• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Body language and personality type?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do think that the possibility to type by body language and facial expression exists.. however, so very many variables that its not good enough to rely on. I have observed 6 unique ESFJ's use the same eye contact, body language, tones, and facial expressions. Fucking uncanny. I could try to verbalize all the ques i've picked up on by type.. but I'm just not talented enough to articulate it correctly. Absolutely believe it could be done though.. with a perceptive enough observer.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Raising left eyebrow = T

This is how I typed myself with ease, I'm so T that it takes effort to keep my left eyebrow where it should be!

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
for me, hand gestures are mostly acquired. as a child, i seem to have been quite vivacious, energetic and outgoing (or socially curious), but i never gestured. not sure why. then, sometime in my mid teens, i started to observe others more and noticed that they moved their hands when they spoke. so i started to imitate them and tried to develop the sense of my body and internal state which i felt would be necessary for this. by now, i think it has become fairly good, and i use hand gestures most of the time. they are rounded, soft, sometimes a bit too broad. however, the more i feel drained, tense or disconnected from my body, the more they tend to become sharp, choppy and unfinished, not fully formed somehow, and then eventually disappear. i can also "forget" about them when i am too excited over something.

but: i am sure there are many people who share my type, be it INFP or INTP, and find hand gesturing much more natural.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
hm i learned raising my eyebrows very late in life. figure, that might indicate P-dom then.

braintypes.com correlates types with things like fine or gross motor skills.
don't know how those show up in body language....

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sure why not, but i believe in the useful construct of chakras, so who am i to talk?

i guess, going off of jung (and his books on kundalini yoga), maybe that's not as heretical and ridiculous around these parts. i only wish jung were less dismissive of gurdjieff, because we might have had a comprehensive theory of the psyche including both cognitive and affective aspects if they were better synthesized.

anyway, i'd say 40-60% of my overall typing import is based on the body. gestures, facial expressions, eye movements, walk, presence, vocal inflections, etc. you try to just feel out where they're at. next come the questions to test your predictions and systematically cross-cancel possibilities.

also, mirror neurons are cool. maybe a big part of the social adhesive we call Fe. and, to be fair, many theories of how language originated begin with mirror neurons and gestural communication (to predict intentionality and teach tool usage and promote deictic signalling, which sadly my roommate's cat just doesn't seem to understand).

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think only ESTPs can roll their tongue. Something about The Se Ti order, I heard.

I have very restrained and kinda awkward body language but I tend to talk with my hands and have an animated face, I don't really know what that means.

Lexus

MBTI Type
xNTJ
Roll your tongue in which manner; rolling your r's as in Spanish and Russia or curling it? Because I cannot curl my tongue and ..am an ESTP.

Daemon Corax

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I can curl my tongue. Certainly not an ESTP, though.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Enneagrams maybe, but not MBTI. 5s are tense, unkempt people. 3s take a lot of care for appearance. 8s are often bigger people (not necessarily fat :p), wearing comfortable clothing. 4s surround themselves with cutesy/artistic stuff. 7s are practical trend ferrets. 2s wear their emotions on their face. 6s are normal people, often hard to pick out. 1s dress formally, or in plain clothing, 9s are meek softies, easy to spot in winter.

Then just associate those types to their common MBTI correlations.