• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type, Memorization, and Concepts

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Straight up memorization is required in some areas, though. Language, for example, requires a lot of memorization, and there's not really an "understanding" component once you already know the grammar and you're just trying to learn vocabulary.

I don't think the problem is with memorization per se (since memory is obviously a component of learning), but rather with rote methods of achieving memorization. For instance, with languages, one commits new words to memory primarily through writing, reading, and speaking on a regular basis (i.e., through use.) Flahscards with words on them, OTOH, are simply not effective at all for some people, and when they are effective, a lot of the time it's only for short term deployment on exams or some other abstracted measure of "learning."

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think the problem is with memorization per se (since memory is obviously a component of learning), but rather with rote methods of achieving memorization. For instance, with languages, one commits new words to memory primarily through writing, reading, and speaking on a regular basis (i.e., through use.) Flahscards with words on them, OTOH, are simply not effective at all for some people, and when they are effective, a lot of the time it's only for short term deployment on exams or some other abstracted measure of "learning."

I think in language you just have to do everything: flash cards, in-context-usage, writing, reading, the whole shebang. Even the stuff that doesn't "work well for you". Language learning is fucking hard, and it's best to make as many connections as possible.

Usehername

On a mission
Personally, your division isn't really helpful to describe the way I learn. I'm not sure why, since it's a sensible one.

I can't figure out languages for the life of me, regardless of the methods I use to try to learn them. I just routinely suck at them in the way that some are routinely suck at math, and it doesn't seem to be correlated to methods or effort.

I find humanities disciplines and science disciplines relatively easy to learn. I get the concepts first and then usually case-study something in detail to nail it down. After you get the concept plus one detailed example, it's pretty easy to deal with whatever else gets thrown at you on the topic.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I learn large concept easier than the name of this concept, no matter how simple the name is, unless i can associate it with something i already know.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think in language you just have to do everything: flash cards, in-context-usage, writing, reading, the whole shebang. Even the stuff that doesn't "work well for you". Language learning is fucking hard, and it's best to make as many connections as possible.

I think in language you just have to do everything that works for you personally, which may or may not involve a lot of rote memorization. That is, unless you're in some sort of class in which short-term memorization of long lists of words is necessary to passing.