• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types attitude towards controversial threads that offend

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On various forums online where there are controversial topics, I've noticed several different types of people:

A. Those who avoid posting or replying to these sorts of threads.

B. Those who don't get involved except to try to smooth over hard feelings or state how they find such threads offensive.

C. Those who do participate in controversial threads but are careful to state things in a way as to minimize offense. They rarely cross the line but if they do offend, they will apologize and find ways to state their opinion that isn't quite so divisive.

D. Those who participate in threads and often cross the line, often unintentionally. They may very passionate in their views or have what they think of as strong arguments. They don't intend to cause offense and will sincerely apologize for doing so, yet often can't help themselves from saying certain things.

E. Those who participate in such threads and often cross the line. Unlike D though, they don't really care if they cause offense to others. Often its because they believe that someone has to say it. These people often think that the offended will just get over it and its not a big deal.

F. Those who deliberately say things that offend other people. There are two subgroups I notice here: Those who are just testing to see how other people react and those who get a perverse pleasure of making people upset. I think people in this category probably have very weak F and are most likely psychologically unhealthy as well.

I've been wondering which types are more prone to which of the above categories? If this sort of thing even is type related. I would guess on the whole that F types are more likely to be concerned about offending others and are more likely to be offended themselves, while T types are more likely to post controversial topics without as much concerning about offending. I think there's alot of variation though. I'm an INTP and I do care about how others will receive such threads. So I'm careful in how I state things. I fall mostly into category C and occasionally into B or D. There are some things others state in ways I feel that are uncalled for. I am closer in the middle on T/F than some of the other T's on here.

How do the other letters come into play? Do you think it's an Fi/Fe thing? Fe might be more concerned with what's socially appropriate while Fi is more in touch with how they personally feel about something. I suppose an Fi type with poorly developed Fe might state something they feel strongly about without much concern for how others might feel about it, but I'm just speculating here.

On a side note............ I just surpassed 3,000 posts!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think it's hard to say for sure because people don't completely occupy a single position - I know I don't.

For me, it does vary a great deal depending on the topic and the argument taking place. Some debate threads I read but don't post in because I don't feel compelled to get involved; either because I don't want the drama of a back and forth argument or I don't feel I have anything meaningful to add or object to. In a way this is contradictory: either there is too much drama or not enough to make me want to post. The problem being that Fi responds more to the negative (ie. what something isn't) rather than the positive (ie. what something is), but at the same time despises conflict. For the most part I like reasonable, rational discussion but I admit to having been obnoxious in the past when I became increasingly frustrated (and wasn't all that apologetic about it either).

A lot of those that fall in your F category are the TPs (particularly EXTPs), who seem to be consistent culprits, inflicting all that Ti nastiness - not that all TPs fit within this mold (you don't SuchIrony, among many others) but it is a common trend. The TJs don't get off the hook either, with their, "My opinion is an entirely objective viewpoint. I can't help you're too stupid to see sense" sort of arguments - which fits more into your E category I suppose. Thinkers in general are often less concerned about feelings and Feelers in general are more concerned, but there are many examples that contradict this theory in reality. And there is value in both positions because if we're all too concerned about being nice and polite we don't get any progress, but if we aren't concerned enough, we also don't get progress.

What I find very odd is that Thinkers believe feelings should be keep out of debates, and yet they are the most inclined to use emotionally provocative language; whereas Feelers believe feelings should be considered, and yet frequently attempt to base debates on calm, measured, rational argument. On the other hand I think Feelers can use passive aggressive remarks in the guise of rational argument, which seems to infuriate the Thinkers.

So I suppose it has as much to do with Ti/Te as well as Fe/Fi.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What I find very odd is that Thinkers believe feelings should be keep out of debates, and yet they are the most inclined to use emotionally provocative language; whereas Feelers believe feelings should be considered, and yet frequently attempt to base debates on calm, measured, rational argument. On the other hand I think Feelers can use passive aggressive remarks in the guise of rational argument, which seems to infuriate the Thinkers.
This observation was made on another forum I used to frequent. I find it odd, but have not done a systematic survey myself so have no evidence one way or another. OTOH, I have been told that I don't do this, and certainly I try not to.

I don't really fit into any of the lettered paragraphs in the OP. I do not hesitate to engage on a controversial topic if I feel I have something worthwhile to add. I try to say my piece without unnecessarily giving offense. By that I mean I don't sugar coat things to make them palatable, but I don't insult, snipe, or gush verbal hyperbole either. I will criticize opinions, but not people. On the few occasions when I have "told someone off" I have done my best to stick to the facts and the actual content of what was posted. If my approach to all this is unpalatable to someone, though, I really don't care. I will apologize if I have based a comment, especially a criticism, on a misunderstanding, or stepped on an emotional landmine of which I was unaware (said something that brought up bad memories, etc.) I suppose all this is consistent with a TJ trying to be forthright but not obnoxious.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just know that I personally get upset when people say or act as though pursuing some some end or goal is fundamentally bad or evil. I react strongly against this kind of talk because the basic implication is that everyone "should" live their life according to said person's ideals or values and it is usually a way of demonizing the other person or suppressing their own unstated basic needs because said person had a bad experience with x ever so long ago 9_9. I think a lot of people overvalue something in their life because they feel that is all they have (to offer?) or because they believe it is impossible to get something else they want. I think this is really damaging to the people who listen to it and then go on to live out the same patterns. This is partially why I find it hard to believe in universals. I think people who do are often "out of touxh" with the experience of individuals whose life experience is very different from their own.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it was interesting that you seemed fairly unbiased in your analysis of the various groups of people, until you got to Group F, #2 group, and then felt the need to say that you thought they were psychologically unhealthy in contrast to all the other groups that you did not have a criticism for.

