• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Were you this kind of child?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I was the type of child who tried to avoid getting in trouble. I followed the rules and I avoided the pain of the consequence.

However, I have noticed that many children will keep on and keep on, despite several warnings, and then they end up suffering the consequence for their behavior. These children always seemed shocked that they actually got in trouble.

Were you this type of child? If so, did you know that there would be a consequence and chose to act anyway, or were you somehow oblivious to the fact that your behavior was going to result in a consequence? Have you changed as an adult?

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had little fear of consequences; knowing the smack was coming didn't stop me from doing what I was going to do. I was the child who disobeyed intentionally and tried to dance out of the way of trouble by using my charm or wits or just blatantly lying. Really, half the time, I was just playing a game to see if I could get away with it. I only went out of my way to be mischievous like this every so often, though. For the most part, I stayed out of trouble, though not intentionally. I was in my own little world and kept mostly to myself. If trouble was to be had, I went looking for it.

Well, unless I was dealing with the kids at school. Those problems came to me, but I consider that a different situation than the question you presented.

I haven't changed as an adult so much as I've calmed down. The mentality is still there. It just expresses it in more subtle ways. My boyfriend says I have a way of leaving a little exit door of "weaselable doubt" in just about everything I do, just in case it doesn't go the way I expected. Again, for the most part, I stay out of trouble because I'm doing other things, but when I belly-flop into a muddy puddle I know exactly what I'm doing and what I'm getting myself into.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope, I wasn't that sort of child, but my girl, now 11, was one of those. She was a major handful until she turned around maybe 7. It was very tiring continually putting her in the corner, taking away toys, and yes corporal punishment. She eventually figured out that bad things happen when she does bad things, and now she's very sweet and actually listens. She doesn't really give up on what she wants, she just finds less direct and disruptive ways to achieve them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was the type of child who tried to avoid getting in trouble. I followed the rules and I avoided the pain of the consequence.

I was that ^^ kind of child....

If so, did you know that there would be a consequence and chose to act anyway, or were you somehow oblivious to the fact that your behavior was going to result in a consequence? Have you changed as an adult?

I have one child who typically always obeys, one child who will accomodate if she feels like it but will become very defiant (and prepare for battle) when she chooses to break the rules, and a third child who just does what he wants and never seems to learn from consequences.

I worry about the last one the most, only because he's not good at making good "long-term" decisions; my worry is less about him disobeying us and more about the reality that there are just some terrible things that can happen if you act without considering the consequences, and one day it will all catch up to him.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I didn't do anything, I just refused to do stuff, like being told to clean my room or take a bath I was very stubborn and refused. Doing what I wasn't suppose to not so much. and if people wonder if I'm a p, because it's always I'll do it later.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

However, I have noticed that many children will keep on and keep on, despite several warnings, and then they end up suffering the consequence for their behavior. These children always seemed shocked that they actually got in trouble.

Were you this type of child? If so, did you know that there would be a consequence and chose to act anyway, or were you somehow oblivious to the fact that your behavior was going to result in a consequence? Have you changed as an adult?

I was the first type of child for the most part. To me the potential consequences were not worth it even if I was tempted to break the rules.

I know kids and even adults that seem to have no regard for the consequences. I think parenting might have something to do with it. If your parents say they are going to punish you and don't follow through on it, the kid learns that the parents don't really mean it and they'll push the boundaries as far as they can.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I broke rules because I knew I could get away with it most of the time. plus most rules just seemed pointless and i like getting my way.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I usually followed the written rules but gave myself wiggle room. And then new rules were imposed upon me...

