• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why ENxx types frequently mistype as introverts

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm... how would you differentiate this and an E-type 6 though? 6's don't feel comfortable relying on themselves for answers, so they look externally for answers. And I can assure you, I'm an introvert AND a Type 6.

It's really not that I'm uncomfortable relying on myself, it's more that I'm fuzzy as to what I'm thinking without bouncing it off of an external source. After I do that, I'm fine running with it. I don't need approval from a second person, in fact, usually people get upset that I ask what they think and don't take their advice. I think this is a common complaint against ENFPs.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm... how would you differentiate this and an E-type 6 though? 6's don't feel comfortable relying on themselves for answers, so they look externally for answers. And I can assure you, I'm an introvert AND a Type 6.

6w7s look externally for answers; 6w5s tend to withdraw inward for answers

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
n fact, usually people get upset that I ask what they think and don't take their advice. I think this is a common complaint against ENFPs.

But I do this too, though! I think this is a 6 thing, too.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
...because people who are actually introverted (probably ISFJ or ISFP) are mistyping as the ENxx types. The rest can be explained by people being depressed, socially isolated, etc.,

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...because people who are actually introverted (probably ISFJ or ISFP) are mistyping as the ENxx types. The rest can be explained by people being depressed, socially isolated, etc.,

Like those who self type as ISFJ and ISFP who are really ENxx.... too bad we never hear about them.

Permabanned
YyLSB.jpg

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not necessarily. 5's do this.

I'll rephrase
6w7s look for external reassurance
6w5s and 5s look for external data which they then take inward and introspect on (the archetypal conspiracy theorist for instance is probably an IN?J 6w5).

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll rephrase
6w7s look for external reassurance
6w5s and 5s look for external data which they then take inward and introspect on (the archetypal conspiracy theorist for instance is probably an IN?J 6w5).

Then what's the difference between 5 and 6w5?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Then what's the difference between 5 and 6w5?

I honestly couldn't tell you, they're a lot alike (I'm not much studied on 5s)

Little_Sticks

I'd agree with you, except for the fact that the act of externalizing doesn't also help me learn better, it also allows me to figure out what I feel or think about things. It's not just about learning a new concept. As it is.. things outside myself feel real, things in my head feel malleable and nebulous. I need to establish some sort of feedback loop to be able to make an impression on myself.

Yeah, right; you're wording this better. That's what I meant that supposedly externalizing our thoughts helps to understand them, whether or not that has to do with certain kinds of feelings or whatever. It does for me, but I consider myself highly introverted (in a healthy sense), so I just wanted to make that point so we don't assume things that aren't true.

Little_Sticks

excelent question! do MBTI types diverse in their prefered learning methods?

I don't know what to say...

I tend to think introverts are more cautious and need more assurance that they aren't going to be put on the spot or turned into a debating match.
Extroverts don't seem to mind, perhaps preferring more direct and confrontational approaches? I've never really thought about this, so I don't expect this to make sense or be at all correct. What would you say?

G

garbage

Oh, and this too. :)

Oh, and something else. I learn iteratively through an emergent process.

Let me think about something, go off and implement a part of it (or otherwise see it out of my head, such as in a graph or in a map), think about it some more, implement more of it, and so on.

:popc1:

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Actually this has been so insightful. The ONLY reason that I believe I could possibly be introverted is one that you managed to nail... I feel the most unconnected within group conversations. More so in sensor groups consisting a lot of "where, what, when, how" dialogue, but they also can be most humorous. :D

I initially typed myself as INFP when I joined this site, thinking that I was smarter than the test which persisted as ENFP lol.

S

Society

Yeah, right; you're wording this better. That's what I meant that supposedly externalizing our thoughts helps to understand them, whether or not that has to do with certain kinds of feelings or whatever. It does for me, but I consider myself highly introverted (in a healthy sense), so I just wanted to make that point so we don't assume things that aren't true.

in what way are you introverted?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Oh, and something else. I learn iteratively through an emergent process.

Let me think about something, go off and implement a part of it (or otherwise see it out of my head, such as in a graph or in a map), think about it some more, implement more of it, and so on.

:popc1:

That applies to me, aswell, and I'm ENTJ...in fact I hate when I have to deal with a job/situation where I need to do everything right from the start by following an extremely specific and detailed procedure.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That applies to me, aswell, and I'm ENTJ...in fact I hate when I have to deal with a job/situation where I need to do everything right from the start by following an extremely specific and detailed procedure.

that's because you're a 7

G

garbage

Yeah. I figure that if you don't get feedback from the real world and adjust accordingly, your plans may be headed off in some terrible direction as the world smacks you down.

I like planning, starting from the general and delving into specifics, but we've gotta be adaptable in the execution of those plans because some specifics simply may not work. To dictate them upfront is absolutely absurd in many contexts. Down the line, their purposes become lost; they become mere checkboxes to check off and they are not connected to their original point.

Also, for me, it's easier for me to think, learn, and plan when I've got stimulus around me--my charts, graphs, plans, running programs, etc. that I've halfway implemented. They give me feedback and engage many different parts of my brain.

Little_Sticks

in what way are you introverted?

I'd say it's true that the more sanely insane I become, the more extroverted I become, but I think it's more due to having enough answers to things that I don't feel the need to introvert as much anymore.
Extroversion isn't that natural for me though either; I've spent a great deal of time adjusting my mind to being okay with it, which introversion and philosophy in particular has helped readjust beliefs and misconceptions about myself and the world; maybe in that sense, it's still extraversion, regardless. But it requires more focus than I would like. But perhaps that too doesn't really matter. Maybe this is the limit of using Jung's analytical types on something that it isn't intended to explain. Or maybe Jung would call this sort of thing a persona; I don't know.

Why? You think I should reconsider my position on extroversion? I'm never really decided on anything, just for the record; if I write like I am, it's just me following the standard, tl;dr, lazy formality of communication. I see inconsistencies and feel they need to be accounted for, otherwise it just feels like everyone is wearing a mask and doing what they believe best; perhaps that is the greatest truth, the dance of the divine.

Anyway, have any thoughts on how to clarify what I perceive as inconsistent?