Do you think any of the other groups you've listed might also possess some psychologically unhealthy traits, or do you think those other behaviors are all benign in nature?

G

garbage

Chalk me up as a C on your lil' list there. There are greater truths buried deep within a sea of controversial statements, limited perspectives, and chaos; and it takes reconciling some supposed paradoxes to find them. If we're going to do that, we need some mediators.

I won't participate in threads that have devolved into a shouting match between two people, because I value actual discussion of those topics. In that case, I'm an A, or sometimes an F if it's going to be fun.

In general, I love controversial topics, because they're the most difficult to make any 'sense' out of. However, when they veer off topic (e.g. into personal attacks), it's pretty clear that further discussion or posting is pointless, because I likely won't learn anything or be heard.

"My opinion is an entirely objective viewpoint. I can't help you're too stupid to see sense"
This is the most hilarious argument in the entire world. I love coming across it, because it's such a great litmus test. It answers the question: do I pay attention to this person because they have something worthy to say, or because they're going to provide me with some entertainment value?

I thought it was interesting that you seemed fairly unbiased in your analysis of the various groups of people, until you got to Group F, #2 group, and then felt the need to say that you thought they were psychologically unhealthy in contrast to all the other groups that you did not have a criticism for.

Do you think any of the other groups you've listed might also possess some psychologically unhealthy traits, or do you think those other behaviors are all benign in nature?
Group B could be seen as sanctimonious and A as avoidant.. but that's all I could see.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess that would make me a D. I used to think I was more badass than that. You ruined it.

Anyways, let me make a blatantly typist attempt:
A. Those who avoid posting or replying to these sorts of threads.
En 2s an En 9s.

B. Those who don't get involved except to try to smooth over hard feelings or state how they find such threads offensive.
En 4s

C. Those who do participate in controversial threads but are careful to state things in a way as to minimize offense. They rarely cross the line but if they do offend, they will apologize and find ways to state their opinion that isn't quite so divisive.
FJs

D. Those who participate in threads and often cross the line, often unintentionally. They may very passionate in their views or have what they think of as strong arguments. They don't intend to cause offense and will sincerely apologize for doing so, yet often can't help themselves from saying certain things.
FPs

E. Those who participate in such threads and often cross the line. Unlike D though, they don't really care if they cause offense to others. Often its because they believe that someone has to say it. These people often think that the offended will just get over it and its not a big deal.
INTJs

F. Those who deliberately say things that offend other people. There are two subgroups I notice here: Those who are just testing to see how other people react and those who get a perverse pleasure of making people upset. I think people in this category probably have very weak F and are most likely psychologically unhealthy as well.
sx first

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Don't F with the Fs!

over-the-top-movie.jpg

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This observation was made on another forum I used to frequent. I find it odd, but have not done a systematic survey myself so have no evidence one way or another. OTOH, I have been told that I don't do this, and certainly I try not to.
I think that Ts are less aware of when they are being emotionally provocative - it can be intentional or unintentional but not always totally conscious (if that makes sense). This is not to undermine Thinkers' self-awareness entirely though, or to assume that all behave obnoxiously and frequently so. I speak only in very general terms and I think maturity can be a factor in all this. I'm also aware of Feelers occasionally reading provocation in the words of Thinkers were there is none. And Feelers change with maturity too; often becoming less placative and more blunt as they age. So the issue is complicated.

In my understanding the reason it happens is the Feelers are concerned about hurting others so they try to use a more detached and measured form of debate; they see the dangers of the minefield and therefore attempt tread carefully. Thinkers are less concerned about potentially hurting others (either because they don't see how the things they say could be hurtful or they don't see a problem with it) so they will use a wider range of methods to get their point across; they are more willing to march headlong into the minefield because if things blow up it will be more truthful and accurate (as with TPs) or it's just the natural course of things (as with TJs).

This is the most hilarious argument in the entire world. I love coming across it, because it's such a great litmus test. It answers the question: do I pay attention to this person because they have something worthy to say, or because they're going to provide me with some entertainment value?
I wish I was that at ease with it - it irritates the hell out of me. It's not enough for me to know someone's being ridiculous, I want them to see that they're being ridiculous. :D

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
En 4s

FPs
What about those that are both 4 and FP? :thinking:

G

garbage

I wish I was that at ease with it - it irritates the hell out of me. It's not enough for me to know someone's being ridiculous, I want them to see that they're being ridiculous. :D
I would love for that to happen, too. Unfortunately, words over an Internet forum will not lead them to change their worldview--since its self-serving and selective nature is the problem in the first place. Really, it's better to wash your hands and allow life experience punch them in the dick.