I was never into breaking the rules for the thrill of getting caught. I didn't like getting caught, because my stepsister at the time was a nosey ESFJ 3w2 snitch/Italian princess and I always got locked in my room sometimes for up to two weeks with no computer. The boredom that ensued was unbearable. That's why I was never really a rule breaker.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I was pretty quiet and did my best to avoid conflict, but accidentally broke rules a lot. Really tried to avoid that, though.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I was a bit like the second kind of child, I definitely had no fear of rules, but I could kind of estimate when the consequences would be dire and when they wouldn't. So I'd break them only when - in my estimate - the consequences weren't as bad as the potential reward I could obtain by breaking them.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I had little fear of consequences; knowing the smack was coming didn't stop me from doing what I was going to do. I was the child who disobeyed intentionally and tried to dance out of the way of trouble by using my charm or wits or just blatantly lying. Really, half the time, I was just playing a game to see if I could get away with it. I only went out of my way to be mischievous like this every so often, though. For the most part, I stayed out of trouble, though not intentionally. I was in my own little world and kept mostly to myself. If trouble was to be had, I went looking for it.

Well, unless I was dealing with the kids at school. Those problems came to me, but I consider that a different situation than the question you presented.

I haven't changed as an adult so much as I've calmed down. The mentality is still there. It just expresses it in more subtle ways. My boyfriend says I have a way of leaving a little exit door of "weaselable doubt" in just about everything I do, just in case it doesn't go the way I expected. Again, for the most part, I stay out of trouble because I'm doing other things, but when I belly-flop into a muddy puddle I know exactly what I'm doing and what I'm getting myself into.

Yeah, this pretty much describes what I was like as well.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That childhood describes a Sensor child. So does Orangey's.

KDude

I wasn't like this at all. I had a try a lot of things at least.. and indulged in others. I was literally caught stealing at 5. Love that song. Except I kept stealing. Once caught by a Chuck Norris look-a-like too. Bastard took me my Hot Wheels. Damn him.

Used to sneak out a lot and even broke into places, elementary years. Not just teens. I remember me and some friends took it a bit too seriously, like it was some clandestine operation. We'd get the dark clothes and hoodies and act like ninjas whenever car headlights came around.

Anyways, as for learning. I don't know. It took a few hard kicks in the ass, much later.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I broke rules because I knew I could get away with it most of the time. plus most rules just seemed pointless and i like getting my way.

That's why you seem more like an ISFP.

KDude

Not exactly related, but I think I even needed to test "pain" for myself, in order to see if something worked out for me or not. These were rules meant for my own good, but I didn't care. I remember being in kindergarten or something, and the teacher brought a pet bird. She warned us like twice to not poke our fingers in the cage or get too close. Naturally, I had to see for myself. And the bird pecked me. I guess from the outside it looks stupid or dense, but I'm checking things out. It didn't kill me, in the same way breaking other rules or testing other things didn't kill me (although I'm much more educated. or tame.. now than I ever was).

Nic

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't intentionally follow or break rules. I followed them when I thought they were reasonable, and I broke them when I thought they weren't. Sure, I feared punishment, but I was stubborn when I was convinced that I was correct. Having said that, I was mostly a pretty easy kid because I went off by myself and read a lot. My mouth got me in trouble more than anything else.

I'm still that way.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was the 'perfect' kid as far as this topic goes. I didn't want to be the center of attention, I didn't want to be viewed in a negative light by adults, so I pretty much followed the rules and was quiet. I grumbled and rolled my eyes and said I didn't want to do something every now and then, when my parents wanted me to do something that I didn't want to do, so I'd definitely complain or at the very least proclaim my dislike for doing X, whereupon my parents would snap at me or something like that, but that was probably the extent of it. And frankly, I think as a child I thought all of my more troublemaking peers were... well... immature and stupid. lol.

Have to say, though... I can't exactly blame the STP's in this thread who have answered as they have. There's a lot of truth to the fact that a majority of people simply don't follow through with threats, or with consequences, and the STP merely takes advantage of that fact and learns as they go, testing the waters and seeing just how far they can push the limit - and who in their life *will* actually punish, and who will pat them on their head for their 'cuteness' or fold for one reason or another.