• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI is a Preference

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ego does the picking subconsciously.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You mean what you like being an indicator of what your ego prefers, right?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As far as I'm concerned, type is not an unchangable aspect of us; if one wills it, one can theoretically change oneself, but I imagine that such an endeavor is extremely difficult.

KDude

Read this interview

http://www.personalitypathways.com/thomson/type3.html

Your approach to type as the characteristic way we appropriate experience and give it meaning changed my approach to teaching MBTI ® theory. Instead of saying a type uses a function, I try to convey the more difficult characteristic orientation of each type. This approach alleviates the quagmire of labeling behavior, such as watering plants, as using Sensing.

LTB: Jung didn't describe the functions as skills; he compared them to the four directions on a compass. Orientation, not innate ability. For example, you can make a reliable correlation between North and whale fishing, but orienting yourself by North won't give you the skills to work on a whale boat. Conversely, taking a job on a whale boat won't tell you how it feels to orient yourself by North.

Each function orients conscious awareness in terms of its own psychic content, just as the four directions orient us to different parts of the external landscape. To take a direction always leaves a path not taken. If you're going North, you're axiomatically not going South. Over time, favoring one orientation over another becomes habitual, assembling a consistent approach to the meaning of our experiences.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What I like should point me in the direction of my ego. Right?

What your ego wants is what you consciously want.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the cognitive functions are preferences, and there's some room for variation, some being stronger in one person or another. But MBTI codes are abstractions, and it doesn't matter how much Ne vs Ti a person uses, they're still an ENTP. It doesn't matter that I have maybe a stronger Te than many other INTJs, I'm still an INTJ.

wolfy

awsm
Try this preference test. It not only includes what you might be but also what you prefer to be and what you're attracted to. It's 144 questions so...

http://similarminds.com/pref_jung.html

Interesting test. I got...

Actualized type: ESTP
(who you are)
Extroverted (E) 70.83% Introverted (I) 29.17%
Sensing (S) 62.5% Intuitive (N) 37.5%
Thinking (T) 69.57% Feeling (F) 30.43%
Perceiving (P) 60% Judging (J) 40%

ESTP - "Promotor". Action! When present, things begin to happen. Fiercely competitive. Entrepreneur. Often uses shock effect to get attention. Negotiator par excellence. 4.3% of total population.
*The current algorithm breaks the tie randomly so refresh the page to see alternate results

Preferred type: ESTP
(who you prefer to be)
Extroverted (E) 68.97% Introverted (I) 31.03%
Sensing (S) 62.5% Intuitive (N) 37.5%
Thinking (T) 58.33% Feeling (F) 41.67%
Perceiving (P) 56.76% Judging (J) 43.24%

ESTP - "Promotor". Action! When present, things begin to happen. Fiercely competitive. Entrepreneur. Often uses shock effect to get attention. Negotiator par excellence. 4.3% of total population.
*The current algorithm breaks the tie randomly so refresh the page to see alternate results

Attraction type: ESFP
(who you are attracted to)
Extroverted (E) 78.57% Introverted (I) 21.43%
Sensing (S) 50% Intuitive (N) 50%
Feeling (F) 55.56% Thinking (T) 44.44%
Perceiving (P) 68.75% Judging (J) 31.25%

ESFP - "Entertainer". Radiates attractive warmth and optimism. Smooth, witty, charming, clever. Fun to be with. Very generous. 8.5% of the total population.

wolfy

awsm

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What got me thinking about it was my attraction to being typed istp 8w9 sp/sx. To me that sounded like a preferable way to be. Not preferable in that I want to be it, preferable in that in sounds like a preference.

Ok, so you got no idea what ego is?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What? You were saying that what I consciously want is what my ego wants. I know what consciously interests me. What's your point?

I tried to figure out what it had to do with ego that you said and only thing i could come up with was some stuff thats not actually about ego. Soo i figured out that you dont have much understanding about what ego is and asked if thats true incase you are interested to learn about the subject

wolfy

awsm
I tried to figure out what it had to do with ego that you said and only thing i could come up with was some stuff thats not actually about ego. Soo i figured out that you dont have much understanding about what ego is and asked if thats true incase you are interested to learn about the subject

I just came from the other angle. I know what I like, if that reflects my ego then I can see that. I don't want a whole lot of stuff I can't see with my conscious mind. But if you reckon it might be interesting tell me about it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just came from the other angle. I know what I like, if that reflects my ego then I can see that. I don't want a whole lot of stuff I can't see with my conscious mind. But if you reckon it might be interesting tell me about it.

Too long story if you dont have serious interest on it

sculpting

As far as I'm concerned, type is not an unchangable aspect of us; if one wills it, one can theoretically change oneself, but I imagine that such an endeavor is extremely difficult.

In our minds we have the underlying template sitting dormant for every type-but we have strengthened the...mind-map... for the type that we are. Transitioning from one type to another may be possible-but certain types may be easier to get to, dependent upon what type you are. Once there, there is no way you can mistake it for anything but a drastic shift.

Once there....you may find you have access to the new pattern of cognitive thought, but you lack the data that type would have accumulated over a liftime of usage. Thus even with the proper new type mind-map, you lack the historical Pi data to fully utilize the new mind-map as effectively as a native born person of that type.

Additionally-given the strength of the former type mind-map, there is a constant struggle to maintain the new mind-map...it requires an almost meditative focus to stay "in type"-a strange balancing of mind, before the former native mind-map snaps back into place.

Most interestingly-the two mind-maps find each others judgments to be totally ridiculous and even baffling. Additionally, the two different mind-maps create a host of phisiological changes in stress, anxiety, perception, even to the point of minor physical ailments being supressed. Time delta between the mind-map changes was about 30 minutes of slow change to move and upwards of miutes to days to revert.

Both mind maps are still the same person-there is never a feeling os splitting-always there is a core self, but the mindmaps can drastically shift perception and judgement of the same event and reactivity to the same event. Emotional pain was also perceived very differently.

these have been my experiences, of course. I'd be interested in hearing from others.