• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi Black and White?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm extremely curious- most everyone I know with Fi is incredibly black and white about their morals/values/beliefs- even when they can and will change them.

Which I think is ridiculous. It is like they are correct until they are wrong, and then once they revise their morals, those[/I] beliefs and morals are absolutely correct and everyone else is wrong. So what is up with that?

Example 1: I value Christian beliefs, and everything in the Bible is is absolute and not open to question. But maybe I disagree a little with this here, and a little with this there. But I am allowed to discount some of those beliefs because they don't make sense. But if anyone else does, they are going to hell, because I know what should be absolute. /brings down mighty scepter

Why are people so pretentious as to decide that they get to decide what is right and wrong? Some things I can understand- killing babies is frowned upon by most people. But why do people get so high and mighty over certain things which many people feel are open to debates.

For example, I know many people who have gone from atheist to Christian and it is like they can't fathom how anyone can not believe in God and how those people are going to hell. Seriously? All those years you were an atheist and then you decided, hey, this makes sense! and have no understanding?

Same with an ENFP I know who became Muslim from being Christian. It isn't like she changed when she was a kid. It was in her late 20s. She feels 'naked' without her hijab (even though many progressively minded Muslim women don't wear them- in fact, it draws more attention to you to be white and wearing that sort of garb!). Anyway, she frowns upon people not part of her religion, and has absolutely no understanding for how anyone can believe what she doesn't believe, and that they are immoral, etc.

Anyway, I hate to use religion as my example, but those are the first things that came to mind.

Bonus question- if Fi greatly values logic in a Ti sort of way, does that make them NFP or NTP?

Add: I mean people who use Fi.

[MENTION=14530]Jack427[/MENTION] you do not use Fe. In fact, I think Fe is an INTJ fail most of the time.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oversimplified view of functions.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oversimplified view of functions.

I'm not looking for you to tell me I am over simplifying things, because I am.

I want to know why Fi comes off like this.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think, because it's paired with Te and Te is black and white. The two can't be separated. Fi sees all the different colors, but then once it draws its conclusions, it gets thrown into one of the Te true/false boxes.

Also, you may be misunderstanding your supposedly closed-minded friends.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I as an INFP cannot relate to that whole stuff at all. I think I am more able to differentiate about positions between black and white than most people I know. For some people, when someone else has done something evil, they cannot view that person anymore rationally, everything they ever did is totally evil and just trying to seperate individual traits or deeds of these people makes you look already crazy to them (you can see that often in politics for example). I don't have such issues. I can see that a person has done something wrong, but that doesn't mean that everything else this person did or is doing is now to be discarded as well.

And in general, I can very well understand that other people see things differently than me. Generally I follow a live and let live approach. Of course, if a person has important views which are totally different from mine, we might maybe not become best friends, but I don't force things on other people or attack them or so. Usually it is me who sees himself confronted though by other types of people who try to force things on me, and that can annoy me.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

I think, because it's paired with Te and Te is black and white. The two can't be separated. Fi sees all the different colors, but then once it draws its conclusions, it gets thrown into one of the Te true/false boxes.

Also, you may be misunderstanding your supposedly closed-minded friends.

at least you get the typical Te response which is when you ask them a thing that you do not understand: you do not understand ! xD

I do understand you completly Antimony but I figured myself that intelligent dom Fi's are really most often a slave to Te. But when they trust you they start to show their inner colorful site and that is pretty entp regarding versatility of opinion. the only problem is they dont show that as easily as we do

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I am just surrounded by wacko Fi/Te minded people? I don't think I am misunderstanding them, because some of them are extremely plain about what they are saying. I try to not make assumptions and read into people's words so I can avoid those sort of misunderstandings.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i don't think i'm black and white about everything, but i do feel that if i believe in something and i'm passionate about it i'm going to believe in it 100%. otherwise what's the point? but i don't push my beliefs on other people or expect anyone to agree with me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some Fi is black and white. Not all of it. But there are always those core beliefs, and all your other beliefs hinge on those. Which is why debating an Fi type can be so annoying sometimes, if you find out that their seemingly shallow belief is impossible to change because it's based on a particular moral value that they will never, ever give up. But since there are so few of those core beliefs, all other beliefs are up for debate, whether the Fi types would like to think that or not -- and those are the ones that they seem certain about, and then change. ENFPs are notorious for this, and it comes from, like [MENTION=9331]freeeekyyy[/MENTION] said, Te simplifying complex Fi beliefs in a clear and concise (but not necessarily 100% accurate) way.

I do think you've been misinterpreting your friends, though; just because they believe something strongly despite not having believed it previously, doesn't mean they can't understand how someone could believe differently. You can believe strongly in God and possibly look down on people who don't, and at the same time understand how someone could be a nonbeliever. And might I add that the behavior you've described can be seen in any type; I may have seen it more from INFJs, than any Fi type!

One last thing: What's open for debate, and what isn't, is completely subjective. Just like Fi types, you, in the OP, made a conscious decision as to what is not open for debate, and what is. Other people may have completely different concepts of that. Other people may think that killing babies is open for debate.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Inferior and tert functions tend to be black and white, same with not very well differentiated aux. I guess its possible to be even dom function dumb.

So it depends on the level of differentiation of function.

Matt_s

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The only thing I'm highly judgmental of is being highly judgmental. Can't make up my mind about the rest.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just read this and thought i'd share...probably more flowery than you care to read...and i'm not religious myself...but...neither is the guy who wrote it.
http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html

i personally think it can feel very black and white to the person with the conviction. i try to be humble enough to realize people come to their own conclusions based on their own very personal life experiences. it's important i think to allow others the freedom to form their own thoughts and not judge or look down upon them when they differ from your own...but...if you try to debate me on say...the death penalty i'd likely come off very black and white about it because to me it is...killing someone is murder...and one doesn't make the other right....so...i feel very black and white about it but i get that others with other life experiences have come to their own conclusions...and i can respect that...but don't debate me on it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Maybe I am just surrounded by wacko Fi/Te minded people? I don't think I am misunderstanding them, because some of them are extremely plain about what they are saying. I try to not make assumptions and read into people's words so I can avoid those sort of misunderstandings.

Yea I dunno. I figured that 99% of the people I meet not nearly sense, feel and think as much as I do. But I am a misanthropic, you shouldnt take too much advice from me :)

KDude

Hah. It seems to me like many Fi types are almost too understanding and flexible.

redacted

Fi looks black and white from an external perspective because... it is. Environmental variables are not relevant by definition, so the values don't change from situation to situation. Arguing with the Fi user won't matter because your words are also external variables.

(This is obviously simplified -- no one has a feeling function that's 100% introverted, not to mention all the other extroverted functions.)

KDude

I don't see how it Fi sticks it head out enough to even notice it that often.

I think INFPs are kind of global in their outlook.. they see many sides. I think they might even project sensitivities on to people when it isn't there (which would be going beyond simply understanding, I guess). It's only on the convictions that they deemed important when the whole black n white thing comes out. Things that they feel are violations on that very global scale, where they see it violates not only them, but something on a general humane level, as they see it. It's hardly petty individualism.

ISFPs are kind of the same. I don't think they like vocalizing a lot of their opinions right away at least. They're comfort seekers.

I could just be talking about Enneagram 9, but I don't think so.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Bonus question- if Fi greatly values logic in a Ti sort of way, does that make them NFP or NTP?

Add: I mean people who use Fi.

I've been told this describes me well, and I'm an ISFP, not an N of any sort.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
i don't think i'm black and white about everything, but i do feel that if i believe in something and i'm passionate about it i'm going to believe in it 100%. otherwise what's the point? but i don't push my beliefs on other people or expect anyone to agree with me.
That's an interesting perspective. I definitely don't agree with it, but it helps me understand Fi more.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi looks black and white from an external perspective because... it is. Environmental variables are not relevant by definition, so the values don't change from situation to situation. Arguing with the Fi user won't matter because your words are also external variables.

(This is obviously simplified -- no one has a feeling function that's 100% introverted, not to mention all the other extroverted functions.)

absolutely...which can come off as or perhaps is very close minded but there are things that i feel no one could convince me otherwise of

KDude

That's just weird though.

EPs and IPs are often open and perceiving types. Fi or not. External variables matter even more than otherwise.