• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

satisfying N-S conversation

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I can't converse with anyone until they've taken the test. Hell i have to adapt my style of communication to the individual so not knowing if they are an S or N well, i'm screwed :doh:

More seriously .. No, it's not a big deal. I talk to S's and N's with ease IRL and enjoy the perspectives each give to the conversation.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ii am curious about the reverse. People pinning someone as a sensor because of communication issues or vice versa.

Jaguar

I can't converse with anyone until they've taken the test. Hell i have to adapt my style of communication to the individual so not knowing if they are an S or N well, i'm screwed

I'm the same way. I actually carry a test with me at all times, and eagerly await their results so I know which words I can use when they speak to me.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
People pinning someone as a sensor because of communication issues or vice versa.

I suspect this is happening a lot here, and it's usually a so-called N pegging someone as an S. Or, actually, a so-called N pegging someone else as an N because they have rapport. It's rarely, if ever, a self-proclaimed S pegging someone as N because they "speak too theoretically" or some such nonsense.

G

Ginkgo

I suspect this is happening a lot here, and it's usually a so-called N pegging someone as an S. Or, actually, a so-called N pegging someone else as an N because they have rapport. It's rarely, if ever, a self-proclaimed S pegging someone as N because they "speak too theoretically" or some such nonsense.

That should embarrass the Ns.

gromit

likes this
Common interests, humor, honesty. These are things that make for enjoyable conversation.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I will say most of my deep connections come from illustrious conversations with N's, but there is no denying the absolute rich instinct of an S's ability to live in the moment, uninhibited by imaginary doubt. Even ISFP's, with their Introverted-Perceiving attributes, still react heavily on their senses and are often known to be very good athletes. Sensors live a "practical" life and are more comfortable manipulating constituents than the big idea itself. So they certainly live closer to their word than we Intuitives do.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
there is no denying the absolute rich instinct of an S's ability to live in the moment, uninhibited by imaginary doubt.

Is it even possible to "live in the moment"? After all, as it takes a moment for our brains to process things, it may well be true that we experience things a fraction of a second later than they actually happened.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Is it even possible to "live in the moment"? After all, as it takes a moment for our brains to process things, it may well be true that we experience things a fraction of a second later than they actually happened.
No I think it's what makes meditation a celebrated skill everyone could and should employ (types aside), to regain our focus and live life more delicately. ;)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will say most of my deep connections come from illustrious conversations with N's, but there is no denying the absolute rich instinct of an S's ability to live in the moment, uninhibited by imaginary doubt. Even ISFP's, with their Introverted-Perceiving attributes, still react heavily on their senses and are often known to be very good athletes. Sensors live a "practical" life and are more comfortable manipulating constituents than the big idea itself. So they certainly live closer to their word than we Intuitives do.

So the second part thats bolded pretty much knocks the validity of the first :D Is the whole N thing in your head or is it real?

Hopefully an S manipulates you into thinking he is an N ;)

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
So the second part thats bolded pretty much knocks the validity of the first :D Is the whole N thing in your head or is it real?

To an N, the abstract is just as real as the tangible picture. I mean, if you were to really analyse it, language in itself is an abstract device that's not at all tangible, but we still use communication as a real equivalent to how we portray ourselves.

It's not easy being a hypocrite and seeing the big picture all at once. I feel sensors can be aware of the big picture, but not so much entirely grasp the gravity of the information or their influence on it, while I think Intuitives connect information and by that accountability, FEEL like a part of that systematic problem or solution.

In no way am I trying to undermine a Sensors capabilities; if anything I could use more Sensor friends to be grounded and focus one task at a time instead of solving an infinite enigma or political agendas. I envy their scrupulous, refined exertion to be skilled at what they do.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To an N, the abstract is just as real as the tangible picture. I mean, if you were to really analyse it, language in itself is an abstract device that's not at all tangible, but we still use communication as a real equivalent to how we portray ourselves.

It's not easy being a hypocrite and seeing the big picture all at once. I feel sensors can be aware of the big picture, but not so much entirely grasp the gravity of the information or their influence on it, while I think Intuitives connect information and by that accountability, FEEL like a part of that systematic problem or solution.

In no way am I trying to undermine a Sensors capabilities; if anything I could use more Sensor friends to be grounded and focus one task at a time instead of solving an infinite enigma or political agendas. I envy their scrupulous, refined exertion to be skilled at what they do.

I see that with Dom N mostly, but not with secondary, tertiary Ns. So is there really an S/N devide? or is it only among Dom N vs Dom S? I was raised with Ns and have no issues what soever maintaining a satisfying conversation. Especially with Dom Ni. Its only when I want to be argumentative for the sake of getting a point across or something is it no longer enjoyable for dom Ni, but Dom Ne is different.

I dont think that the N/S devide really plays much of a role at all except at the extremes.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I see that with Dom N mostly, but not with secondary, tertiary Ns. So is there really an S/N devide? or is it only among Dom N vs Dom S? I was raised with Ns and have no issues what soever maintaining a satisfying conversation. Especially with Dom Ni. Its only when I want to be argumentative for the sake of getting a point across or something is it no longer enjoyable for dom Ni, but Dom Ne is different.

I dont think that the N/S devide really plays much of a role at all except at the extremes.
Yes I agree it's very unhealthy to be so extreme. :ack!:
It's cool to converse with people who understand how Myers work because you'd have to require some Ne function to see patterns in other people. I could never have a subject like this in person because I just don't know anyone who understands it to the extent I do. That's why I joined this site. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes I agree it's very unhealthy to be so extreme. :ack!:
It's cool to converse with people who understand how Myers work because you'd have to require some Ne function to see patterns in other people. I could never have a subject like this in person because I just don't know anyone who understands it to the extent I do. That's why I joined this site. :)

I see patterns, i just dont focus on patterns much at all. With me its more that peoples traits remind me of other people. Thats how my patterns are noticed. More so visually in a sensory manner.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

genius :laugh:

perhaps it is a dom thing. i honestly have a hard time having lasting, meaningful-to-me conversation with certain S people sometimes. but my Ne is off the charts, so perhaps it's not surprising. i assume they feel like i am pretty slow when it comes to understanding the basic fundamentals of the world, too.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
perhaps it is a dom thing. i honestly have a hard time having lasting, meaningful-to-me conversation with certain S people sometimes. but my Ne is off the charts, so perhaps it's not surprising. i assume they feel like i am pretty slow when it comes to understanding the basic fundamentals of the world, too.

From my experience (I am ISTP, I just feel like claiming eSTP as thats who I want to be as it makes me happy, hence the little e) My meaning ful conversations with Ns dont normally last very long. The meaningful usually comes out pretty quick. Dont know why, thats just how it has always worked for me.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
From my experience (I am ISTP, I just feel like claiming eSTP as thats who I want to be as it makes me happy, hence the little e) My meaning ful conversations with Ns dont normally last very long. The meaningful usually comes out pretty quick. Dont know why, thats just how it has always worked for me.

that's an interesting observation. do you tend to have longer meaningful conversations with other Ss?

i think perhaps i have an assumption that a conversation must be rather long to be meaningful, but i suppose there is no real reason for that.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had what seemed to be long meaningful conversations with S types, but I think sometimes in retrospect it turned out that I'd simply invested a lot of the "meaningfulness" myself (and they probably saw it as interesting, but not very meaningful.)

I've learned the hard way that someone who has what seems to be a long meaningful conversation with you may simply be thinking of you as a curiosity and not much else.

However, I think the same could occur with an N-N conversation. I don't think N-N is automatically going to be meaningful...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had what seemed to be long meaningful conversations with S types, but I think sometimes in retrospect it turned out that I'd simply invested a lot of the "meaningfulness" myself (and they probably saw it as interesting, but not very meaningful.)

I've learned the hard way that someone who has what seems to be a long meaningful conversation with you may simply be thinking of you as a curiosity and not much else.

However, I think the same could occur with an N-N conversation. I don't think N-N is automatically going to be meaningful...

Curiosity for some types is a good thing and can be better then meaningful for that person. Sometimes with those types the meaningful comes later. Kinda like a delayed response.