• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does SJ vs SP account for gender bias?

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
As an answer to "The Differences Between Men and Women" thread, I thought it would be nice to estimate how much of the cultural gender bias is merely a SJ vs SP transposition to genders.

In other words, how much of gender stereotypes can be attributed to differences between SJ and SP?

Is the female stereotype equivalent in many ways to Keirsey's cooperative tool use temperaments (SJ and NF) and is the male stereotype equivalent in many ways to Keirsey's utilitarian tool use temperaments (SP and NT)?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Interesting thought. Females in traditional (Western at least) society are encouraged to tow the line, be compliant and orderly. Wash the dishes, and organise the household. All very SJ tendencies.
Men are encouraged to play sports, fix things, go out and labour for a living. Mid life crisis, and all. All very SP tendencies.
Both somewhat overtaken by recent decades, but only to a limited extent.

I wonder whether these flow from our culture, the culture flows from our type or the two are inextricably linked.

Hmm.

-Geoff

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know. I still don't think we can over-emphasize the impact of hormones (and other physical elements) on behavior. The nesting sequence in females contributes more "SJ" tendencies, even to non-SJ women; the "gaming" behavior that occurs in males (where the males compete for sport) appears in many species besides human beings and is more "SP" in nature. Offhand, I would say the biggest different between SJ and SP males in the sports world seems to be how "serious" they take it and how quickly they can turn it on or shut it off; the SJ tends to draw strong demarcations between playtime and worktime and are usually serious/somber about play (they can almost make play into "work"), whereas for the SP, they are always in "play" mode even when working.

It's very difficult, obviously to disentangle the mess that is human behavior, considering from how many interacting sources it stems from and how complicated behavior is and how there is also the nefarious "will" involved to counter standard ingrained instincts.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Is the female stereotype equivalent in many ways to Keirsey's cooperative tool use temperaments (SJ and NF) and is the male stereotype equivalent in many ways to Keirsey's utilitarian tool use temperaments (SP and NT)?
I think you can go further back than temperament to make this assertion. Read Jung's original descriptions of the type functions and he even shows a gender bias toward Fe, Fi and Ne being female traits. He may have implied that there were more functions geared toward certain genders, but those are the only three I can recall right off. I am unsure of the SJ temperament, since the banking and insurance industries continue to be controlled by SJ males.