• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you "see" your thoughts/inner mental process?

redacted

The backdrop of my thoughts is a web of interconnected concepts that I've tried to Ti for consistency over the years.

Moment to moment, my emotional states are bias-lenses. (They warp my view of the backdrop in irrational ways, but lead to new connections.)

Each thought is a function of the backdrop and the bias-lens. The bias lens is a function of the backdrop and the current situation. The new thought updates the backdrop and bias-lens, then the next thought is a function of the new setup.

It's just a computer program.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, if I am daydreaming, then I tend to have movie-like mental images. I also have verbal dialogue in my head. It's like a collage of images, sounds, phrases, and mental atmospheres (which can be something like "feeling-tones", IMO).

Sometimes I "see" nothing; I just experience a pre-verbal, pre-image mental atmosphere. I think this is probably intuition related. There's a knowing, an awareness, an idea emerging from some vague undefined space. From there I try to define it, so it does takes some verbal/visual shape. Sometimes something I've seen/heard will emerge randomly, and then that illuminates what concept is trying to form. There's an association between the vague idea & something existing that helps me realize what the idea even is. It's like trying to remember something you didn't even know you knew :tongue: .

When I'm really making connections between thoughts/ideas, working out what something means, etc, then I'll see colored lines connecting some mental space that must represent each idea (or whatever it is). Or these spaces get moved around in a way so that they make sense. It's like my mind is forming a diagram for me. It's hard to articulate what it is exactly; I think everyone experiences these things though. It's like seeing your mind arrange "nothing". Explaining the connection to myself so that I can articulate it to others or work out the kinks is when it becomes more of a rational, mental dialogue, & where my mind will conjure up clear accompanying images.

If I'm talking about these related ideas/thoughts, then I'll gesture along those lines too. My hands will move to connect invisible things, as that's kind of what making sense of ideas/thoughts can amount to.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure everyone sees anything at all.

I do though. I see shapes and colors.

G

Glycerine

I see words spelled out and faces. I am doing a mixture of observing my environment and doing a running commentary/ analysis of it in my head.

Permabanned
something like this
400_F_7285400_Oasu6Vg5xn8t18fsjAi6UEXlKkb2dO6s.jpg

Silveresque

My thoughts are the same as if I were talking to myself. I hear my voice inside my head. I can hear it right now as I'm typing this, telling me what to write. I almost always think in words, usually complete sentences, though there seems to be some kind of echo as well (the last part of this sentence is echoing around in my head right now). I also usually have music playing in my head. I do often think in "movies" as well, especially when I'm imagining things or making up stories in my head.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also hear my own voice say my thoughts. When I am in Si daydreaming mode, I see bits and clips of things that slide into other bits and clips and lead to completely different tangents.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My thoughts are the same as if I were talking to myself. I hear my voice inside my head. I can hear it right now as I'm typing this, telling me what to write. I almost always think in words, usually complete sentences, though there seems to be some kind of echo as well (the last part of this sentence is echoing around in my head right now). I also usually have music playing in my head. I do often think in "movies" as well, especially when I'm imagining things or making up stories in my head.

Hah, a lot like this for me, though it feels like everything is happening at once. Images, sounds, voices, words, and they are all mashed together so sometimes it can be a bit hard to organize which is why if I don't take time to organize my thoughts before speaking I tend to stumble upon my words or stop mid sentence for no apparent reason...

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know if I can describe it in words. I don't think my thoughts are actually in words or pictures or anything, at least not at the core. They are only that to externalize them (which is almost immediate but there is a difference)...

This picture might be a decent description of my thoughts:

800px-Mandel_zoom_11_satellite_double_spiral.jpg

Not that I think in images that look like fractals, but just the process is described by that picture kinda.

G

garbage

Funnel: Lots o' crap out there, boiled down into whatever perspective I end up having about it, which resulted from the way that I came to understand it.
Sponge: For when I just sit back and "soak in" some knowledge without really doing much with it. *kicks back, lights cigar*
Venn Diagram: how two ideas, concepts, philosophies, perspectives, people, objects, etc. are similar and different; what one might teach me about another
Web: interconnections, man, the interconnections *smokes some more dope*
"I'm just asking the questions, man" detective guy: Because I pretty much (a) ask "why" this, "why" that, "why" anything, or (b) examine the underlying layer for cues that might tell me what the hell is really going on.
Sandwiches: We're all sandwiches

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
All pure instinct. My mind is always empty and my vision is always clear and focussed.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKiykeI2dE&feature=player_embedded"].[/YOUTUBE]

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mostly pictures and movies, sometimes words/ sounds. If I picture words/sounds, I normally picture someone saying the words. Or if I'm conflicted or have insomnia, I picture a conference table full of business men and women talking over each other.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if consciously thinking about something - "movie"-style, rarely with sound though

otherwise, just wispy concepts that fly by briefly, almost without noticing