• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Processing During Vs After Conversations

Silveresque

I recently realized that I do most of my processing and interpreting when I'm alone after the conversation has ended, compared with an e5 who told me he's constantly analyzing and interpreting for hidden meanings. I'm often not aware of what I think or feel about the conversation until later on when I replay it in my head. It's kind of annoying because I tend to miss things, like not realizing that someone had misinterpreted what I said until later for instance.

When I do try to process while the person is talking, I run the risk of zoning out and missing half the conversation. It's like I can't be in the conversation and be in my thoughts at the same time.

Could this be something type related, or is it just me?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recently realized that I do most of my processing and interpreting when I'm alone after the conversation has ended, compared with an e5 who told me he's constantly analyzing and interpreting for hidden meanings. I'm often not aware of what I think or feel about the conversation until later on when I replay it in my head. It's kind of annoying because I tend to miss things, like not realizing that someone had misinterpreted what I said until later for instance.

When I do try to process while the person is talking, I run the risk of zoning out and missing half the conversation. It's like I can't be in the conversation and be in my thoughts at the same time.

Could this be something type related, or is it just me?

I'm actually just like this. However, I'm not exactly sure how or if this is type-related, but I think this something to be with being an Fi-dom? Or perhaps just being an introvert in general. :shrug:

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do my best to anticipate different ways the conversation could go and do the bulk of my processing before it even happens (assuming I have some prior knowledge of the topic). Then it's easier to keep up and interpret by comparing what's happening to what I predicted. I'm not fond of completely spontaneous conversations where I have little or no time to lay down groundwork and get my thoughts in order, but I can process on the spot. It just isn't ideal.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do both during and after. Usually not before. When stressed I may anticipate different paths, but its not my norm.

G

garbage

Almost always during and after. I look for meanings everywhere, and I can't help but carry that line of thinking after a conversation.

Sometimes, my thought patterns during a conversation do distract me to the point of no longer paying attention :doh:

If the conversation is heated, though, I'd rather us go off on our own, cool down, process, and come back and talk about it.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What people generally tell me... I think to much.

I generally process both during and after the conversation (can also add before the conversation if you want.) During the processing is my initial thoughts while the post-processing are usually my afterthoughts.

My afterthoughts (and thoughts before the conversation) are generally more neat and concise, but that is because there is just more time to be processing information.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I tend to do both but the bulk of analysis comes when I am alone.

G

Ginkgo

How is it possible to subsequently process information if you never processed it before? Do you just take events at face value to plumb them for significance after? Both are processing.

I analyze on the fly because the way I view people tends to complement how I come to conclusions. I don't need to think about it very much after the fact unless I'm talking about it later and reflecting with someone else. Usually, thinking alone about it leads me to insert assumptions; those assumptions tend to just amount to what I want to believe or products of insecurities. Only if I have some solid beliefs in the first place will I be able to come to conclusions later on once I add everything up. Gauging people's responses in subtle ways and observing usually gives me the best results.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How is it possible to subsequently process information if you never processed it before? Do you just take events at face value to plumb them for significance after? Both are processing.

I analyze on the fly because the way I view people tends to complement how I come to conclusions. I don't need to think about it very much after the fact unless I'm talking about it later and reflecting with someone else. Usually, thinking alone about it leads me to insert assumptions; those assumptions tend to just amount to what I want to believe or products of insecurities. Only if I have some solid beliefs in the first place will I be able to come to conclusions later on once I add everything up. Gauging people's responses in subtle ways and observing usually gives me the best results.

Thats how I am with tests...if I read the question and dont know the answer I pick my best educated guess. I dont spend much time thinking about it. Sometimes its nothing morer then...C sounds good since I havnt used it much yet. I am usually the first to finish a test. When it comes to people though I do alot of processing after the fact.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Um, yeah, both I guess. How else can you tell if someone is lying to your face, or trying to get one over on you? Or whatever other indirect message they're sending, consciously or unconsciously?

Of course, afterwards is usually when I take time to think about why they did or said something (if it wasn't completely obvious at the time, which it usually is.)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do it while the conversation is going(listen while interpreting, think, talk) and aim for not having the need to process it later.