• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Education vs Intellect

Tezkatlipoca

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It seems a lot of people have a deluded sense of what education is, and what intellect/intelligence truly is. So let's see how many of you can actually decipher the two, Because this world was built on one of the two, and it sure as hell wasn't education.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe if you phrase your question in a more inviting manner ... :D

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
The teaching and passing down of things vs the way in which a person uses the things they *know*.

ITS ALL ABOUT DA FINGS!!!

*What someone knows does not necessarily have to come from education.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Lol no, that's not exactly intelligence, isn't that called wisdom?

I assume you meant to reply to me rather than yourself? The whole reason I used the word thing to define what it is you know is to cover the enormity of what intelligence can be applied to, the way in which someone uses what he or she is given can be a defining value of what intelligence is.

But this is a completely subjective topic, your own personal idea of intelligence may not be the same as mine or even another person's. I suppose I might tentatively describe intelligence as the ability or quality of being able to do something different or inventive in a positive manner....but this could easily be incorrect based upon anothers view of intelligence.

For some people wisdom IS intelligence. For others it is innovation and so on into infinity. Perhaps it is merely what people agree on as being evidence of quality in thought?

As for education I did notice when younger that there were two types of tests: Those that tried to measure a capacity for retention of knowledge and those that tried to measure a capacity for application of knowledge.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
education offers information, intelligence enables you to use this information well

G

garbage

Wait, let's see. We're discussing "education" and "intellect." The world was built upon one of these, but it was not built upon "education."

Huh. I'm lost. I don't get it. I cannot deduce what the world was built upon.

--

Or, alternatively, exactly what [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] said.

In any case, there's no sense in quibbling over what a dictionary can tell you pretty plainly. It's not exactly intelligent to not utilize the resources that are right in front of you (e.g. a dictionary) to solve these sorts of problems, but it takes some education to know what resources are available to you.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since no one's really expanded on a definition, I'll just use my own interpretation -- though it probably isn't all that accurate. Intelligence is using the resources around you to further your mind to tap into higher levels of learning. Education is using the by-the-book means to increase your knowledge. Memorization & comprehension, which is all I really view most of our standard schooling, are the lowest forms of learning. So I respect overall intelligence more. I equate intelligence as using higher forms of learning than simple education ... or maybe just US education. I couldn't really say with any certainty.

KDude

Since no one's really expanded on a definition, I'll just use my own interpretation -- though it probably isn't all that accurate. Intelligence is using the resources around you to further your mind to tap into higher levels of learning. Education is using the by-the-book means to increase your knowledge. Memorization & comprehension, which is all I really view most of our standard schooling, are the lowest forms of learning. So I respect overall intelligence more. I equate intelligence as using higher forms of learning than simple education ... or maybe just US education. I couldn't really say with any certainty.

I agree. I don't have anything against education though - I self-educate a lot. And if they are abstract subjects, the best option for me, personally, is to acquire facts. I don't always have a strong grasp of the underlying processes at work with some subjects. I might know enough to converse on astronomy or astrophysics, but not in a way where I creatively think and play around with mental models, and contribute or challenge things in those fields. And I might know about Kant and epistemology - but am I ever going to think like Kant? Hell no. It's as if I'm naturally more Ti when it comes to Se/tactile matters (Lenore Thomson would say STPs use "body logic"), but lean on Te when it comes to things my perception can't hold on to.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I agree. I don't have anything against education though - I self-educate a lot. And if they are abstract subjects, the best option for me, personally, is to acquire facts. I don't always have a strong grasp of the underlying processes at work with some subjects. I might know enough to converse on astronomy or astrophysics, but not in a way where I creatively think and play around with mental models, and contribute or challenge things in those fields. And I might know about Kant and epistomology - but am I ever going to think like Kant? Hell no. It's as if I'm naturally more Ti when it comes to Se/tactile matters (Lenore Thomson would say STPs use "body logic"), but lean on Te when it comes to things my perception can't hold on to.

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if most people come into this theory because of this same self-education. But im the same as you, I pursue what is of interest to me individually and end up with a smattering of information, some of it in-depth and with a large bredth of knowledge, the rest of it just a scattered load of snippits, not really of use to me or anyone else.

Ive also read some of Lenore Thompson's work and I agree with her assessment of 'body logic' when it comes to Ti, it makes a lot of sense.

As an aside; one of the biggest problems with conventional views of intelligence is that people just use it as another form of comparison with others, or at worst, competition. They use it to look down their noses at others and cement their bias towards those who do not understand things as they do.

Instead they should use it for the benefit of themselves, others, or maybe even just the benefit of the human race in terms of advancements.

pv255

As an aside; one of the biggest problems with conventional views of intelligence is that people just use it as another form of comparison with others, or at worst, competition. They use it to look down their noses at others and cement their bias towards those who do not understand things as they do.

Instead they should use it for the benefit of themselves, others, or maybe even just the benefit of the human race in terms of advancements.

I would love to. Unfortunately a lot of self value is attached to intelligence. People dont like to think someone is better than them. I dont think I am holistically better than anyone, but I do believe I am better at certain task. This is what I think is most important about MBTI/Jung's functions. To recognize your skills and the skills of others. To learn to respect others skills and trade for mutual benefit. Unchallenged, I would want to use Ti/Ne for everything. But if someone told me, "Peter (me/INTP), The deadline is in two days and this project is similar to the last project! Hang your Ti/Ne hat up, put your Te/Si hat on and help out." I'd be totally cool with that. But at some point they'd have to recognize that there are projects where Ti/Ne is the best abilities for the task and learn to leverage my abilities.

So back to the comment, "...this world was built on one of the two, and it sure as hell wasn't education..." I'll say both are important. The world was built by the minds of the intelligent and the backs of the educated.
Intelligence being the recognition and application of concepts. Education being the knowledge of past events and processes and their application.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i've personally come across
a lot of people that believe
knowledge can only be gained
from institutions.

i usually make fun of them.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I tell my kids that being gifted (superior cognative ability, according to the tests) pretty much means that your brain moves a bit faster. You usually pick up things quicker. It doesn't mean you will actually do anything with your life or that other people can't learn or excel at the same thing.

I've also started to wonder if it means you can retain knowledge more easily. I don't think I'm gifted in that way ;)

pv255

...I've also started to wonder if it means you can retain knowledge more easily. I don't think I'm gifted in that way ;)

And that makes sense. You're Ne, Fi, Te, Si. Introverted sensing is your inferior.