I have years of experience working with technical folks, including engineers, scientists, Ph.D.s, postdocs, etc.; many of them take on a similar 'objective-thinking' mentality, yet they fall for the same psychological biases that affect absolutely everyone else. It's even worse because they refuse to believe that they're biased. Their certainty is an admirable and useful quality in their areas of expertise, but that same certainty is ridiculous and pathetic when carried over into life in general.

:popc1:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION]/all: i've noticed es types are often very blunt and say things that others disagree with as well esp. when younger. Usually they seem to believe something along the lines of "If you can't hack it get out of the way." I think this is also intentionally done to remove more sensitive types from their social circles who they do not view as motivated/heading in the same place in life/wanting to be successful

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't participate because normally I don't really have a strict idea of what is "right" and "wrong". It's all in shades of gray and ultimately doesn't really matter in the grander scheme of things. I like posts that broaden my views and challenge my beliefs, whether I agree with them or not and I would join in if I have extra information or a different viewpoint to contribute. I'm passionate about certain issues, but I can also see why someone with an opposite viewpoint would be passionate about their opinions, so most of the time I find it futile to argue.

(Unless someone is clearly bashing a certain type or group of people out of prejudice, then my blood boils and I have to step in)

Maybe I'm an 9? :huh:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about those that are both 4 and FP? :thinking:
They keep alternating, depending on their mood.
One day they are all :bunnyglee: (C), and on the other day they're all :bitchfest::emot-emo::girlfight: (E).
:burns:
On a more serious note, I'm talking more their tendencies to go there. E and F are unsustainable behaviors (''ban me plx''), so it's hard to adopt them as standard.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my understanding the reason it happens is the Feelers are concerned about hurting others so they try to use a more detached and measured form of debate; they see the dangers of the minefield and therefore attempt tread carefully. Thinkers are less concerned about potentially hurting others (either because they don't see how the things they say could be hurtful or they don't see a problem with it) so they will use a wider range of methods to get their point across; they are more willing to march headlong into the minefield because if things blow up it will be more truthful and accurate (as with TPs) or it's just the natural course of things (as with TJs).
Your description of Ts is sound. This is part of what I meant by not being intentionally hurtful, but not being willing to pussyfoot around the subjective and often unknown sensitivities of the various members. I indeed cannot understand how so many people find certain comments offensive, but neither can I deny that they do.

A

Anew Leaf

I don't usually participate because I don't see any point in doing so. The religious threads, as an example... What is the point? It's just a bunch of people yammering at each other, convinced that they are right. No one is going to change their mind on a personal belief based on a debate on an online forum.

I only have so much energy to use with the outside world and I prefer it be used on something that can be worthwhile.... like being silly. :biggrin:

I am INFP 4wAmazing.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think people would fall under different letters depending on what the topic is, and how it hits them.

If someone feels incredibly attached to a certain argument for whatever reason - religion, ethics, personal experience, etc. - then they are less likely to prioritize social harmony over their viewpoint.

And Fe users will probably feel like there is more benefit to presenting your idea in an appealing way, even if it is not complete disclosure, while Fi users will probably feel like there is more benefit to speaking your personal truth, even if it is unappealing to some. Te users will probably feel like there is more benefit to getting a point across efficiently, while Ti users will probably feel like there is more benefit to making sure an idea is understood correctly. Ps will also probably assume it is an ongoing discussion while Js will be more likely to press towards conclusion. Accordingly, TPs seem the most comfortable with extended controversial debate; FJs, the least.

And each of the enneatypes will lean on their number to facilitate self-protection - I have seen 9s attempt to take over and shut down entire discussion topics because the conclusions were not to their liking.

F.2's probably just tend to be trolls.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you forgot option G... posts in the thread just for the pure joy of making fun of those participating in the thread and making a mockery of all things held good and holy by the people who are arguing back and forth, for example, discussing penises :cheese:

otherwise, it just depends on the topic and whether I think that the other posters are being melodramatic and silly or not... they usually are and it makes me laugh :laugh:... if it's a topic I actually care about I will participate in earnest and it depends as to how I deal with my level of offensiveness on the topic :shrug:

G

garbage

you forgot option G... posts in the thread just for the pure joy of making fun of those participating in the thread and making a mockery of all things held good and holy by the people who are arguing back and forth, for example, discussing penises :cheese:
Yeah, this is closer to what I meant by my own 'F'. When a thread has becomes a pissing contest, it's just more productive to make a mockery of the whole thing by talking about penises.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, this is closer to what I meant by my own 'F'. When a thread has becomes a pissing contest, it's just more productive to make a mockery of the whole thing by talking about penises.

and somehow that option is delightfully liberating in a strange way! :wubbie: :laugh:

... though sometimes pictures of boobs are just as powerful in thread disruption :ninja: