• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What types learn better from example than explanation?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
S types come to mind. N types I think would be more interested in learning the why behind things, which suggests explanation. S types are more interested in the how, which I guess comes closer to example. I could be wrong though.

Silveresque

S types come to mind. N types I think would be more interested in learning the why behind things, which suggests explanation. S types are more interested in the how, which I guess comes closer to example. I could be wrong though.

That's what I was thinking. I'm very much an example learner, but it could just be that examples help me recognize a pattern that I can use to solve problems (and pattern recognition is N, I think). Then again, that could also be indicating a preference for practical application over theory (which is S)...:shrug:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I had discussion about example vs explanation with my wife yeasterday. I'm an ENTJ with a low chance, and I think that examples can pinpoint some ideas I have. Examples can illustrate princeples, if they are well chosen. It's only a possibility though. There's no general princeple that forces an example to be of any value. So, the value of example is what you make of it. The value of example is what you get of it.

In the end, examples are a tool for teaching.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm definitey a 'why' learner. I like to understand something before I get in to the how. Otherwise there's no learning involved. What if the process deviates? You can't explain 'how' to every situation. Sometimes you're forced to make a move, so I'd rather be equipped with principles, which rarely, if ever, change, over rules or laws.
I think that's where I've had some differences with my boss. I would prefer to have the why's answered first in order for me to better appreciate the hows.
If I'm forced to learn the hows first, once I learn the why, I may rebel if they don't make any sense. That's one of my flaws I guess.

I think both explanations and examples are necessary to learn. Explanations kind of help to focus your mental, provide boundaries and all that. The Example drives it home.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I had discussion about example vs explanation with my wife yeasterday. I'm an ENTJ with a low chance, and I think that examples can pinpoint some ideas I have. Examples can illustrate princeples, if they are well chosen. It's only a possibility though. There's no general princeple that forces an example to be of any value. So, the value of example is what you make of it. The value of example is what you get of it.

In the end, examples are a tool for teaching.

I like the bolded, and the end of your statement. A fitting example is one of the best teachers out there.

Silveresque

'How' vs. 'why' is a good way to look at it. I like to learn both, but generally I like to learn the 'how' first, then the 'why'. It doesn't usually work as well for me when I get it the other way around.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I probably should clarify further. In some situations N can prefer examples and S can prefer explanations. Examples and explanations can be more practical or more hypothetical.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The types that learn best from examples rather than explanations are all of the 'result' ones in socionics: ENFP, ENTJ, INTP, INFJ, ISTJ, ISFP, ESFJ, ESTP (an explanation). Charles Darwin, for example, an ISTJ (though he is commonly typed as INTJ) derived his theory of evolution by watching many examples of it happening in nature until the theory dawned upon him.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I sort of like explanations that include examples. I can see "why" better when I can relate it to other concepts and things I already know. I like having a very thorough understanding of something.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
well intuitives would learn better off of examples because thinking intuitive means thinking in concepts. He will be able to connect the concept to the example and have an understanding deeper than words as a result. The Sensing thinker i think, would need more specific explanations

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Si types I think.. Need the smaller details. Maybe Ti types as well. Anyone who has a more exacting nature, I suppose. I think examples are the thing on which many concepts are built. Like a brick building. The building is a building, but the bricks are all the examples that made the building exist. And I view Si as seeing the building for all it's bricks.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Example. If I see an example, I can quickly identify all of the elements that make it an example of the principle under discussion instead of having to labor through lengthy, often repetitive or obvious paragraphs of explanation. It's quicker.

That's just what I prefer if made to choose between one or the other. I imagine that in reality, though, both are needed for me to learn best, and that's probably more or less the case for everybody regardless of type.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The types that learn best from examples rather than explanations are all of the 'result' ones in socionics: ENFP, ENTJ, INTP, INFJ, ISTJ, ISFP, ESFJ, ESTP (an explanation). Charles Darwin, for example, an ISTJ (though he is commonly typed as INTJ) derived his theory of evolution by watching many examples of it happening in nature until the theory dawned upon him.

I'm a socionics INTj (LII) which function wise is closest to MBTI INTP.

According to this site, socionics INTj/LII is a result type.

Why would result types necessarily prefer examples?

I don't have a strong preference for examples or explanations. It depends on what I'm learning. If I can get both, all the better.