• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do Extraverts Absorb More Information Than Introverts?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No.

Post title.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not that simple, cant really say yes or no to that.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The method in which an extravert and introvert absorbs information tends to differ in that in abstract essence, the extravert will take in information quickly yet a higher percentage will be forgotten then that of an introvert. It is like holding a bottle of water over the face and drinking with lots of water fallen to the floor. An introvert will take in the information similar to that of sucking a straw. It is slower but less will be forgotten. The mechanisms of which an introvert tends to take things from a more scoped method of thought disallowing distractions from other sources whereas the extravert, who has a more wide scoped thought process, takes in information from many different directions but loses more of it in the process.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You mean you don't have an answer to this?!?...this is bad.

Nah, i got the answer for everything :yes: its just that the answer requires more writing that im willing to do.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah, i got the answer for everything :yes: its just that the answer requires more writing that im willing to do.

Oh i see. *Breathes again*

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
The person with a capacity to absorb more information will absorb more information

Type would be inconsequential, I believe

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
what oaky said. we go through more but we retain less.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could be wrong, but I think they do. Introverts think, act, think. Extraverts act, think, act. Absorbing information is a part of action. How else would introverts generally have a deeper inner life?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Extraversion = object
Introversion = fields (relationship between object)

This does not imply that extraversion absorbs more information than introversion.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extraversion = object
Introversion = fields (relationship between object)
This does not imply that extraversion absorbs more information than introversion.

that sounds more like Intuition and Sensing to me

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ooops i think i just contradicted myself there; sorry

disregard that; I was confusing MBTI with socionics.

simulatedworld said:
Jung observed two types of general cognition: Perception (taking in information) and Judgment (making decisions/evaluating it.)

He said that there are two styles of Perception: Sensing (which deals with immediate, concrete, tangible sensory impressions) and iNtuition (which deals with abstract patterns and relationships between things or ideas, and other non-tangible information.)

There are also two styles of Judgment: Thinking (which deals with impersonal logic and structure) and Feeling (which deals with personal/interpersonal ethics and morality.)

Furthermore, each of these four processes can be directed inwardly (introverted), which means it's conceptualized subjectively in terms of the self, or externally (extroverted), which means it's conceptualized objectively in terms of not-self.

Introverted attitudes view the outer world in terms of the self's subjective ideal, so they attempt to make the outer world more like the inner self. Their focus is deeper but less expansive--they can see all the implications of one idea at a time.

Extroverted attitudes view the inner world in terms of the non-self's objective ideal, so they attempt to make the inner self more like the outer world. Their focus is broader but more shallow--they can see a wide range of different information at once, but in less detail.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think this can be quantified. Since all types have an equal number of introverted and extroverted processes, and will lean on these processes in certain situations, there are too many variables to give an absolute. Both parties observe the object (cognition) but the extroverted process is one of merging and the introverted process is one of matching. An introvert may look at the object and take in a massive amount of info before it begins matching.. and make alot of connection in that matching. An extrovert may briefly observe the object before merging, but still have taken in less info than the introvert did before matching.

This is slightly offbeat, but I liked this video explanation.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T9f7b7dOzQ&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

redacted

I'm assuming this is more of a judging/perceiving question (whether your perception is introverted or extroverted). Extroverted perceivers want novel environmental information, whereas introverted perceivers want relevant environmental information. The amount of information isn't really a part of the distinction.

On the question of judgment dominants vs. perceiving dominants, perceiving dominants do take in more information on average. Judgment dominants make conclusions based on less information on average.