• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Letter #3: T or F - are you a Thinker or a Feeler?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You called them 'creatures'? Wow. Just wow.

Entropie is German, just so you know. Whatever extra meaning you attach to the word creatures beyond the technical definition was probably unintended.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The biggest, most accurate criticism you can level against the average INFP is that they're too passive. They don't speak up. They often have strongly held beliefs, but they don't make them known.

ok maybe its because I am entp and like to poke people, but I have hardly survived the battles with dom Fi people once I had pushed the right buttons :D. That scar through my face was me surving the big Fi battle at Gettysbourgh xD

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Entropie is German, just so you know. Whatever extra meaning you attach to the word creatures beyond the technical definition was probably unintended.

Germans are only capable of speaking technically? Wow, just wow.

:biggrin:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The biggest, most accurate criticism you can level against the average INFP is that they're too passive. They don't speak up. They often have strongly held beliefs, but they don't make them known.
I have known some to be almost passive-aggressive in harboring strong feelings about something but not sharing them, and then holding it against others for not acknowledging them. ("No one appreciates me, but I'm not willing to share anything for them to appreciate . . .")

Germans are only capable of speaking technically? Wow, just wow.:biggrin:
Fixed. One reason I have always liked Germans.

BTW, Entropie: as a native speaker of English, I can assure you that your use of the word "creatures" was entirely appropriate.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Fixed. One reason I have always liked Germans.

BTW, Entropie: as a native speaker of English, I can assure you that your use of the word "creatures" was entirely appropriate.

Haha thanks. :)

The intps always fight me with sticks and stones tho I came with a railgun on the battleground, but what do you know; somehow they always manage to hit Goliaths eye, tho you just didnt want to become personal at all, but were just looking for a nice intellectual cascade of railgun fire in the heavens and have a beer together later :)

To clarify the whole thing a bit further. When I laughed about the "Fi people being very passive creatures" thing, I was thinking about my infp who doesnt fit that at all. But since she and me are on another level of communication after 6 years, I can perfectly understand what was meant in the first place towards Fi people who are strangers to you. I am sometimes just 2 or 3 steps ahead in a more specific way in which a situation can develop in my comments but that doesnt mean I dont agree on the basics.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Logic over sentiment
Critical, then supportive
Decides with head
Truth before tact
Sees conflict as natural
Good at being critical
At ease with the impersonal
Seeks to ignore emotion
Interested in things-then-people
Often prefer non-fiction

F / Feeling

Sentiment over logic
Supportive, then critical
Decides with heart
Tact before truth
Takes conflict personally
Good at being appreciative
At ease with the personal
Attach to emotion
Interested in people-then-things
Often prefer fiction

These are alright, .. I don't know if they tell us anything new though, they are just the basics- the stereotypes come from the basics so it just goes around in circles. (I actually kind of like the more assumptive ones- like S's like crime novels and F's like fiction) because it offers a new perspective, something to think about.

S

SingSmileShine

T / Thinking
Logic over sentiment
Decides with head
Truth before tact
Sees conflict as natural
Good at being critical
Seeks to ignore emotion
Often prefer non-fiction

F / Feeling
Sentiment over logic
Decides with heart
Tact before truth
Attach to emotion
Often prefer fiction

Huh. I think I'm a Thinker, no? ;)

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Type = INFp

T said:
Logic over sentiment
Decides with head
Truth before tact
Sees conflict as natural
Good at being critical
Seeks to ignore emotion
Often prefer non-fiction

I am more likely to act like a Thinker and:

Have truth as my objective.
Decide more with my head.
Prefer on principle to question others' findings, believing their findings may be inaccurate
See my encounters with people as having a purpose.
Notice ineffective reasoning.
Choose truthfulness over tactfulness.
Critique and point out the negatives, overlooking the positives.
Focus my attention on universal principles.
Deal with people firmly, as required.
Expect the world to run on logical principles. (but I've learned it often does not)

Sentiment over logic
Decides with heart
Tact before truth
Attach to emotion
Often prefer fiction

I am more likely to act like a Feeler and:

Have harmony as my objective. (when aplictable to friends and family)
Decide more with my heart.
Prefer to agree with others' findings, believing people are worth listening to.
See my encounters with people as friendly and important in themselves.
Notice when people need support. (at least material emotional support or a helping hand)
Choose tactfulness over truthfulness.
Overlook people's negative points, stressing areas of agreement.
Focus my attention on personal motives. (but usually with suspicion)
Deal with people compassionately, as needed.
Expect the world to recognize individual differences. (diversity is good, and real)

I see being supportive and critical and being truthful and tactful and being intertwined. My goal in a conversation where those things are a factor is to be tactful, honest and provide support while addressing the things I feel I need to be critical about - that may mean sugar coating things, but it does not mean sacrificing honesty to do so.

That comparison chart got me thinking about conflict vs harmony and how it relates to F/T...

If there are unresolved problems between two or more persons (or creatures :)), then that will affect the mood of those persons involved (which results in the atmosphere of harmony being at risk if not nullified) and that will have a negative effect on their interactions with each other and possibly third parties as well (depending on how much they compartmentalize). I see conflict as existing in that case even if it goes unspoken (and unseen to those not involved), so steps should be taken to talk things out and make an effort to resolve the conflicts (whether or not they go unspoken, they are felt and internalized and causing more harm than good by doing so). In that regard, I see conflict as natural and necessary, but its also easy to end up taking it personally too if anger and hostility are involved.

I think what happens for me is that when I detect a reduction in harmony levels, then I seek to determine the reason and find possible solutions to resolve it, and that often means addressing conflict, but conflict can often be resolved with civility if all affected parties are willing to approach it in that manner. If a disagreement is resolved through polite civil conversation to address the misunderstandings, did a conflict occur, or would that be a resolution that did not involve conflict?

A more grey area of the concept of conflict is that of being argumentative. When one is argumentative and hostile, then that seems to be clearly associatable with conflict, but when two people are participating in a more emotionally detached verbal sparing match (for example arguing over the interpretation of a poorly worded rule), is that conflict? To an outward observer, they are seeing a spirited argument and may or may not realize that its not personal so they might see it as conflict, but what is the dividing line for what is or is not conflict?

As a male with an F preference, I found your description of F males to be very acurate and I would strongly agree that finding friends that do not make me feel pressured to conform to the steroetypes of what a male "should be" makes a huge difference.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
T / Thinking

Logic over sentiment
Decides with head
(Truth before tact)
Sees conflict as natural
Good at being critical
Seeks to ignore emotion
Often prefer non-fiction

F / Feeling

Sentiment over logic

Decides with heart
Tact before truth
Attach to emotion (what exactly does that mean?)
(Interested in people-then-things)
Often prefer fiction