• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Physiognomy Project: Visually Reading Cognitive Configuration

Auburn

MBTI Type
TiNe
Hello,

I am part of a team that is currently developing a physiognomy methodology tied to cognition. Our project is presently in a researching - Beta - phase, where we are seeking to identify patterns among people and their facial, body and vocal expressions, but we would like to share with you our present finds and obtain your feedback & ideas.

This an introductory guide to identifying the eight cognitive functions visually as well as a person's psychological Type. We hope you enjoy this introduction guide.

Last edited:
G

garbage

This is pretty cool stuff :popc1:

Have you looked into Socionics' visual identification? I think that your method, which relies on fluid movement rather than static pictures, has more promise--but you might draw some inspiration from it.

For the record, when thinking, I'm often told that I just stare blankly off into space or at the piece of steak in front of me (by my estimation, though, I'm looking 'past' it or am otherwise not focused on it). Sometimes, my best thinking in conversation comes when I'm looking away from the person that I'm talking to, although I know instinctively and consciously that the way to connect to someone is to make eye contact with them. I'll thus 'reconnect' and always look for feedback and tailor myself accordingly. That usually happens instinctively, without conscious thought.

Overall, your Articulator describes me pretty well when talking, and Worldview when in thought. Make of that what you will :wink:

Anyway, good work! Would love to see some discussion going about this.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yes, interesting! I also agree with bologna re it showing more promise than the method linked with socionics.
Yah could work... hmm, i am thinking though... how much video would need to be used to accurately type someone... i see the inidividual functions... but to tie it all in together may not be so easy... still possible though...

Auburn

MBTI Type
TiNe
Thanks! It is indeed quite a different approach than most have taken before. It is more similar to lip-reading than any previous physiognomical models.

Reading a person can take as little as a few seconds. An 8-10 video is usually enough for us to form a confident opinion, although some people do take longer than others.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi auburn! (it's Jenny)

hope you get some decent feedback.

exact

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
VI?

Tell me! What does my cat avatar tell you!

Does it tell me you the secret to my soul?!

G

garbage

Thanks! It is indeed quite a different approach than most have taken before. It is more similar to lip-reading than any previous physiognomical models.

Reading a person can take as little as a few seconds. An 8-10 video is usually enough for us to form a confident opinion, although some people do take longer than others.
Also, when you get 498 more posts, you'll have a treasure trove of data in our wonderful Typology Central member video thread thing. It'd be cool to see how your methods play out on these videos.. I'm sure some folks here could crosspost their videos and let you take a stab at them? (I'm gonna record another one soon and will probably do just that.)

VI?

Tell me! What does my cat avatar tell you!

Does it tell me you the secret to my soul?!
Your cat avatar VIs as some.. some sort of Ni dominant? Because it's all staring off into space or something?

Damn, I'm no good with VI.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
somewhat reminds me of this thread in a way... not to necromance in a way :laugh:

and then I had to go and watch my own videos and I'm now horrified by how often I look up, squint my right eye (my dad does the exact same thing), move my head back and forth and glare at the camera... I must be somewhat horrifying to speak to in real life :rofl1:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Interesting - it leaves a lot to ponder. I certainly identify with the Fi and Ne and like a lot of the observations :yes: I like the usage of gifs and the descriptive language is excellent and accurate.

I would question some of the typing though. Several of those celebrities' commonly accepted typing doesn't match yours (Robert Downey Jr. for example is considered a Ne-dom), but I suppose all that is debatable.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5746]Auburn[/MENTION]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrdXjjf_-4U"]type me[/YOUTUBE]

Do me motherfucker :D

Auburn

MBTI Type
TiNe
[MENTION=5578]bologna[/MENTION] - Sure thing, I can definitely take a crack at your video. And ahh, well darn. It normally takes me about a year to generate 500 posts, so I hope they come here instead.

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] - Hey there! Thanks, I'm pretty sure we'll manage something, somehow. For truth's sake \o/ . This cannot go unnoticed any longer.

[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] - Mmm, I don't think those charts are accurate, from my experience. But curious. And that kinda sounds like you may be Ne/Se dominant. What type do you identify as currently?

[MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] - Thanks. As for Robert Downey Jr. he is definitely Te dominant. Inversely, Jim Carrey is Ne dominant - but is listed as ENTJ online. Generally what happens, I think, is celebs take some MBTI test at some point without investigating much into the theory and their results get publicized by media. It's not always correct though.

