• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ambiverts?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At first I thought it was just a classification for extroverts to feel like special snowflakes :D, but right now I don't really have an opinion. After all, MBTI, like pretty much every typology system, has some blind spots. e.g. Are all Ne-doms really extroverts? Sounds like a bold assumption.
I just want to understand what it really means.

Thoughts?

redacted

I just think of I/E as the orientation of your dominant function. If you're Ne dominant, you're ENP by definition and vice versa.

I guess you're an ambivert if you can't tell if your dominant function is introverted or extroverted.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Definitions for extraversion and introversions vary and are quite different in big5, MBTI and in general talk. If you are thinking in terms of how people generally mean with extroversion, then someone who is E type in MBTI might not be seen as extrovert.

When jung first coined the terms introvert and extravert the meaning was quite different than what people shaped them to in general talk(or in later personality theories, like big5).

In MBTI and jungs typology there is no ambiversion, since extraversion isnt about being social or stuff like that and they say that everyone have both introverted and extraverted functions. Wether someone is introverted or extraverted is determined by wether dominant function orients itself towards external world or towards internal world. This isnt about being social, BUT people with extraverted dominant function tend to be social and outgoing, but its not a determing factor in typology.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ambiversion is for the perpetually confused :laugh: Either for those who are still confused about the orientation of their dominant function, or those who know the orientation but behave in a way that is stereotypically contradictory to it.

Ambiversion is a retreat for those who are so much in the middle who even with their closest fit type feel they have to add a qualifier to be at all honest, ex. (for E) "but I'm pretty much a total hermit" (for I) "even if you see me screaming and dancing on the tables in a few minutes." For an ambivert, the only clue to their true preferred orientation is in preference, and in extreme cases both behavior and ability associated with it could be completely lacking (theoretically, right?). Even this though, is usually more in the middle....

Yes, all Ne-doms are extraverts, but some of them are also ambiverts :D But not as many of them are ambiverts as you might think... some of them just like to call themselves that because they hold extraversion to high and/or inaccurate standards :tongue:

Jaguar

More Contradictions Between Jung and Myers Briggs Theory
Two or Three Categories?

Carl Jung's typology contains eight types and Isabel Briggs Myers' typology contains 16 types. This in itself is not a contradiction, because the sixteen Myers Briggs types are arrived at simply by dividing each of Carl Jung's types into two.

There is, however, a contradiction because in reality, beneath the 'headline' of 8 types, Jung saw more categories and allowed for a 'middle group' between the opposites. This contradiction can be seen in Isabel Briggs Myers and Jung's different treatment of Extraversion and Introversion, where in Myers Briggs Theory there are two categories and in Jung's theory there are three:

"There is, finally, a third group... the most numerous and includes the less differentiated normal man... He constitutes the extensive middle group... I call the first group extraverted and the second group introverted" (p516, Psychological Types)

Full article here:
http://myers.team-technology.co.uk/blog/_archives/2006/12/21/2583685.html

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=1654]Evan[/MENTION], [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION], [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION]
Thanks for the input! Looks like the term is pretty atechnical. I guess I just want to know what people mean when they call themselves ambivert. :thinking:
Yes, all Ne-doms are extraverts, but some of them are also ambiverts :D But not as many of them are ambiverts as you might think... some of them just like to call themselves that because they hold extraversion to high and/or inaccurate standards :tongue:
True! I think some ''ambiverts'' are using party animals ESFPs as parameters :laugh: