• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introducing S vs. N

clandestine

When I look at that picture, there is recognition, and a sense of character. I'm an animist. I enjoy imagining inanimate objects having energy, awareness, feelings, etc. It comes natural with things like toys of animals (which is how it began), but is a little more optional with faceless objects. I can regard an object and respect it may have it's own experience, but I don't tend to be aware of that constantly. Upon looking at this picture of the Eiffel tower and examining my reaction/feeling towards it, although having never met it's acquaintance I get a sense of knowing it, and to me, it gives off a sense of being independent and a bit of a day dreamer. If I really think about it, that building has been through so much. It's out all day and night, in all weather. All that time to think.. and all the people who have unknowingly revealed their secrets to it. It's fun to imagine what it would be like to be conscious as that tower. Perhaps I would need a dirtier mind to immediately see it at as phallic :rly???: lol

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I look at that picture, there is recognition, and a sense of character. I'm an animist. I enjoy imagining inanimate objects having energy, awareness, feelings, etc. It comes natural with things like toys of animals (which is how it began), but is a little more optional with faceless objects. I can regard an object and respect it may have it's own experience, but I don't tend to be aware of that constantly. Upon looking at this picture of the Eiffel tower and examining my reaction/feeling towards it, although having never met it's acquaintance I get a sense of knowing it, and to me, it gives off a sense of being independent and a bit of a day dreamer. If I really think about it, that building has been through so much. It's out all day and night, in all weather. All that time to think.. and all the people who have unknowingly revealed their secrets to it. It's fun to imagine what it would be like to be conscious as that tower. Perhaps I would need a dirtier mind to immediately see it at as phallic :rly???: lol

Perhaps that last is the N contrast you're looking for. I'm guessing you're an introverted sensor.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
phallic associations may be illegal for some Fe doms *g*

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused as to what you meant or were referring to, my bad I think.. Would you mind rephrasing? :blush:

The topic says something about S Vs. N, so if someone (with a dirty mind, no doubt) made the Eiffel Tower out to be phallic, then that would be the Intuitive contrast to a post the mostly concerned S or Si events.

Silveresque

N:

Future-focused
Sees possibilities
Prize inspiration
Aware of own inspiration
Introspective about the past
Often use difficult words
Flighty ideas
Imaginative
Often dislike crime novels (If they focus too much on mundane details)
Reflects but does not always do
Theoretical
Imagination over observation
Often restless with status quo
Contemplate things
See both sides

If American; more likely to be liberal

Some of the ones for N don't seem right. Shouldn't "introspective about the past" be Si? And I can't imagine anyone would not relate to "contemplate things". And "see both sides" doesn't sound particularly distinguishing either. Under S it said "loyal to friends", which has nothing to do with S/N.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As usual, this is retarded drivel.

+1

From what I understand, the correlation between intuition and openness is not solid enough to use them interchangeably. I score pretty high on openness on the big 5 (assuming that's the openness you refer to). It is probably more accurate for distinguishing SJ from non-SJ.

i don't think this is true, either. i am close with several ESFJs who would probably score high on openness on the big 5. for the record, all are college-educated liberals.

but then, i make it no secret that i strongly dislike the big 5 for its obvious "correct" answers.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
by the way... I had a MUCH better thread on S v N :cool:

I do believe that three toed hippopotamuses and soup were even mentioned in it! :yes:

clandestine

The topic says something about S Vs. N, so if someone (with a dirty mind, no doubt) made the Eiffel Tower out to be phallic, then that would be the Intuitive contrast to a post the mostly concerned S or Si events.

ty. makes sense now : )

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
yes very much an N.

Concrete
Realistic
Prize enjoyment
Aware of current trends
Lives in the present
Often use straight talk
Aware of surroundings
Notices details
Often like crime novels
Practical
Factual
Observation over imagination
Often content with status quo
Make things happen
Loyal to friends

If American; more likely to be conservative

N / Abstract

Future-focused
Sees possibilities
Prize inspiration
Aware of own inspiration
Flighty ideas
Imaginative

Often dislike crime novels
Theoretical
Contemplate things
See both sides

If American; more likely to be liberal

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
S:

Concrete (too vague)
Realistic (too vague)
Prize enjoyment (what is this?)
Aware of current trends
Lives in the present
Often use straight talk

Aware of surroundings
Notices details
Often like crime novels

Practical
Factual
Observation over imagination
Often content with status quo
Make things happen
Loyal to friends (what?)
If American; more likely to be conservative (not applicable)

N:

Future-focused
Sees possibilities

Prize inspiration (what is this?)
Aware of own inspiration
Flighty ideas
Imaginative

Often dislike crime novels (If they focus too much on mundane details)
Theoretical

Contemplate things
See both sides

If American; more likely to be liberal (not applicable)

questionable -

how is loyalty to friends connected to being S., or, for that matter, to being any type whatsoever?

prize enjoyment vs. prize inspiration: what is meant by this?

