading and studying how to do things, then actually doing them. Do you Ni users do this as well, and please explain to me how this works?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dunno. But I'm pretty much "See one, do one, teach one."

:smile:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
dunno, never heard this from Ni types before, however INTPs are well known from being able to study theory and master it. maybe it has something to do with N in general and the ability to introspect more than Ni.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whether or not I am S or N is very debatable, but I really wish there could be something cool to put my hands on in science because otherwise all I can do is read about it and from that develop philosophies that have no immediate application but rather serve as seeds, ever growing with the evolution of mankind and when sceince can make all the dreams of philosophy a reality.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
dunno, never heard this from Ni types before, however INTPs are well known from being able to study theory and master it. maybe it has something to do with N in general and the ability to introspect more than Ni.

Wait until Elfboy comes along. He can explain this phenomenon better than I.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is very fascinating. I haven't heard of this.

My Ni works more like I have a dream that something is going to happen, concerning someone VERY close to me (I never dream about major world events, I'm not that special or INFJ) and it does. One person in particular at the moment seems almost connected to my brain metaphysically.

Or basically it helps me "after the fact." Like I have an Se experience, and later reflect on it, and see it from varying angles besides the original context I saw it in at the time it happened. Stuff like that.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wait until Elfboy comes along. He can explain this phenomenon better than I.

Your Avatar features an Illuminati triangle, the symbol for the all-seeing eye of God! idk random

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Your Avatar features an Illuminati triangle, the symbol for the all-seeing eye of God! idk random

lol, that's awesome. I was just watching a tube video on hidden illuminati symbols in Hollywood this weekend.

V

violaine

I wonder if it has something to do with needing to see the big picture? A little hard to explain and I'm not sure if this is related to what you are wondering about. I'm INFJ. When I know why I should do something or the point of a series of actions, then I can flow. That is critical when I'm acquiring a skill that doesn't arise organically out of me, but rather is at the direction of someone else. For example, when learning to drive. There are certain steps that need to be followed... I feel like I'm going to step off a precipice if I don't know the "why" or intellectually what should come next. I need to be able to conceptualize so that the steps I'm going to follow make sense to me. That's the only way the steps get filed away properly so that I can repeat the process at will.

I pick up a skill far more quickly when I have context and relevant info, than if I'm working on something without knowing the point/steps.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The aspect of seeing and re-seeing a process and the understanding of its dynamics. An Ni-user would observe and understand a process seen in a manner of how each node of the process relates to the next. Because the different perceptions of the process would come naturally to an Ni-user, the implementation of a personalised version of the process could, at many times, be done right after the viewing, and over a period of how long the Ni-user lives, it is likely they may get better at it over extended periods of time. This is limited to the capabilities of the Ni-user. You cannot sit down and watch a game of american football and suddenly gain the reflexes and muscles to be an expert american football player or watch an artist draw then have the tamed hand of an artist. Processes would often limit itself to the memory, reflexes, body structure and status of the Ni-user.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I've noticed that Se users need to physically do something in order to understand it. However, many Ni users that I have met can do something very strange indeed: Many Ni users that I know can literally watch youtube videos on something or read books on how to do something and then just do it.

I'm not an Ni user but I can do this to some extent. It depends on what the thing is. One time I read a book about HTML and then used HTML to construct a web page from scratch and was pretty successful in doing so without much difficulty. If its a body based thing, then I need to go through the motions a few times to know I'm doing it right. Then again, I'm not naturally gifted in body intelligence. One time I watched a pilates video and got overconfident that watching it just once I'd be ready to go out and do it successfully. Turns out I had someone watching me and she told me I wasn't doing the technique right. I underemphasized the "how does it feel in my body aspect?" And that is something you just have to do sometimes to know. Sometimes the act of doing is a better tool for learning than any book.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
The aspect of seeing and re-seeing a process and the understanding of its dynamics. An Ni-user would observe and understand a process seen in a manner of how each node of the process relates to the next. Because the different perceptions of the process would come naturally to an Ni-user, the implementation of a personalised version of the process could, at many times, be done right after the viewing, and over a period of how long the Ni-user lives, it is likely they may get better at it over extended periods of time. This is limited to the capabilities of the Ni-user. You cannot sit down and watch a game of american football and suddenly gain the reflexes and muscles to be an expert american football player or watch an artist draw then have the tamed hand of an artist. Processes would often limit itself to the memory, reflexes, body structure and status of the Ni-user.

Yes, thank you so much. This is the kind of stuff that I'm talking about.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oaky explained the Ni version, but this can be true for both Ns. It's easy to grasp something once you learn the theoretical components and flow, because then you just match each aspect of the reality to the theoretical model and proceed accordingly. Much easier - to me - than dealing with the messy details of each real situation.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Learning on the go require sequential order.

If I read it first, I get the entire scheme, then get to go back and pick out certain points, which tends to work much better.

Usehername

On a mission
We inhabit abstract perspectives more than we inhabit physical body movements, so it makes sense that until we get the first thing down, the second can't follow.

And if we happen to master the second and find ourselves in the elites, it's likely that most of our peers/competitors never needed to do the first to get to the second, so we'll be differently skilled masters than them. And usually our different skills will be rarer, and doing something differently than normal usually seems voodoo-ish.

It's like how some ESFP academics can rockstar frustrate the homebody reading INTJs. We all assume ESFP methods, with their active and busy and engaged lifestyle rather than bookworm lifestyle, shouldn't be able to succeed, so it seems voodoo-ish. Whereas they can't do the nerd stuff without first doing the ESFP things, so they're differently skilled than most academics.

It's not that we have different muscles or IQs, but we have different ways of navigating the world.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oaky explained the Ni version, but this can be true for both Ns. It's easy to grasp something once you learn the theoretical components and flow, because then you just match each aspect of the reality to the theoretical model and proceed accordingly. Much easier - to me - than dealing with the messy details of each real situation.

Absolutely. Ne user here and I very frequently tackle things via you tube or reading how-to articles. Inferior Si makes it so I can't remember the way my body should feel when I move, but If i can observe it then I store the concept in my mind and duplicate it. Like with dance, I had great difficulty learning dance movements piece by piece. The way my body would move during a step could never retain, the feeling of it - no matter how many times I repeated it, each step was like new. But if I was shown a video clip of segments of the dance, I could somehow store the big picture conceptually, broken into segments - and then somehow move my body based on what i visualized, no- not internally visualized but observed.. When I first took piano lessons at 6, I would watch my teacher, the way her fingers moved and store a memory of the song.. I could duplicate the model but fail to realize obvious details like playing one key too high or low. I think that the difference in how these two might do this.. both conceptually.. is that Ni creates an internal model and checks back with this, while Ne needs to merge with the object more while duplicating?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you can't explain to me how it works?

Errr. Lemme see.

Not sure it's Ni. But I will 'wing' things, as I say. Like making a stab at it. I don't expect perfection, cauze I know by this point, I ain't gonna get it anyway. :)

So perhaps the reading/studying about it combines with a dose of intuition about how it will all come together, and wah-lah. :bunnyd: