• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identify a song in few seconds. Functions?!

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
hahaha this just happened to me. I went to someone's profile, recognized the song they had by the first two notes, and sure enough I was right.

It also happened a while ago... I heard a bit of one song and thought, it sounds familiar. Then a few months later (yes, months) I figured out which song it was similar to. It wasn't even the same song, it just had a similar melody in some part.

This happens very rarely for me, usually if I think I "recognize" a song, it's actually a different song. i.e. I was wrong. ;)

I thought this was Si related but I'm not sure.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That was always my sis and my favorite game on road trips! We could both id a song within seconds- and we are opposite types! :laugh:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
My son is an ESFP and is excellent with this type of recall. He remembers the lyrics to every song and who sung it, word for word perfect recall of comedy skits, movies, history lectures, you name it. If he's heard it, it's in his brain.

He has tested as an auditory learner.

There are believed to be three primary types of learners:

Visual Learners
Visual learners learn new skills by seeing and learn new information best through visuals. Using diagrams and other visual methods of learning are recommended for these types of learners.

How can you identify if you are a visual learner? If you learn best and take notes when visual information is being presented, and create your own charts and graphics while learning then you may be a visual learner. Through the use of hand-outs, charts and visual information, the visual learner should be easily able to readily absorb the information.

Auditory Learners
Auditory listeners learn best through the use of verbal communication and lectures. Auditory learners can have information revealed to them through written works, but in most cases, the information is not going to make sense or “click” until the information has been heard. There are many things that auditory learners listen for while they are learning a new skill. They listen for the tone of voice, the pitch within the voice and even the speed of the person that is teaching the new skill or information. All of this information that has been interpreted is then used when learning.

Auditory learners will benefit from creating recordings of the information that is being taught, as well as benefit from information that has been played back from these recordings. Most auditory learners tend to repeat things aloud, so they are able to easily learn the information that is being repeated.

Tactile Learners
There are some people that learn better by completing the actual. These people are referred to as “tactile” or “kinesthetic” learners. Through this learning method, the person learns best when they take a hands-on approach to learning. Tactile learners may suffer from a short attention span which can make it difficult to learn new skills unless the hands-on approach is taken.
~source: http://www.learningguide.org/learningstyles.htm

Myself, I am more of a visual learner. As I recall, that is the most prevalent type.

Perhaps this song identification function is more related to your learning style than type.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not an audio girl at all, so if I hear a catchy song and want to sing it, I'm one of those who will sing right along, making up my own lyrics as I go, or saying "blah blah blah" if I can't think of anything. But yeah, seems like it could be a learning thing, if I look up the lyrics online I can remember them better.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My son is an ESFP and is excellent with this type of recall. He remembers the lyrics to every song and who sung it, word for word perfect recall of comedy skits, movies, history lectures, you name it. If he's heard it, it's in his brain.

He has tested as an auditory learner.

...Perhaps this song identification function is more related to your learning style than type.
I relate a lot to this. I've never been sure whether I'm an auditory or visual learner, since I seem to require one or the other depending on the situation -- e.g. I memorize things better when I talk about them or read my notes out loud in my own words, but I learn manual tasks better when I see people doing them, than when I hear a description of it -- but everything in this thread is making me think that auditory learning may just edge out visual learning, for me. I have very good auditory recall and near perfect pitch (which I attribute to pitch memory; my pitch isn't as good now because I used to have a pitch reference for middle C that I judged everything on, but I need to pick a new song), and I remember quotes and song lyrics very well. I really irritate my friends when we're out at a restaurant and I'll stop mid-sentence as soon as a song starts and go "What is this?? I know it's by Radiohead and I know it's from whatever album has the mountains on it -- Kid A? -- and I remember that the title of the song has nothing to do with the lyrics, but...?!"* and my friends will go "I didn't even notice that there was music playing!"

So yeah -- I'll bet that has a lot to do with quick song identification! That plus natural ability, I suppose.

*It ended up being "Optimistic", once I looked it up.

Myself, I am more of a visual learner. As I recall, that is the most prevalent type.
Makes sense -- hence the prevalence of flashcards and highlighters in the world! Honestly I'd rather have someone use flashcards on me, than use flashcards on my own -- i.e. ask me questions and see if I can answer them. And the only times I've ever used a highlighter have been when professors ask me to; they don't help me all that much, usually.

Jaguar

That was always my sis and my favorite game on road trips! We could both id a song within seconds- and we are opposite types! :laugh:

My brother tried to stump me this morning with Kajagoogoo, of all bands. All it took was the bass guitar at the beginning and I shouted out the song title. :biggrin: