• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A game: competition of types

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Imagine a bunch of people gotten stranded on a deserted island... and we divide people by types. (assuming equal numbers per 16 type). Have them form teams compete against each other for resources. Which type(s) will fare the best?

What about having 2 types per team?

3 types per team?

Would a single type team do better or a mix group?

--------
Backgrounder just to get you thinking:

You're likely to be stuck on this crappy island for half a year before anybody comes to rescue you. You're not allow to try leaving the island.

I'll arbitrary say you have 4 people per group. Assume you have a basic survival kit with you with food and water that'll last you for 2 days. No guns though... that'll make things too easy.

Object of the game is survival. There are no rules other than you surviving.

I would imagine there'll be limited amount of resources on this island... so there's the temptation to do away with your competitors? On the other hand, cooperation will get you far... at least in the beginning while you're setting things up. ;)

You'll probably need the following

- Shelter
- Food (however you can manage... fishing, hunting, gathering, stealing off other groups? :devil: anything goes)
- Defence (against whatever wild critters that runs around on this island)
- Entertainment? (It'll get boring after awhile...)

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends what the competition involves. Different types will have advantages in different areas, of course.

2-3 people per team would be ideal, depending what the challenges are. Probably 2 would be better than 3, less cooperation needed. Mixed types would be better (wider range of strength) but maybe not so different that cooperation is impossible (omg if you stuck me with an ESFJ I just might murder someone).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too many variables. Too many options. Just about anything could happen.

The simplest outcome: If the ExxJs or even the ExxP's were very aggressive, they would simply murder everyone else outright, then fight among themselves until only one was left. The outcome of that depends on brute strength and who happens to be where when. Basically, decisiveness and reliance on action (not thought or negotiation) would determine the victors.

It is probably more applicable to watch a game such as Survivor, with many more constraints added to the game, then type the contestants and see how it plays out.

Also interesting to watch "Lost" where the same thing (with the constraint that everyone is trying to work together, no one wants to kill each other, and they think they're going home so they all play by 'civilized' rules) is working itself out.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hmmm allow me to be more specific (Yes... me a bad N that leaves too much up in the air :blush:)

You're likely to be stuck on this crappy island for half a year before anybody comes to rescue you. You're not allow to try leaving the island.

I'll arbitrary say you have 4 people per group. Assume you have a basic survival kit with you with food and water that'll last you for 2 days. No guns though... that'll make things too easy.

Object of the game is survival. There are no rules other than you surviving.

I would imagine there'll be limited amount of resources on this island... so there's the temptation to do away with your competitors? On the other hand, cooperation will get you far... at least in the beginning while you're setting things up. ;)

You'll probably need the following

- Shelter
- Food (however you can manage... fishing, hunting, gathering, stealing off other groups? :devil: anything goes)
- Defence (against whatever wild critters that runs around on this island)
- Entertainment? (It'll get boring after awhile...)

That good enough?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
IMHO, ENFJs and ENTPs are the types best suited for team work.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
The REAL Personality Types Made Relevant

^ using this, what do you think would happen to each type?

speaking for myself ("the psycho vigilante" actually isn't too far off base) i would immediately run off, establish a strategic and hidden shelter, then i would develop some weapons (a club) and camouflage (mud and plant resin) and mobilize on major expendable island resources so i could stockpile them. after that, i would stalk the other inhabitants from a distance to see what unfolds and look for opportunities to shift things further into my favor.

any of the domineering and volatile types would need to be killed off, obviously...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
The REAL Personality Types Made Relevant

^ using this, what do you think would happen to each type?
Hah! Well if you go by that the INFJ "conspiracy theorist" either cons somebody into letting them leech or they'll be the first ones to go besides the INFJ "idealist". :rofl1:

With that said, a group of INFJs or INFPs would get along rather nicely with one another... assuming they manage to survive. :headphne:

speaking for myself ("the psycho vigilante" actually isn't too far off base) i would immediately run off, establish a strategic and hidden shelter, then mobilize on major expendable island resources and stockpile them. once that's done, i would develop some weapons and camouflage then follow and watch the other inhabitants from a safe distance to see what unfolds and look for opportunities to shift things further into my favor.
I thought the idea was to be in teams though not run off by yourself... not enough people dynamics if it's all individualistic. Try again! What will happen if you stick a bunch of ISTPs together?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I thought the idea was to be in teams though not run off by yourself... not enough people dynamics if it's all individualistic. Try again! What will happen if you stick a bunch of ISTPs together?

if all the types were stranded on an island they wouldn't necessary stay in neat little groups. i think it would shed more light into type interactions if that constraint was removed from this scenario.

instead, what types do you think would form or join groups? what role would each of these types play in the group?

how would they react/deal with the types who went off on their own? :huh:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
if all the types were stranded on an island they wouldn't necessary stay in neat little groups. i think it would shed more light into type interactions if that constraint was removed from this scenario.

instead, what types do you think would form or join groups? what role would each of these types play in the group?

how would they react/deal with the types who were out to save themselves? :huh:

Turn it into a free-for-all? Hmmmm no reason not to. I guess my original intention for this is to see if there are optimized type of interactions for this scenario... but we can simply look at group dynamics and derive conclusions from that.

Groups... well you would think the SJs will tend to form groups, and to some extent the NFs and ENTs. IXTX don't like groups for some reason. ;)

Right off the bat, INFJs I suspect will prefer mix type groups.

Then you get group vs group vs "outsiders" fun and games.

Need other people's input! What sort of groups are most likely to be formed? Hierarchical (leader and followers) or equal status groups? What type goes into what position?

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Should be easy, as long as the extroverts are meaty and easily digestable.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I'd probably bounce around from group to group helping whoever I could.

Until they piss me off..

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
I would probably be helping everyone at first, but once the ExTJs start killing all the other types and eventually eachother, I'll be moving in with the ISFPs to start an egalitarian commune in a cave.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
4 you say? Ok I'll play. :)

ENTP (I'd have to be there, so I cannot start by killing myself off, right).
ISFJ - They would be good for ensuring some order for daily survival and remind us when to eat and what cannot be eaten (other team members).
ISTP - They'd probably be equipped to help the group survive, practical and quick. But I'd want a loyal one, with high Ni.
ESFP - They'd provide a glue that binds a group together. You always need someone like that. A developed Te though.

This is not a killing bunch, but it'd be a bunch that's hard to kill because they'd be team players, and a bunch that knows how to play low-key and is flexible/adaptable. I could also throw the ESFP to charm people and I guess I could help on the alliance-making. :blush:

I'd also have gathered most of the functions within the dominant and auxiliary, except for Ni, and Te methinks. Hence the qualification for the last two with higher tertiaries.

With xxTJs, you'd be lucky if they do not eat you in your sleep, methinks. And they'd be warring so unsubtly that all manner of revenge would be headed their way, so the focus would be on fighting, vs survival first of all, which on a deserted island, your focus should be.

And most importantly, it'd be a group that be fun to spend 6 months with, to me at least. :yes:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
It seems as if you're the only one who can follow directions ae... :rofl1:

Badlands: Why ISFP? I'm curious as to the rational behind people's choices... Also I question whether EXTJs will kill everybody off... afterall they need followers to be happy.

Ae: Is it likely that the ISTP will want to stay within the group? We have two ISTPs here indicating no desire to be in a group...

Also are there any thoughts from the Js? I'm only getting responses from Ps...

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
If you wanted a quite time:

ISTp INFj ESTj ENFp

Fancy a party?:

ENFj ESTp INFp ISTj

Can't really think of any threesome mixes that would overly work well. Ahem.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I predict that the team with the most balanced people would win, regardless of type, but only if at least one had some basic knowledge and experience in survival.

:sad: Elfie, you can be on my team then. This INTP is going to make the best of this little tropical island vacation! :party2:

If we like the island, are we allowed to stay when this is all over? :happy2:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Would people mind giving me rationals to their selections? Although it certainly looks as if people favor balanced type groups.

oh god. all i know is that the INTP would be dead.
It's hypothetical elfie... now go pick out your groupies! You can pretend to be a different type if you wish. ;)

If you wanted a quite time:

ISTp INFj ESTj ENFp

Fancy a party?:

ENFj ESTp INFp ISTj

Can't really think of any threesome mixes that would overly work well. Ahem.
Explanations? Also are you referring to socionic types there? I'm not overly familiar with them... :unsure:

If we like the island, are we allowed to stay when this is all over? :happy2:
Yes yes! Make it tropical paradise! :party2: