• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do Sensors think about when on auto pilot?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne is Ne, regardless of whether you're an NFP or an SFJ (or an STJ!).

I do a lot of the same things you do -- free association, categorizing, dreaming up hypothetical scenarios. I think about what I'm going to do for the rest of the day, I wonder where I'm going to be in the fall of 2013, I reminisce and relive old memories and decide on their meaningfulness or lack thereof. I often do a lot of philosophical thinking when I'm idle -- though not the grand-scale kind of philosophical thinking, e.g. wondering how the world will be in a billion years, but the more grounded and relevant type of philosophical thinking. What are my life goals, and how will I apply meaning to my life? Should that meaning be created now or when I graduate? What are my internal standards, and why are they different from everyone else's -- and why do I apply my harshest rules only to myself and no one else? And I do this sort of philosophical thinking with the intent of finding an answer -- not asking the questions just for the fun of it.

Of course, I'm usually not idle or on your definition of autopilot; I surround myself with external stimuli (people, music, jobs, tasks, homework) to the point that I rarely think about those deep things -- which is why I ask them almost every time I'm idle.

Yeah. I often think that the first three functions are kind of meshed together in a lot of well developed and healthy adults.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Seriously? All you other Ns out there constantly have stuff on your mind? Half the time my brain is just like "derp". Completely. Empty. Or at most "half thinking" about things, letting thoughts just come into my head bit by bit like an ocean's waves.

I don't get it either :dry: (My mind is nearly exactly how you describe yours...)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
anything and everything... thoughts lead to thoughts and lead to more thoughts and over everything I tend to narrate my life mentally no matter WHAT is going on, even while in autopilot :unsure:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah. I often think that the first three functions are kind of meshed together in a lot of well developed and healthy adults.
:yes: Absolutely! And the fourth one too, if you're a miraculously healthy person -- and I'm not, but those people do exist!

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
so what kinds of things are going on in Sensor's brains when they're relaxing? is it the same as Intuitives? is it more concrete or simplistic?

While I don't know for sure, I imagine whatever wondrous fantasy land of bills, weekend plans, and adhering and preserving established social norms that their minds take them to would probably be traveled to via Jetski. From what I've heard, they looooove Jetskis.

KDude

While I don't know for sure, I imagine whatever wondrous fantasy land of bills, weekend plans, and adhering and preserving established social norms that their minds take them to would probably be traveled to via Jetski. From what I've heard, they looooove Jetskis.

I never quite think of Jetskis in and of themselves. If my mind gets wandering on something like that, I think of obstacles, and creative ways of getting from A to point B on the Jetski.

It's not on my mind a lot to begin with though.. just if my attention is focused on it. It used to be skateboarding. Wherever I looked, I saw a potential skate spot. When I was little, I also used to draw these sort of free form panoramic scenes, with stickmen running through various obstacles from one end of the page to the next. The drawings themselves were kind of bad, but I remember those used to give me hours of entertainment. It was like telling a story while I was drawing it.

I don't give about shit bills. You could say that issue is another obstacle I need to work around.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's a weird definition of autopilot, I see it the same way as Luna, where you're not really thinking.

If you're defining it as "relaxing", well hell that could be thinking about anything. Might as well ask what you think about when you walk down the street, or "what do you think about when you think?"...it's so broad as to be meaningless.

It's Ne. It's not thinking, it just goes on automatic. I really hate it sometimes, but I cannot stop it. In fact now I'm doing Yoga and my biggest challenge is to meditate ie. stop from using Ne.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...without thinking?
Does not compute. I am always thinking.

Autopilot has no direction, but it is still thinking.

Things I usually think about: Things that happened recently, how they could have played out differently or what they will lead to. Picturing the alternate possible conversations in my head, probably talking through them. :nerd: Things that may happen soon, the same "conversation mime / prediction" in my head, but in the future instead of the past. Explaining things/ideas to an imaginary audience. And when I get excited about something like that, I'm usually pacing around my room in circles, saying it out loud. :alttongue: Also, one topic leads tangentially to another, of course, and things often wander along that way.