future-focused, sees possibilities: i definitely am when it comes to spiritual or personal growth, but not so much when it comes to my physical lifestyle. i'm quite content with it and would rather not have it changed.

concrete, realistic, practical: the terms are somewhat too vague. i suppose i could be any of those from time to time, though not nearly often enough.

often uses straight talk: what exactly does this mean? i do value directness and honesty, and i seem to have the best rapport with forthright people. when i can be upfront, i am. but my speaking style itself is not direct at all - there is a lot of meandering, wandering around in circles and general incoherence.

observation vs. imagination: to me, observation is vital because it fuels the imagination. i guess that can be interpreted as my finding imagination more important.

making things happen: well, i would want to, very much so. whether or not i am going to procrastinate ad infinitum is another matter.

living in the present: if this means being able to appreciate the beauty or awe-inspiring qualities of one's surroundings at any given time, then i do. if it means not "living inside one's head" most of the time, i do not.

liking or disliking crime novels: i do like well-written detective stories, though mostly for the sake of trying to solve the mystery myself.

appreciating enjoyment or inspiration: why isn't it possible to appreciate both? i do.

i guess i am N. based on this.

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
"Prize" is a verb meaning "to value."

ah yes. thanks. it's past 3 a.m. and my mind is starting to go blank when it comes to various strange little tidbits. i was staring at that word and it didn't occur to me that it could be a verb as well as a noun.

that said, odd word usage, or feels that way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ah yes. thanks. it's past 3 a.m. and my mind is starting to go blank when it comes to various strange little tidbits.

that said, odd word usage, or feels that way.

I almost forgot to mention: "Loyal to friends" is opposed to "sees both sides." I can identify with this point in some interesting ways. I personally can't stand bias toward friends, nepotism, and other things of that nature. For example, I stated to my Sensor friend that I didn't like this local tire store, and he became incensed toward me because the store is owned by a friend of his. Well la de dah!

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I almost forgot to mention: "Loyal to friends" is opposed to "sees both sides." I can identify with this point in some interesting ways. I personally can't stand bias toward friends, nepotism, and other things of that nature. For example, I stated to my Sensor friend that I didn't like this local tire store, and he became incensed toward me because the store is owned by a friend of his. Well la de dah!

How is that even relevant? Would the tire store be worse if his enemy owned it? I disagree with your S friend. It annoys me when people change their opinions about something because of that.

Do not like this list. Some of the S things were insulting (Probably my shadow Se dislike)

S:

Concrete
Realistic
Prize enjoyment (this is not even related to inspiration)
Aware of current trends (NO)
Lives in the present (Definite NO)
Often use straight talk (Being clear and concise, or having a small lexicon?)
Aware of surroundings (Sort of. I can point out things, and I'm going off on a Si tangent from my experiences with stuff in my surroundings)
Notices details (I might not think so at the time... but see above)
Often like crime novels (I hate crime novels. Hate hate hate)
Practical (Pragmatic would be a better word)
Factual
Observation over imagination (Why can it not be BOTH? I observe and imagine from it. I thought imagination was something that came with observing (ne?) but I guess not)
Often content with status quo (I can always see ways to improve)
Make things happen (I prefer coming up with the plan and monitoring)
Loyal to friends (Dunno, never really had to test my loyalty)

N:

Future-focused (Half future, half past)
Sees possibilities (how on earth is this incompatible with realistic?)
Prize inspiration (inspiration is how I get ideas)
Aware of own inspiration (what does that even mean?)
Introspective about the past (This is so me. This is HOW I THINK. Why is this N?)
Often use difficult words (I expect people to know them, and I keep getting surprised that they don't
Flighty ideas (There isn't a problem with the ideas themselves! You can have fancies, the S police won't come down and kill you)
Imaginative (I would like to think so)
Often dislike crime novels
Reflects but does not always do (I couldn't do all that I reflect upon in a human lifespan!)
Theoretical (I like theories... as long as you acknowledge them as just theories)
Imagination over observation (Again, why not both?)
Often restless with status quo (How could anybody just be content with it?)
Contemplate things (I thought all humans did this)
See both sides (YES. I have a complusion to play devil's advocate)

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram

i can identify with this too. except i wouldn't have thought of it as an S trait - if anything, it seems to be more of an unhealthy F trait, on par with manipulative tendencies and insincerity as part of unhealthy Fe. and i would not equate loyalty with favoritism. to be to loyal is to keep promises and to support one's friends in need; to show favoritism is to have an undue preference for one's friends even where this is unreasonable, illegal or unfair toward other people. this is a confusion of terms.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i can identify with this too. except i wouldn't have thought of it as an S trait - if anything, it seems to be more of an unhealthy F trait, on par with manipulative tendencies and insincerity as part of unhealthy Fe. and i would not equate loyalty with favoritism. to be to loyal is to keep promises and to support one's friends in need; to show favoritism is to have an undue preference for one's friends even where this is unreasonable, illegal or unfair toward other people. this is a confusion of terms.

Yes, not an S trait. And I agree. Loyalty to friends does not mean loyalty to their opinions.