• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could I have mixed Ti and Te?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm trying to see these functions with a new mindset, so I won't repeat any old adages about them.

Instead, I started to think what a huge disparity I have in my ability to memorize "doable" (Te?) items as opposed to everything else. Is Te about doing, and is interest about doing "Te"?

1. I remember almost all the paths and places I've ever been to in my life. I can find my way. Still, Give me a random map, and I'll struggle to remember as little as 3 names and 2 landmarks.
  2. I meet a guy named Joe and he tells of his girlfriend Anna. I forget both their names the minute after. A friend tells that a problem can be solved with a Shroedinger equation, and I remember the name ever after.
  3. It reads on a book that a guy named this and that was a governor of some piece of land some ages ago. I forget the whole thing in an instant, and go on to learn how to calculate the greatest common divisor of two numbers.

Is this about interest? Motivation? Ability? Preference? Learning style, as in auditory, visual or kinesthetic? I can give more examples if needed.. I am just not sure if I have a clue.

I just got the idea that perhaps what I've thought of as Ti-like "analysis" thinking where I excel at, has actually been Te-like "do-it" thinking .. as it would be for an ENFP and ENTJ, for example.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*is puzzled by anecdote*

How does Te relate to memory? It's been well studied that memory for things improves if you can link it to things you already know... I don't think it has anything to do with Te... if anything wouldn't you say it's Si/Ni? Si for recall... Ni for linking "unrelated" things together.

Have to agree with you that Te is about "doing things". Solve the problem, accomplish the task in the most efficient way possible. Everything else that doesn't relate to the task at hand is junk to be tossed out and ignored.

You can have a mix of Ti and Te... even I have a mix of the two... and I'm a F. ;)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ti works on activity too. Its formulations are used in the world by Pe.

It's why ISTP have good control over tools or anything really. Ti figures out the precise formula necessary for their Se to move fluidly and to accomplish some end.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Si being recall would make sense, since I can't remember things like my old address, or names/dates and Si is my lowest score.

Ti with tools etc could explain the constant "You're an ISTP not an INFP" that I get from people.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
How does Te relate to memory? It's been well studied that memory for things improves if you can link it to things you already know... I don't think it has anything to do with Te... if anything wouldn't you say it's Si/Ni? Si for recall... Ni for linking "unrelated" things together.
Perhaps I don't remember logical things any better. Perhaps it's just easier to fill in the gaps in logical subjects, because you can tell whether you've got it right or not ..
Ti works on activity too. Its formulations are used in the world by Pe.

It's why ISTP have good control over tools or anything really. Ti figures out the precise formula necessary for their Se to move fluidly and to accomplish some end.
That's part of what got me confused. Is there any kind of thinking that can't be an activity? Calculating the value of a well-defined mathematical function sounds like a classical Ti activity to me, but how is that different from classical Te? How would one put that in a definition?

But yeah, introverted judging function and an extraverted perceiving function CAN have something as a result that resembles extreverted judging. But this is unknown territory for me.
Si being recall would make sense, since I can't remember things like my old address, or names/dates and Si is my lowest score.

Ti with tools etc could explain the constant "You're an ISTP not an INFP" that I get from people.
I don't get the latter part :)

I just thought of Si would remember anything, and other functions could help in remembering things that work a certain way :huh: But that's just a hunch I have.

How it works, that's what I'm trying to find out :)

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Te is more planning and organizing, as well as noticing when somethings missing.

Ti is more analyzing and figuring out what it is thats missing.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
Te is usually more "controlling" in nature than Ti, but the difference is hard to completely explain. Te in general is a J-ish function, while Ti is more P.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
That's part of what got me confused. Is there any kind of thinking that can't be an activity? Calculating the value of a well-defined mathematical function sounds like a classical Ti activity to me, but how is that different from classical Te? How would one put that in a definition?

Both introverted and extroverted thinking are not limited to activity. Ti is better at it 'cause it doesn't prefer the world, where activity takes place.

You have to remember though, we're human, in a physical world. We have to act. If we don't, we die.

A lot of people think Ti doesn't make plans. That's not true. It does. It makes different plans than Te. Te prefers schedules marked by time or numbers, because they're objects. Ti has its own formulations, from which it doesn't stray. If the objects change, the overall network is mended to fit with the object information, so one can plan around those objects. Te uses the objects to make the plans. That's why E_TJs are often regarded as controlling etc. They schedule and micromanage people.