• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"unalligned" to any type

Shasjas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i have established that I am an INFP, but my friend and I are now trying to find out what type he is. The problem is he doesnt seem to be any type. none of the type descriptions fit him very well, many of them have snippets of things that are him, and the rest wont be. he also scores around 50% on any tests that i give him, as in it says:

Extraverted (E) 54% Introverted (I) 46%
Sensing (S) 73% Intuitive (N) 27%
Thinking (T) 55% Feeling (F) 45%
Judging (J) 55% Perceiving (P) 45%

The results show he is very "unaligned" to any of the functions, other than sensing (i know there not the actual functions but i dont know what to call them) as he is within 5% of the completely unaligned mark of 50% for them.

I realize that nobody fits there type exactly, but most people can be pretty sure of what type they are.

so what is he? is this where the MBTI falls flat?

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i have established that I am an INFP, but my friend and I are now trying to find out what type he is. The problem is he doesnt seem to be any type. none of the type descriptions fit him very well, many of them have snippets of things that are him, and the rest wont be. he also scores around 50% on any tests that i give him, as in it says:

Extraverted (E) 54% Introverted (I) 46%
Sensing (S) 73% Intuitive (N) 27%
Thinking (T) 55% Feeling (F) 45%
Judging (J) 55% Perceiving (P) 45%

The results show he is very "unaligned" to any of the functions, other than sensing (i know there not the actual functions but i dont know what to call them) as he is within 5% of the completely unaligned mark of 50% for them.

I realize that nobody fits there type exactly, but most people can be pretty sure of what type they are.

so what is he? is this where the MBTI falls flat?

i have pretty much exactly same thing but with intuition.

i guess, some people learn to suppress their primary function through unstable childhood and become entirely too dependent on their sense or intuition.

some people can be themselves their childhood, will have clear type due that.

but years of being looked down upon by your family for your primary function forces you to change yourself, as childs are supposed to do that.. _before_ they learn a primary function, but some parents are too careless to do it before they reach that point, which is why i think im deep down infp even though surroundings forced me to abandon feelings.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The way these scales are shown in MBTI is flawed, also questionaire like this is the wrong way to suggest type(the test only suggests type, it doesent tell your type, it gives rating on how likely it is to be E or I, S or N etc.), especially when it doesent require a professional to go through on determing type after test anymore.

So yea MBTI sucks, even tho jungs typology(which its based on or is some version for dummies of it) itself doesent.

Shasjas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The way these scales are shown in MBTI is flawed, also questionaire like this is the wrong way to suggest type(the test only suggests type, it doesent tell your type, it gives rating on how likely it is to be E or I, S or N etc.), especially when it doesent require a professional to go through on determing type after test anymore.

So yea MBTI sucks, even tho jungs typology(which its based on or is some version for dummies of it) itself doesent.

i was looking at the descriptions of types as well, not just doing tests. as i said, my friend seems to have snippets of the descriptions for some types, and the rest will not be what he is like. i guess its just the MBTI sucking then.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I can understand the frustration it can cause.

Having brought several books on the subject trying desperately to align myself with one particular type to no avail after x years, i've resigned myself to the fact that people will have their opinions and i'm just me, with all my neurotic and hedonistic tendencies coupled with calm and a somewhat rational mind, lol.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i was looking at the descriptions of types as well, not just doing tests. as i said, my friend seems to have snippets of the descriptions for some types, and the rest will not be what he is like. i guess its just the MBTI sucking then.

Type descriptions are about stereotypical people of that type, not many fit them and also find that they partially fit to some other descriptions too. In other words type descriptions usually suck too.

Learn about functions, how they work together, about persona, how undeveloped functions work and about your self.

G

garbage

Yeah, if the MBTI type descriptions doesn't tell him what he needs, perhaps the function descriptions will. Based on this limited info, my guess for him would be ESxP.

I would first start with Extraverted Sensation (Se) and contrast it with Extraverted Intuition (Ne) (to further solidify that Se resonates with him). If Se works, then look at Introverted Feeling (Fi); if Fi doesn't fit at all, see if Introverted Thinking (Ti) does. If Se doesn't work, then.. well, look at Introverted Sensing (Si) first, then at Te and Fe.

Broad descriptions to start with might be these. Better, more thorough descriptions can be found here.

But then again, it depends on how much he wants to bother with all of this. :)

I was never sure of my type. It's been a pretty useful tool for self-discovery. For all the work, at least I got a pretty useful way to frame people-problems and a good people-vocabulary out of it.

Kyrios

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2/6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually feel pretty unaligned too, but perhaps Im wrong. Would anyone genuinely enjoy helping me search myself?

G

garbage

I actually feel pretty unaligned too, but perhaps Im wrong. Would anyone genuinely enjoy helping me search myself?

Best thing to do is probably a What's my Type? thread with some information about yourself; people would jump at the chance to help you figure yourself out. This goes for the OP's friend, too.

(You can see that my thread is still ongoing :doh:)

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
These tests are more about clarity than strength eg. you may clearly see yourself as an F, even if your F tendencies aren't really THAT strong. Functions are your best bet, and even then it's more accurate to read about the functions and reflect on them, rather than doing a quick test.

Meaning

Permabanned
Just go based on the letters and the function.

Does he think he's more E or I? Do the same for all the letters. Also, compare the functions? More Se or Ne? Etc.

You can also take all the type descriptions and break them up sentence by sentence (or however much text puts across one meaningful facet), and have him score himself on each one-- yes, or no. Total the scores across all the types, and whichever one is highest is a good bet for the one to go with.