[MENTION=15315]UniqueMixture[/MENTION] - Oh my. I don't have much to work with (and the intoxication is a bit confusing). What I can say though is that you're probably a discernment (T/F) lead type. Most likely Fe or Te, but this is tentative. If you happen to have a longer video I'd be happy to take a look.

Xenocide

MBTI Type
INTP
Despite the general implication that the word Physiognomy carries - the methodology we're trying to develop actually hasn't got anything in common with Socionics V.I., and it doesn't have have anything to do with static facial features, genetic or otherwise. Physiognomy is trying to grasp how the psyche and cognitive function as described by Jungian typology manifest in the body dynamically. It's about how the body moves, your eyes, your hands, and also how your voice sounds.

We are actually working under the assumption that cognitive functions arise from the brain, and are generally rather interested in how neuroscience (like what Dario Nardi is doing.) can answer questions about human cognitive functionality, and help identify it through a systematic typology, which is currently in the realm of non empirical psychology.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
We are actually working under the assumption that cognitive functions arise from the brain, and are generally rather interested in how neuroscience (like what Dario Nardi is doing.) can answer questions about human cognitive functionality, and help identify it through a systematic typology, which is currently in the realm of non empirical psychology.
I was going to say, a bunch of your descriptions are in alignment with what Nardi's recent research suggests about the brains environment while certain types think. For example, the fluid, whole body composure of the inner perception types align well with Ni brain mapping. Also, Ti dom rigid, stop start, rather lifeless demeanor makes sense as Nardi's findings indicate that while thinking, centers used for emotional and external sensation functioning seem to essentially "turn off."

Interesting stuff.

Auburn

MBTI Type
TiNe
[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] Huh! That's quite interesting.
I haven't come across that in his writing quite yet. :3
By any chance do you have the source?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] Huh! That's quite interesting.
I haven't come across that in his writing quite yet. :3
By any chance do you have the source?

Most of it is in his book which I highly recommend, and there's also been some interesting discussion in this thread for some summaries.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
WARNING: Awkwardness alert!!

Here's my video.

I'm only going to leave it up for a day or two.

Thoughts on my physiognomy type? Probably best to watch it with the sound turned off so you can focus on my movements rather than my words.

G

garbage

I've been trying to look at my own video to determine whether what I said about myself is actually true. I don't see Explorer "floatiness" in me, but I see "Perception lead" and much of your Ne description through much of the video with an Articulator's control and rigidity (stops and starts to hand motions, more directed movements from time to time, etc.).

It's also different talking to a camera than talking to a person. Monologues with no feedback aren't exactly my specialty :doh:

edited!

I'll leave this one up for a few days as well.

:popc1:

Last edited:

Auburn

MBTI Type
TiNe
[MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION] - Heya! Sorry for the delay.. thanks for sharing your video. I have to confess you're quite a tricky one for me to identify, but there are still things I can say with some certainty.

I suspect you use the functions: Te-Fi, Ni-Se.

Your use of Te/Fi appears to be aux+tert.
And your use of Ni+Se appears to be dom+inf.
But I'm really not confident enough to say much else.

[MENTION=5578]bologna[/MENTION] - Heya! Again, sorry for the delay.
Your video seems a bit clearer to me.
I suspect you might be Te(Si).

I think at the very least you are a Discernment (T/F) Lead?
You definitely have Ne+Si as your middle two functions.
Your Te seems to be toned-down a bit more than other Te users, but still visible and distinct. You have a fair use of Fi as well.

Last edited:
G

garbage

[MENTION=5578]bologna[/MENTION] - Heya! Again, sorry for the delay.
Your video seems a bit clearer to me.
I suspect you may be Te(Si).

At the very least you are a Discernment (T/F) Lead.
You definitely have Ne+Si as your middle two functions.
Your Te seems to be toned-down a bit more than other Te users, but still visible and distinct. You have a fair use of Fi as well.

What delay? :wink: Thanks for the response!

I try to be as clear as possible in communication, which means presenting ideas directly (and, when possible, tailored to the audience). Te(Si) is an.. interesting typing for me, though it's probably the best way to reconcile a "Je + Ne" approach.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Try this one visually read me.

(link has self destructed.)