• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

understanding complex shapes and type

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At first I guessed that it was a representation of some kind of 4 dimensional shape.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, at very first glance, it looks like some sort of tesseract projection. The prominent cube is the first whole shape that became obvious to me.
However, there are six line segments meeting at each apex, where the tesseract would only have four (matching the dimensionality). It can't be a 6-cube (or "hexeract"), because that has a lot more lines in it.

What it looks like is a 6-simplex, which is basically a 6D counterpart to a triangle or tetrahedron. (Same principle; the number of lines meeting at an apex matches the dimension). Looking at it further, you see it has triangles as well.
Higher polytope projection diagrams often resemble lower polygons encasing polygrams (stellated polygons) all sharing common apices.

I know, to me, it's just Si's recollection of higher dimensional geometry projections.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But you see everyone has seen 3d objects more than 2d objects. Tv and computers constantly show 3d shapes in 2d surface. The gradient i added(or actually just made it stronger) is whats called an monocular cue of distance, which is the third dimension, so even tho its just a computer screen you see the cube in, its not a "flat" surface that the cube is on

True, but even with the gradient there is a difference between the interpretation of lines and the interpretation of more reality-representative images on a tv or computer screen. Another lesson of drawing class is that reality doesn't have lines ;)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I thought it was a connected rectangle. Cube was my second choice.

A

Anew Leaf

Do you find it hard to understand what shape this is? Were you even able to get it right before reading the spoiler?

A6WRh.jpg

Its

Ps. Carved it on my ukulele :)

My problem was knowing how to narrow down the possibilities. Instead I started creating it in my mind and making the points bump out until I realized it was actually a cube.

Eventually I will get to the bottom of what something is, but without any references, I like making sure I run through the list of infinite possibilites first. The first answer is rarely the right answer... especially with the weird way I think... It's kind of like Cinderella's stepsisters trying to fit the glass slipper on their aircraft carrier feet: "I'll MAKE IT FIT!!" etc.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
True, but even with the gradient there is a difference between the interpretation of lines and the interpretation of more reality-representative images on a tv or computer screen. Another lesson of drawing class is that reality doesn't have lines ;)

There may not be lines in reality, but people do perceive lines ;)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
just made this (using "fast stone capture") because i wanted to see it with vanishing point perspective. far from perfect obviously. not a perfect cube and lines cross each other when they should penetrate each other. but with this perspective there are no lines hiding other lines behind them, so there is no hiding of the dimensions, no danger of anyone assuming this to be a flat bunch of lines, i guess.

0bhIu.png

MBTI Type
ESFJ
At first I thought it was a diamond, but then I thought that was too obvious and saw it as a cube; I also saw it as a pyramid or a rhombus. Still I don't think there is a one "true" answer for this, but then again who am I to tell the person who created it what it is.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I saw, a "diamond" like shape.

I saw 2 hexagonal pyramids and a hexagon for the so called "cube." These two hexagonal pyramid connected to the hexagonal box in the center by their bottoms.

Reasoning? When you look at the two sides, you eyes seems to look at it as a 4-sided pyramid. Upon closer examination, you starting seeing a 6-sided pyramid. That 6-sided pyramid, makes you imagine that the cube in the center, is definitely not a cube. The center just reminds me of a lot of lines :\

Ok, I'm done with the talk.

But ehhh, whatever you intended it to be. Heck, I could give you all sorts of possibilities, none of them being a 3-d cube.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"you can't get a diamond out of that even though it looks like a diamond." Okay, I didn't realize there was one "true" answer to this- you're saying that you must fold the shape or see it 3-D in your mind. My geometry/ spatial reasoning has admittedly gone south since highschool. I also pictured a hang glider or a parachute or wings, or those little paper things that you make that you write words on that kids make, but not a cube.

That's okay. I was expecting some formal name to the object, not the obvious descriptive phrase that was given.

E

Epiphany

I saw the alleged "cube" immediately, but it's not geometrically accurate. The front left side is not parallel to any of the other three vertical sides; it is angled, therefore it's not really a cube at all. I assume the designer did it intentionally to make it appear less cubical and more like a diamond, unless they are simply bad at drawing shapes.

A6WRh.jpg

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I saw the alleged "cube" immediately, but it's not geometrically accurate. The front left side is not parallel to any of the other three vertical sides; it is angled, therefore it's not really a cube at all. I assume the designer did it intentionally to make it appear less cubical and more like a diamond, unless they are simply bad at drawing shapes.

A6WRh.jpg

I challenge you to do better with this equipment on similar surface:

kqn7V.jpg

Ps. Its 1mm off from 40mm

E

Epiphany

Hmm... *awkward silence*

I didn't realize that you designed this yourself on a non-flat surface or I would have been a little more tactful. I figured it was an image that you simply found online. Guess I should've read below the spolier. I have a bad habit of hyperfocusing on something and inadvertently ignoring other details.

My apologies. Carry on.

clandestine

At first all I could see was the face of our almighty lord Satan.
That was scary, so I shifted my focus to the outline which is a hexagon, hexagons r nice..
Then a part of me became suspicious... but having learned not to dwell on such lest it develop into paranoia, I quickly moved on to reading the rest of the thread where I discovered that I was supposed to have visualized the lines as a 3d shape. So I returned to the picture, batted away the glaring presence of lucifer, and indeed
saw the cube.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: I'm glad that I'm not the only one picky enough to think "it's a cube with a crooked line!"

And I have carved straight lines on curved surfaces before precisely, but I cheated and used the chalk line from a plumb :cheese:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it's a slightly lopsided cube with extra lines for show. but thanks for making me try for a good 30 seconds to see something less-obvious than that, lol.

fwiw, I think the lopsidedness makes it a MUCH more interesting design than a perfect cube would have been.

Elisius

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I totally thought it was a tetrahedron :\